Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-31-2019, 08:53 AM

4,540 posts, read 2,765,810 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
And all this doom and gloom put forth by Democrats they still can't come up with a platform that represents these people's needs. Last thing they want is to be turned into Baltimore.

That says more about the bleating of crazed and loony Democrats than anything else.

Correct?
Democrats have abandoned these people. By the mid-80's, most of the mines where I grew up were shut down due to EPA regulations (too much sulfur content in the local coal).

And then Billybob signed NAFTA, betraying essentially ALL of the working class.

So yeah, these days Democrats are offering nothing that these people want except welfare (which they're too proud to admit that they're dependent on). At least Republicants are offering them some fake-jesus, flag-waving, and hating brown people. All fun diversions... but they don't pay the bills.

I've got no solution except to move elsewhere. Which is what I did as soon as I was done with high school.

Old 07-31-2019, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltdesigner View Post
I lived in rural Kentucky and saw it first hand. My wife went on a tour with a university and saw the coal mine owner living in a huge mansion while everyone around them lived like peasants.

It was also the first time my wife and I saw a room full of white folks agree with the governor when he said they got on welfare and never got off.

That’s when I realized I had been duped all these years. The media always shows the welfare queen but the reality is most welfare recipients are white.
Well to be fair, black people receive welfare at a FAR higher rate than white people. More welfare recipients being white is just a function of a large majority of Americans being white. Anybody who understands basic arithmetic understands this. Why lie about it?

That said, my people in Coal Country are doing no better than black people in many respects including this one. Sure they have less violent crime. That's about the only metric where they're doing better. My people just steal from each other and sell ****ty drugs to each other... rather than killing each other.

Old 07-31-2019, 08:58 AM

52,433 posts, read 26,603,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
Democrats have abandoned these people. By the mid-80's, most of the mines where I grew up were shut down due to EPA regulations (too much sulfur content in the local coal). And then Billybob signed NAFTA, betraying essentially ALL of the working class. So yeah, these days Democrats are offering nothing that these people want except welfare (which they're too proud to admit that they're dependent on). At least Republicants are offering them some fake-jesus, flag-waving, and hating brown people. All fun diversions... but they don't pay the bills. I've got no solution except to move elsewhere. Which is what I did as soon as I was done with high school.
indeed. Welfare society = Rat Infested High Homicide Baltimore.

That's what the Democrats have to offer. Trump at least is trying to address their economy.

Old 07-31-2019, 09:00 AM

5,276 posts, read 6,207,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Don't be stupid.
No one believed coal jobs were coming back; no one believed Trump was going to release his tax returns; no one believed Mexico was going to pay for The Wall.
No one believed any of that, and no one is surprised and outraged that it didn't happen. Trump just said it to shut Libs up long enough to be voted in.
It worked.
Exactly when did 'libs' shut up???

And you are basically saying Trump's campaign promises were giant head fakes- as opposed to the party line about Trump being the only President to deliver on his campaign rhetoric.

This seems to run counter to what we have been told about libs never shutting up and Trump accomplishing all he promised.

On a quasi related note- can we now all admit coal is a dying industry?

Old 07-31-2019, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post
And you are basically saying Trump's campaign promises were giant head fakes- as opposed to the party line about Trump being the only President to deliver on his campaign rhetoric.
Fallacious response. Everyone knows that isn't the case.

Old 07-31-2019, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeatie View Post

On a quasi related note- can we now all admit coal is a dying industry?
Hahahahahahaha

42% of the worlds daily base load electricity generation is from burning coal. You got to be kidding. They will still be mining coal long after you and I are gone.

Old 07-31-2019, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
indeed. Welfare society = Rat Infested High Homicide Baltimore.

That's what the Democrats have to offer. Trump at least is trying to address their economy.
Trump is doing precisely nothing for these people except cutting their benefits and blowing smoke up their ass.

Not saying that the Dems are offering then much either... but let's not pretend that Cadet Bonespurrs is doing *anything* for Appalachia except fake-populism.

Old 07-31-2019, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
Trump is doing precisely nothing for these people except cutting their benefits and blowing smoke up their ass.

Not saying that the Dems are offering then much either... but let's not pretend that Cadet Bonespurrs is doing *anything* for Appalachia except fake-populism.

Yet the evidence and actions he's taking proves you 100% wrong. And the fact that your only proof of this is to call him Cadet Bonespurrs and make out that the people there are deplorable, speaks to this.

Got anything else.

Old 07-31-2019, 10:38 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,827,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
Yes, I get it. These miners put in the work but their last paycheck bounced. The bankrupted company got $8 millions in loan but never bothered to fulfill obligation to pay the miners. They got a right to be mad, I understand.

But they're just wasting time blocking trains when they should be applying for the hundreds of thousands of coal jobs that are begging to be filled!!!! Com'on, coal is the future!!! Trump has created all these coal jobs for them!! Go make some money, y'all!!!

If you can grasp the understanding that the protest is about not getting paid for work already done and losing their 401Ks because the company filing bankruptcy how is it you dont understand there are not thousands of coal jobs in their town? How do you not grasp the concept of campaign speeches or comprehend that presidents do not personally create specific jobs.

Old 07-31-2019, 10:45 AM

13,711 posts, read 9,227,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
If you can grasp the understanding that the protest is about not getting paid for work already done and losing their 401Ks because the company filing bankruptcy how is it you dont understand there are not thousands of coal jobs in their town? How do you not grasp the concept of campaign speeches or comprehend that presidents do not personally create specific jobs.

That's what we liberals have been telling the right-wingers....

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies