Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2019, 07:20 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times

Advertisements

Some can point out a few bright spots in FORCED BUSING.

But overall, most hated it and it did nothing but disrupt schools and many people's lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2019, 12:10 AM

264 posts, read 100,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
It was not a failure at all. I was in classes that had relatively few black kids bused in from other neighborhoods but there were at least 4 or 5 in my class throughout JHS and they were great kids and part of our class family and school community. They excelled and did better than a lot of the white kids. I don't know how they would have fared in a segregated school but they sure as hell did well in ours. I lost touch with all but one of them and sorry that I have not been able to locate all of them. Two of them played cello along with me in the school orchestra class and one went on to be a professional musician. I still think about one girl in my elementary school class who was bused in and quickly became part of my circle of school friends and I have tried to locate her as well but also unsuccessfully. We would laugh so much together in school that we had to hide our head under the desk. I think back on those day and I am always grateful that we made those kids so welcome that they likely appreciated it a lot and think about us fondly as well.
I also was bused throughout middle, elementary and high school in the Midwest and did make a few friends but up till recently thought it was an experience that had some benefits.

However, as I began to read extensively and study the virulent racism that occurred not only in the South but also in the North, I began to realize that African Americans can indeed have separate but equal schools only if they have full economic control of an economic base, strong involvement in the PTA by African American parents along with decisive input and influence on the administration of the school, influence on the curriculum, text books, etc.

Basing the funding of public schools on property taxes, the ongoing flight of white middle income homeowners from a neighborhood coupled with redlining, steering, housing and employment discrimination will lead to a decrease in property tax revenue and consequently result in reduced resources for the community public schools.

The public schools in many areas require a revised/innovative 21st century funding method as well as a revision in the administration of the schools.

More Magnet programs, Advanced Placement classes, and charter schools should be implemented as well.

But, to really spark many neighborhood public schools, a combination of Affordable Housing initiatives, implementation of Enterprise/Tax Abatement Zones and increased enforcement of housing/bank discrimination needs to be implemented.

If the above-mentioned suggestions are implemented, there really would be no need to bus the children.

Voluntary separation may still exist but there would probably now be "unequal schools" - those schools that exist in the areas outside of the revitalized neighborhoods!

Old 07-09-2019, 12:26 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,555,075 times
Quote:
The busing issue actually took place in the in the 1960's. I know because I was there and going to a school that became integrated. Why is this an issue now?
ask kammie. she brought it up.

Old 07-09-2019, 01:15 AM

6,835 posts, read 2,400,677 times
Quote:
The busing issue actually took place in the in the 1960's. I know because I
was there and going to a school that became integrated. Why is this an issue now?
Like some other lesser-known sociopolitical issues, when a prominent politician starts bringing up for whatever reason, the issue can gain more attention for good or bad.

Old 07-09-2019, 04:40 AM

3,106 posts, read 1,770,051 times
Most politicians who support busing either don't have kids (such as Harris) or their kids & grandkids don't go to public schools or they live in exclusive communities that would never be affected by busing. They have no skin in the game so to speak. It is no different that when they import uneducated unskilled refugees and allow uneducated unskilled illegals to pour into the country that it isn't their kids/grandkids schools being impacted or their communities being impacted. The elite never have to personally deal with the impact of their "progressive" values

Old 07-09-2019, 04:43 AM

30,370 posts, read 19,162,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
https://www.cnn.com/2019/07/06/polit...ile/index.html

Or is this just a ploy to win the Democrat nod, which will then be downplayed in the general election?
Basically all the Dims are required to support every possible idea to destroy America to win their nomination...I guess they'll try to walk it all back in the general election and they'll have the entire media complex trying to help them do that.

Old 07-09-2019, 05:54 AM

672 posts, read 443,051 times
Because it was so fun being bussed across the city when we had schools in our own neighborhood and the bus getting stoned leaving school just added to the pleasure.

Old 11-25-2019, 09:48 AM

5,108 posts, read 2,050,817 times
Is it ok if I revive this thread? Some SJW seem to like busing.
https://www.zerohedge.com/political/...near-unanimous

Quote:
This is what happens when voters allow unaccountable Democrats to run wild with radical policies focused at building 'equity' and attacking 'privilege'.

In deep-blue Howard County, Maryland, a local school board voted last week to impose a massive, 1970s-style busing and redistricting plan on the affluent suburban county, despite the fact that the plan is vehemently opposed by an overwhelming majority of residents.

Old 11-25-2019, 09:54 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
Good. More former Democrats becoming aware and switching over to a more Moderate or Conservative Party.

You get what you ask for.

Quote:
One country resident told the DC that she is questioning her allegiance to the Democratic Party because of the busing decision.

Marybeth Steil, a county resident and lawyer, told the DCNF, “I thought I was a Democrat before the August 22 release of the plan, but this totally alienated me. Lots of my neighbors have told me the same. They awoke a bear for sure.”

“The redistricting plan based on ‘equity’ came out of left field and is clearly an idea which came from outside the county. Even the board members who were very much ‘for’ the plan cited how the ‘country was watching’ — which just goes to show they were more interested in their own headlines than the lives of our county’s school children,” Steil said.

“I do think we are a warning to Montgomery County. Our Asian and Indian populations are all a buzz about it,” she said.

Old 11-25-2019, 12:30 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,124,301 times
I had relatives in Columbus Ohio. The school district built all new schools in the black neighborhoods. Then busing was ordered. About half the black kids were bused into the old run-down schools in the white areas. The black parents were pissed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies