Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2019, 08:02 AM

14,497 posts, read 9,432,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
Dragons still exist today, on the island of Komodo.

Of course they do. I'm referring primarily large dragons, which people today think are mythical but which actually correspond to the remains of dinosaurs - allegedly extinct for 65 million years (and yet, they've found tissue and protein fragments belonging to such animals as the T. Rex: https://answersingenesis.org/fossils/dinosaur-tissue/)

From the link I posted:

In 330 BC, after Alexander the Great invaded India, he brought back reports of seeing a great hissing dragon living in a cave, which people were worshiping as a god. One of Alexander the Great's lieutenants (Onesicritus) stated that the Indian king Abisarus kept serpents that were 120 and 210 feet long

[...]

Marco Polo wrote:
Here are found snakes and huge serpents, ten paces in length and ten spans in girth (meaning 50 ft. long and 100 inch circumference). At the fore part, near the head, they have two short legs, each with three claws, as well as eyes larger than a loaf and very glaring. The jaws are wide enough to swallow a man, the teeth are large and sharp, and their whole appearance is so formidable that neither man, nor any kind of animal can approach them without terror. Others are of smaller size, being eight, six, or five paces long.

Old 07-07-2019, 08:09 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,247,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snj90 View Post
Of course they do. I'm referring primarily large dragons, which people today think are mythical but which actually correspond to the remains of dinosaurs - allegedly extinct for 65 million years (and yet, they've found tissue and protein fragments belonging to such animals as the T. Rex: https://answersingenesis.org/fossils/dinosaur-tissue/)

From the link I posted:

In 330 BC, after Alexander the Great invaded India, he brought back reports of seeing a great hissing dragon living in a cave, which people were worshiping as a god. One of Alexander the Great's lieutenants (Onesicritus) stated that the Indian king Abisarus kept serpents that were 120 and 210 feet long

[...]

Marco Polo wrote:
Here are found snakes and huge serpents, ten paces in length and ten spans in girth (meaning 50 ft. long and 100 inch circumference). At the fore part, near the head, they have two short legs, each with three claws, as well as eyes larger than a loaf and very glaring. The jaws are wide enough to swallow a man, the teeth are large and sharp, and their whole appearance is so formidable that neither man, nor any kind of animal can approach them without terror. Others are of smaller size, being eight, six, or five paces long.
People used to like telling a lot of stories. And they were usually greatly exaggerated. They didn’t have Fios back then.

Did I tell you about the fish I caught the other day?

Old 07-07-2019, 09:05 AM

12,275 posts, read 7,138,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
What's wrong with having Christian values? How can anyone argue that the Ten Commandments aren't a good code to live by? Some of our laws are based on them. One doesn't have to be a church goer or a religious nut to see the value in living by them.
The first 4 of the 10 commandments have nothing to do with being a good person, and everything to do with submission and worship of a specific religion.

The other 6 don't need a religious framework, they're just common sense "does it hurt others? Then let's discourage it" principles.

Old 07-07-2019, 09:07 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,535,277 times
Lightbulb Pew Research Poll: Over 30% of Americans Say Being a Chrstian Is Important to be "Truly an American."

So what?

30% is a minority and that minority will continue to shrink.

https://religionnews.com/2014/08/01/...graphs-church/

Here comes the future, boys and girls.

Old 07-07-2019, 09:11 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,597,823 times
Many Christians believe in the concept of Separation of church and state; many Christians have no issues with gays or gay marriage..

I agree: Christians should let people be, for the most part, many of them do.

Do us a favor that stop pretending that you all know so much about Christians and Christianity. If you have an issue with the "christian" in your life (mostly, perhaps your parents), then try resolving that issue with that person in your life. More productive this way, and you will be a much happier individual.

Religious or spiritual awareness are all private journey. Don't lump us altogether as if we all look, dress, behave, think exactly the same.

Yeah, need to be said.

Old 07-07-2019, 09:19 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,931,036 times
Im surprised it's that low, tbh. After all, this is the land of American Civil Religion.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_civil_religion

Old 07-07-2019, 11:45 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,746,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Theories are theories for a reason. It's because they have not been proven. I'm not arguing against evolution. I'm arguing against a false statement.
I'm not interested in debating religious doctrine in a politics forum, so I've been ignoring this side trip. However, I can't let this one slide by. In daily life, it's true that we use the word theory to mean something like an educated guess. That isn't how a scientist uses the word, at all. Physicists have a 'theory of gravity', even though they're not guessing about it. The underlying theory is how you organize the facts that you have.

Most modern biologists agree with phrase that "nothing makes sense in biology without evolution". They're not saying that evolution has been proven. They're saying that all the billions of facts we now know about life on earth can best be assembled into an entire picture by using evolution.

Old 07-07-2019, 11:53 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
I'm not interested in debating religious doctrine in a politics forum, so I've been ignoring this side trip. However, I can't let this one slide by. In daily life, it's true that we use the word theory to mean something like an educated guess. That isn't how a scientist uses the word, at all. Physicists have a 'theory of gravity', even though they're not guessing about it. The underlying theory is how you organize the facts that you have.

Most modern biologists agree with phrase that "nothing makes sense in biology without evolution". They're not saying that evolution has been proven. They're saying that all the billions of facts we now know about life on earth can best be assembled into an entire picture by using evolution.
I never said it was an "educated guess".

So you call me out and then agree with me. I can't tell you the number of times this has happened.

Old 07-07-2019, 12:03 PM

18,466 posts, read 15,247,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I never said it was an "educated guess".

So you call me out and then agree with me. I can't tell you the number of times this has happened.
He’s not agreeing with you. You still seem to think the words “proven” and “fact” are synonymous. In scientific terms, these are not interchangeable.

As I said, in science, something becomes “scientific fact” when it is generally believed that it will not be DISproven by new evidence. That is different than proving something. Again, science is not about proving. It is about disproving.

Old 07-07-2019, 12:07 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnesthesiaMD View Post
He’s not agreeing with you. You still seem to think the words “proven” and “fact” are synonymous. In scientific terms, these are not interchangeable.

As I said, in science, something becomes “scientific fact” when it is generally believed that it will not be DISproven by new evidence. That is different than proving something beyond doubt. Again, science is not about proving. It is about disproving.
Science is indeed about proving. It's why you search for facts. I'm sorry for offending your faith.

To note, you called me out when you agreed with my statement also.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies