Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2019, 02:27 PM

4,445 posts, read 1,449,895 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Sheldon Adelson, Donald Sussman, the Koch brothers network, Michael Bloomberg, Thomas Steyer, Charles Schwab, Linda McMahon etc etc etc.

These are the people the politicians you vote for listen to. They write their checks and own them.

These are the people who decide who'll win the wealth primary. Then you get to choose their puppet candidate in the primary and they get to set policy once the candidate is in office.

Try running for Congress and see how far you'll get without begging the super rich for money. You'll be crushed and it would be a miracle if you even get 0.1% of the vote even if everyone in your state support your policies. Thats the power of big money.

Is this illegal? I don't think so. And has there ever been a time when powerful interests had zero affect on politics and politicians? Again, I don't think so.

So who is to blame? The billionaire operating through a PAC to influence policy or the receptive politician who is enamored with the privilege and prestige their position affords them? Maybe we should elect a billionaire so that money isn't a player in affecting policy positions. Oh, wait.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2019, 02:32 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times
Quote:
Soros is up there as well. I dont have any problem naming him.

If you seriously dont think these people own the politicians you vote for, I have a bridge to sell you.
How do they buy politicians who are democratically elected by us?

This makes zero sense.

Old 07-05-2019, 02:48 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,961,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncguy50 View Post
Is this illegal? I don't think so.
The ruling class makes sure this corruption is legal of course. Thats how the system works.

I ask you, try to run for Congress and see how much support you'll get. You know you wont stand a chance. Thats the power of big money. They set the rules of the game and you dont have the money to.

Old 07-05-2019, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post

This makes zero sense.
By bribing them of course. They have already passed the wealth primary and you get to pick the puppets who will represent you. Who did you vote for? Trump? Some other puppet?

Old 07-05-2019, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Federal tax revenue increased after Kennedy cut taxes in 1964, even though a decrease in tax revenue was predicted by Kennedy's critics.
  • FY 1968 - $153 billion
  • FY 1967 - $149 billion
  • FY 1966 - $131 billion
  • FY 1965 - $117 billion
  • FY 1964 - $113 billion
  • FY 1963 - $107 billion
  • FY 1962 - $100 billion
  • FY 1961 - $94 billion
  • FY 1960 - $93 billion
https://obamawhitehouse.archives.gov...s/hist01z1.xls

Just like federal tax revenue increased in 2018 after Trump's tax cut, even though, yet again... a decrease in tax revenue was predicted by Trump's critics. They never learn... /smh
Tax revenue increase every year unless there is a big recession. What matters is tax revenue as a share of GDP.

Old 07-05-2019, 03:09 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post

This makes zero sense.
You cannot possibly be that naïve! This is obviously a well practiced attempt to remain deliberately obtuse.

Old 07-05-2019, 03:12 PM

89,018 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Tax revenue increase every year unless there is a big recession. What matters is tax revenue as a share of GDP.
Not really. There is no rule that the Fed Gov has to spend a certain percentage of GDP. And contrary to the critics' "predictions" , federal tax revenue DIDN'T decrease after tax cuts. Tax cuts stimulate the economy, increasing both GDP and federal tax revenue.

Old 07-05-2019, 03:50 PM

6,737 posts, read 4,419,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Capitalism works until all of the wealth is transferred to the very top. At that point, the bottom 99% have nothing to spend, and the whole house of cards collapses. Then you get guys like Hitler, Mussolini, and Stalin.

History is repeating itself.

I've seen this coming for years. Its heading that way. Things get done to appease the bottom, but it is a house of cards. The top make the rules.

Old 07-05-2019, 03:57 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,363,818 times
Print more, steal more, then look at the stats again.

Works for me.

Old 07-05-2019, 04:12 PM

33,316 posts, read 12,527,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...=.65d2b9a175c5

From the true official source - fed:
“the average American family has yet to recover fully from the 2008 financial crisis, the Federal Reserve found”

"Boshara, of the St. Louis Fed, pointed out that credit card and auto loan delinquencies have risen this year, the opposite of what Wall Street expected in good economic times."

"In discussions with 30 Americans unable to pay all of their bills, a clear pattern emerged: Most were able to eke by until they faced an unexpected crisis such as a job loss, cancer, car trouble or storm damage.

Economists fear such precarious financial situations put many Americans at risk if there is even a mild setback in the economy, potentially setting up the next recession to be worse than anything in recent history except the Great Recession."

“We are headed toward a political crisis, if not an economic one.”

Hey, I'm doing fine.....but that was never the question here. The concern was always the "forgotten Americans" of whom it was claimed they will WIN so much they will get tired of winning. They are getting tired all right....

"As a nurse’s aide, she makes above Ohio’s $8.55-an-hour minimum wage but not much over $10" - that's in Ohio, the place where MAGA was supposed to be centered. $10 an hour......and she is getting VERY tired.
"“I’m 25, but I feel like I am in my late 30s,”"

Meanwhile, 2 Billion dollar bombers are putting on a display in DC.
In no particular order:

1. Why did someone in her particular situation think it was fine to have children?

2. Why wasn’t the guy mentioned a husband rather than a boyfriend?

3. Did the guy just disappear? The way the passage is worded, it sounds as though he was contributing financially before the breakup. The article uses the wording “on her own”...so why is he no longer contributing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies