Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support the Death Penalty?
Yes, and it should be expanded 55 42.64%
Yes, and it is about right where it should be 19 14.73%
Yes, but it should be reduced 8 6.20%
No, I generally oppose it 47 36.43%
Voters: 129. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2019, 04:54 AM

58,632 posts, read 26,934,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
Excellent post, but many people, especially in the Red States, would strongly disagree with you. I think they take great delight in the death penalty used as vengeance, while not worried that God said in the bible, "Vengeance is mine!".
""Vengeance is mine!"

JUSTICE is mine!

Old 07-08-2019, 06:00 AM

7,420 posts, read 2,689,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corpgypsy View Post
Opposed!

Capital punishment is an intolerable denial of civil liberties and is inconsistent with the fundamental values of our democratic system. The death penalty is uncivilized in theory and unfair and inequitable in practice.

Capital punishment inherently violates the constitutional ban against cruel and unusual punishment and the guarantees of due process of law and of equal protection under the law.

The death penalty system in the US is applied in an unfair and unjust manner against people, largely dependent on how much money they have, the skill of their attorneys, race of the victim and where the crime took place.

The death penalty is a waste of taxpayer funds and has no public safety benefit. The vast majority of law enforcement professionals surveyed agree that capital punishment does not deter violent crime; a survey of police chiefs nationwide found they rank the death penalty lowest among ways to reduce violent crime.

Innocent people are too often sentenced to death. Since 1973 over 156 people have been released from death rows in 26 states because of innocence. Nationally, at least one person is exonerated for every 10 that are executed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
You made LOT of claims as if FACTS, when in FACT they are nothing but your OWN biased OPINIONS.
You are mistaken. Do your research, sir, before you call me a liar, yet again. I grow weary of your false accusations.

http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/docu...ceRadeletStudy.

Andrew Cohen, Yes, America, We Have Executed an Innocent man

Carlos DeLuna Case: The Fight to Prove an Innocent Man Was Executed, PBS Newshour, May 24, 2012, http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/law/j...lty_05-24.html.

Elizabeth Rapaport, A Modest Proposal: The Aged of Death Row Should be Deemed Too Old to Execute.

Michael J. Carter, Wanting to Die: The Cruel Phenomenon of “Death Row Syndrome".

Dr. Karen Harrison and Anouska Tamony, Death Row Phenomenon, Death Row Syndrome. Study of Capital Punishment Cases in the U.S.... Journal of Criminology.

Last edited by corpgypsy; 07-08-2019 at 06:17 AM..

Old 07-08-2019, 06:03 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,776,370 times
Actually, your evidence makes your argument look exactly like opinion.... Googling stuff and pasting it, is not exactly evidence... your evidence of other people's opinion is not exactly evidence... also, your evidence has even less to do with what your stated opinion is... to sum it up, you are all over place with opinions and back it up with other people's opinions that have nothing to do with your opinions...

Old 07-08-2019, 06:16 AM

7,420 posts, read 2,689,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Actually, your evidence makes your argument look exactly like opinion.... Googling stuff and pasting it, is not exactly evidence... your evidence of other people's opinion is not exactly evidence... also, your evidence has even less to do with what your stated opinion is... to sum it up, you are all over place with opinions and back it up with other people's opinions that have nothing to do with your opinions...
^^^ This is only opinion.

Actually taking a course on the topic where I actually read the books I cited and participating in projects that actually produce the type of work and conclusions that you criticize and don't like, are a bit more than your phony cut and paste evidence bashing accusation.

So be it.

I stand by my initial post. You don't have to agree.

Peace.

Last edited by corpgypsy; 07-08-2019 at 06:56 AM..

Old 07-08-2019, 01:52 PM

15,839 posts, read 6,907,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
What do you consider as evidence? Your opinions?

Old 07-08-2019, 02:03 PM

68,292 posts, read 54,116,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Obvious cases... they should be put to death in under a month.

Ft.Hood shooter
Dylan Roof

Yes, when there's absolutely no doubt as to guilt and there is no evidence of any legal mistakes taking place during trial, I believe appeals should not be allowed based solely on not liking the verdict.

To say taking an eye for an eye leads to a blind world is nonsense when only those who've taken an eye are punished. IMO, when someone willfully takes the life of another and there are no extenuating circumstances such as self-defense, they forfeit their own right to life.

Old 07-08-2019, 02:25 PM

4,623 posts, read 1,917,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Obvious cases... they should be put to death in under a month.

Ft.Hood shooter
Dylan Roof
I pretty much agree with this, although not with the quick push. They should certainly get a fair trial. But if we have absolute evidence. DNA, Video, etc. it only places a burden and risk to the rest of society by keeping such a person around. They have nothing to lose by attempting to hurt others while in prison and the money spent on them could be spent helping keep others from making the same bad choices.

There is also the fact that way to many people have been shown to be innocent after years in prison. How many have died because of our urge for vengeance. Blackstone wrote "it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer" this is sometimes hard to swallow until you think about the "one" especially if its YOU.

Old 07-08-2019, 03:04 PM

45,321 posts, read 26,891,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remco67 View Post
I pretty much agree with this, although not with the quick push. They should certainly get a fair trial. But if we have absolute evidence. DNA, Video, etc. it only places a burden and risk to the rest of society by keeping such a person around. They have nothing to lose by attempting to hurt others while in prison and the money spent on them could be spent helping keep others from making the same bad choices.

There is also the fact that way to many people have been shown to be innocent after years in prison. How many have died because of our urge for vengeance. Blackstone wrote "it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer" this is sometimes hard to swallow until you think about the "one" especially if its YOU.
Then we have left the realm of "obvious" cases.

I'm talking about when police encounter the shooter and see him in the act - and the perp gets hurt in a shootout, or the shooter confesses.

Old 07-08-2019, 03:58 PM

68,292 posts, read 54,116,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remco67 View Post

There is also the fact that way to many people have been shown to be innocent after years in prison.
How many have died because of our urge for vengeance. Blackstone wrote "it is better that ten guilty persons escape than that one innocent suffer" this is sometimes hard to swallow until you think about the "one" especially if its YOU.

That's really a distinctly different issue than whether the death penalty is just when there's absolutely no doubt as to guilt. I agree with Blackstone, but I also know there are cases when when there's not only no reasonable doubt but NO doubt whatsoever.

Old 07-08-2019, 04:14 PM

1,349 posts, read 660,064 times
No-one ever doesn't commit a crime because they are afraid of consequences.

EVERY one of those thought they could get away with it. How stupid does one think criminals are ? Not talking about gangs which seem to be some people's way of thinking.

If death penalty is a deterrent, doesn't look like it.

Just another cruel mindset of human beings.

Death penalty is just a barbaric way to teach down to monsters. As in, defenders of killing rightfully are lowering themselves and "values" to that level : barbaric. Just as their prey of choice.

Last edited by personne; 07-08-2019 at 04:23 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies