Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2019, 03:49 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,357,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
It's legitimate issue, something like 85% of email is spam costing an estimated 20 billion annually and that is before you get into the costs of people that have been duped, phished or otherwise scammed. There is little or no real expense to the spammers since they utilizing stolen resources.

The OP's idea is not workable.... not sure if there is an answer.
85% of email contain IRS notices?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2019, 04:04 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestGuest View Post
l AtEach day on my account I am deluged with junk emaills. CBD oils, Keto Diets. This is on my aol account -not my business which is Gmail. I press "unsubscribe" but its ignored.

If both the companies that sell junk- and the service they use KNEW they would be punished- Perhaps $5000 first offense and increments of $5000 for further offenses. Maybe they would stop. Its not impossible to do. Companies would be extra careful with whom they select and reputable mailers could actually get more business.

Why not?

And no I don't have ED either, if I did I would just tell my wife to invite her friend Gwen to join-two nurses- much better than taking pills from unknown sources. LOL

i say we go one better, if someone is in teh business of sending out junk mail, or junk email, then their physical address should be published so that if people receive say more than three unwanted mailings from them after unsubscribing, the the people receiving the unwanted junk mailings should have the right to go pound the people sending said junk mail, one time without repercussions.

Old 07-05-2019, 05:53 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,524,808 times
[quote=ottomobeale;55592693]Many come from foreign sources. They will laugh at US fines.

Read all of the post- we would penalize American Companies too, and perhaps we can get an international accord- like with extradition.

-------

I don't often like the govt involved but they are here to protect people. This can't be done privately.

Old 07-06-2019, 09:26 AM

8,052 posts, read 12,772,027 times
I use G-mail and have found it is very effective in filtering out the spam. I think any law would be as effective as the robo-call law.

Old 07-06-2019, 10:40 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,589,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Also include in this law the same penalty for robocalls and number spoofing.
Ive always thought telemarketers should be forced to announce which company they were calling on behalf of, and/or which company had hired them to telemarket, this way, people can direct their anger onto the right entity, instead of how it usually is, on the telemarketing folks.

Old 07-06-2019, 10:44 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,378,016 times
Unsubscribing or putting things into spam doesn't solve the problem. A business can create new email accounts and continue sending out SPAM. Many businesses constantly create new email accounts to send their SPAM from. That's why blocking the email address doesn't work, they just create new ones. I had this problem with a trampoline park business that kept spamming me every day, all day long. I wrote them letters and called them, it still hasn't stopped. Businesses that do this are aggressive, desperate for customers/money.

Old 07-06-2019, 11:31 AM

6,835 posts, read 2,399,317 times
What I don't get is why the GMail accounts that I normally use get currently get more combined spam messages than my primary Yahoo Mail account.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies