Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2019, 03:20 PM

2,518 posts, read 2,055,618 times

Advertisements

People just trippin on the imagery of the confererate flag. They are people fighting about the meaning of SYMBOLS from the past... and they want a thouroughly unAmerican Censorship to go back and suppress what they don't approve.

As a guy who owns at least 2 Confederate Railroad albums, there is absolutely nothing about them which is "pro-Robert E Lee" kind of "defiant Antebellum-South". Lynyrd Skynyrd and The Allman Brothers are more "radical outlaw country/Southern Pride" than Confederate Railroad.

If you actually sit down and digest THE CONTENT of Confederate Railroad's Greatest Hits, you'd see a band that found Top40 success in the early 90s with self-reflective, amusing, openly Christian Southern Country-Rock songs like

Jesus and Mama:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arKQ...eIPRE&index=19

She Never Cried When Old Yeller Died:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41A8...AeIPRE&index=4

She Took It Like A Man:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TE4FiAeIPRE

When You Leave That Way You Can Never Go Back:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yif...AeIPRE&index=6

Lazy People just want to let newsfeed headlines decide where to direct their mock outrage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2019, 07:34 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Anyone who is offended by history wants to hide the truth from being remembered.
And to what end? Substitute the new narrative?
Anyone who is NOT offended by glorifying a way of life in which it was considered acceptable and even war-worthy to fight for the right to own fellow human beings has a screw loose. Remembering the past means learning from it and knowing not to repeat it, including lauding and promoting the most heinous aspects.

Confederate Railroad chose their repulsive name, and they could choose to change it if they wanted. And others are equally free to consider their name and what it represents a valid reason to not include them in a civilized community's event.

Old 09-07-2019, 09:53 PM

7,827 posts, read 3,378,485 times
I don’t listen to their music, but anyone who thinks they’re advocating slavery is a fool. I also don’t advocate for the confederate battle flag, but from what I understand those who do think of it more as a symbol of rebellion against authority more than anything. It’s interesting to see that flag flown in places like Vermont or Minnesota.

Old 09-07-2019, 11:34 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
I don’t listen to their music, but anyone who thinks they’re advocating slavery is a fool. I also don’t advocate for the confederate battle flag, but from what I understand those who do think of it more as a symbol of rebellion against authority more than anything. It’s interesting to see that flag flown in places like Vermont or Minnesota.
This is the thing. The Confederate flag represents the Confederate cause, point blank. End of discussion. The Confederate cause is about keeping slavery. Go read the Articles of Secession and the Confederate Constition. Slavery was a huge factor for the Confederate cause. Considering that, I find it inexcusable to fly a Confederate. I don't care if someone flies it "as a symbol of rebellion". It is still a disgusting symbol. And I don't listen to Confederate Railroad or Lynard Skynyrd. But even members of Lynyrd Skynyrd are distancing themselves from the Confederate flag.

Old 09-08-2019, 08:14 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,348,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPbud View Post
People just trippin on the imagery of the confererate flag. They are people fighting about the meaning of SYMBOLS from the past... and they want a thouroughly unAmerican Censorship to go back and suppress what they don't approve.

As a guy who owns at least 2 Confederate Railroad albums, there is absolutely nothing about them which is "pro-Robert E Lee" kind of "defiant Antebellum-South". Lynyrd Skynyrd and The Allman Brothers are more "radical outlaw country/Southern Pride" than Confederate Railroad.

If you actually sit down and digest THE CONTENT of Confederate Railroad's Greatest Hits, you'd see a band that found Top40 success in the early 90s with self-reflective, amusing, openly Christian Southern Country-Rock songs like

Jesus and Mama:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arKQ...eIPRE&index=19

She Never Cried When Old Yeller Died:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41A8...AeIPRE&index=4

She Took It Like A Man:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TE4FiAeIPRE

When You Leave That Way You Can Never Go Back:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yif...AeIPRE&index=6

Lazy People just want to let newsfeed headlines decide where to direct their mock outrage.
So here's the point - symbols are very powerful. They communicate imagery and ideas in a nonverbal way.

If these musicians profess they aren't racist, well why on earth would they choose to associate themselves with a controversial symbol that is associated with black subjugation and white supremacy - both directly and indirectly? It's pretty darned naive or shortsighted to say the least.

Confederate flags and monuments were put in many decades after the Civil War by governments in the South for a reason.

So the band will continue to have to explain themselves if they insist on keeping the imagery. But perhaps maybe they'll think it's worth it if they attract Confederate sympathizers and revanchist worshippers of the Lost Cause to offset the flak they'll get from others.

Old 09-08-2019, 09:13 AM

19,798 posts, read 9,336,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post

If these musicians profess they aren't racist, well why on earth would they choose to associate themselves with a controversial symbol that is associated with black subjugation and white supremacy - both directly and indirectly?
I am a senior and definitely not a Southerner (although I lived in Montgomery, AL for eight months in 1973 and hated it), but I think it is possible that member of the Confederate Railroad are not racist, even though most of the Southerners that I personally encountered in 1973 most definitely were. Many of the people I met in Montgomery still hated "the North" and took a lot of pride in that.

However, from what I have both read and observed, many Southerners still take a huge amount of pride in being Southern, and like it or not, the Confederate flag is the symbol that is most identified with being southern. Take the old Dukes of Hazzard TV show, for example -- I don't remember there being a single racist segment in any of those shows, although it was definitely sexist, as I remember. However, I could certainly be wrong about that previous sentence because I only watched a few episodes.

Old 09-08-2019, 09:19 AM

4,021 posts, read 1,795,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Call me biased all you want. You haven't been able to prove me wrong. I've been able to prove what the Confederate cause was about. You just don't like what I had to say. I'll wear the title of "biased" proudly. Until you can prove me wrong, just admit that you didn't like what I said.
You only think you've been able to prove what the cause was all about. At least you have proven it to yourself, I suppose....it was a complex issue and still is. There was a slavery platform involved, but was it front and center? My look at history says no. But you believe what makes you feel good.

Old 09-08-2019, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody01 View Post
You only think you've been able to prove what the cause was all about. At least you have proven it to yourself, I suppose....it was a complex issue and still is. There was a slavery platform involved, but was it front and center? My look at history says no. But you believe what makes you feel good.
What was written down in the Articles of Secession proves it was one of the biggest factors. And these issues weren't just in the Articles of Secession. Go look up Bleeding Kansas. Go look up the Wilmot Proviso, the Missouri Compromise.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAlWqi-VQsc&t=44s

Slavery was by far one of the biggest factors for the Confederacy. All the more reason the Confederacy should never be venerated.

Old 09-08-2019, 06:41 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,522,269 times
The Confederacy should have been thoroughly crushed and there should have been a replication of Sherman's March to the Sea in every Southern city.

Old 09-08-2019, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
The Confederacy should have been thoroughly crushed and there should have been a replication of Sherman's March to the Sea in every Southern city.
To be brutally blunt, I kind of agree. The Confederat generals should have been given prison sentences and death sentences for treason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies