Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2019, 10:06 AM

28,620 posts, read 18,668,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
The only traditionally white role that I think can conceivably can be black, and some people even disagree with me on this, is James Bond since James Bond isn't really his name just a code name and its assumed every new 007 actor is a new spy, and there are blacks serving in MI6 so conceivably a black spy can assume the name James Bond and 007. Other than this, I think traditionally white characters should remain white, black characters who have black actors, Asians should be played by Asians, etc.
Well, the novels do explicitly identify Bond as Scottish.

Old 07-08-2019, 10:06 AM

2,528 posts, read 1,651,890 times
Everybody talking about the Black Ariel, but don't even blink about the fact that this white mermaid has a Jewish male name...

Old 07-08-2019, 12:07 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,386,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
I checked that just yesterday. Yes, the original story definitely identifies Ariel as having blue eyes and "white" (not just "fair") skin. It notes the white skin a couple of times.

Of course, that might mean dead-white like a bass.

Although I'm black myself and I'm perfectly happy with black actors getting good roles, I do draw a distinction particularly when ethnicity is an integral part of the character. For instance, if the character is supposed to be a radical member of the Irish Republican Army, he should pretty much look like a typical Irishman.

So Mulan should look Asian.

And I'd lean heavily in the direction of the author's description even if the part itself is arguably not a specific ethnicity--such as in this case when Anderson did, indeed, explicitly describe the character as white-skinned.

That is a point that has been made by others. Disney made the decision to move the story setting to the Caribbean in 1985. It can be argued that they then erred ethnically in not making the characters black at that time.

So their choice in live action is either to move the venue back to Denmark or change the characters to black. Or do nothing. All three choices open them to criticism in this modern day.

Why would you want the movie to fail? I didn't want James Bond to fail for making M a woman.

IMO, caring that much either way is a personal issue.
I mean I hope the movie flops. Admittedly, it is within the last 18 months that I have been become more vocal about being against the race-bending, gender-bending, and orientation-bending of characters. Not sure what it was that really sparked that mindset. However, had I such views 20+ years ago, I might have said that "M" should always be played by a White guy.

Old 07-08-2019, 12:07 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,483,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Jesus was definitely not Philistine according to the bible. And the bible always ascribed the Philistines as being European.
Jesus was Middle Eastern (A first century Jew) and probably looked a lot like Middle Eastern people in that region today. Also, he was a blue collar worker. A carpenter in fact. And he lived before electricity.

A couple of things are suggested by that. First, since there was no air conditioning and no electric lights or electric appliances, it was not as compelling to be inside when the sun was out. Also, there were no power tools for carpenters to use.

From that I would project that he was probably pretty strong for his size, as he worked manually with his body and hands. Also, being out in the sun a lot, he likely had a pretty good tan, just like blue collar outdoor workers in our day frequently tend to have as well. So, he likely was noticeably darker in his skin tones that the indoor types from that region in our current time. Just speculating, but this all seems pretty obvious and not easily disputable, at least as far as I am concerned.

For the record, the Bible does not recognize different "races". That is a racist thing that current day racists obsess about. But as far as his skin pigmentation, he was Middle Eastern and therefore almost certainly looked like a Middle Easterner.

And I challenge you to show us a quote from the Bible that represents the Philistines as being European (or non-European for that matter). I do not believe you can do it.

Last edited by Spartacus713; 07-08-2019 at 12:29 PM..

Old 07-08-2019, 12:18 PM

9,892 posts, read 9,533,858 times
They were talking about this on the news today. In the very original story, she was green.

Old 07-08-2019, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
They were talking about this on the news today. In the very original story, she was green.
In the original sailor's tales, she was a dugong.

Old 07-08-2019, 12:27 PM

BTW, the way the movie distribution contracts with China are written, the Chinese market isn't that significant in terms of dollars in the bank for Disney.

The numbers look good for people keeping box office records, but the Chinese keep most of the money.

Old 07-08-2019, 02:29 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,386,738 times
Disney does enjoy race-bending and even gender-bending. In the MCU, the Ancient One is a White female magician. In the comics, Ancient One was an old Tibetan/Himalayan man. So, them catering to SJWs is not new.

Old 07-08-2019, 02:42 PM

5,968 posts, read 2,210,240 times
Arguing about the shade of a mermaid?
Tell you what someone go interview a mermaid and ask them what they think.

Mermaid's are not humans so why hold their skin color to that standard only. Why not a HOT PINK mermaid. How about a aquamarine?

So much snowflakery going on this board today, I can no longer tell Liberal tears from Conservative tears because your both crying about everything. All I see now are two pigs wrestling in the mud, both look dirty to me.

Old 07-08-2019, 02:45 PM

52,499 posts, read 34,224,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
First off, The Little Mermaid is a fairy tale written by Hans Christian Andersen, not a myth.

Just because Hans Christian Andersen was Danish and white, doesn't mean every character also has to be Danish and white, unless there was something specific to their background that would completely change their story if they were not Danish and white.

What exactly about the Little Mermaid's story requires her to be white?
the story itself?

Quote:
There were six lovely children, but the youngest one was the most beautiful of them all, her skin was as clear and delicate as a rose petal, her eyes as blue as the deepest sea, but like the rest of them she had no feet, her body ended in a fish’s tail.
Quote:
‘This is my wish!’ the little mermaid said and was deathly pale.
Quote:
Then she saw her sisters rise up out of the sea, they were pale, as she was; their long beautiful hair no longer fluttered in the wind – it had been cut off.

now you will tell us how black folks can also be deathly pale with blue eyes and long fluttering hair
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies