Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2019, 09:43 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,556,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Converting others is part of their religion.

Same with Muslims and probably many other religions.

It's not part of atheism......

Or at least it shouldn't be.
If you don’t want to hear about atheists then keep your religious bs to yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2019, 10:14 AM

1,768 posts, read 567,655 times
Quote:
Ok....

So why do you feel the need to make people "aware" that you're an atheist?

Why do so many atheists feel the need to ridicule others for their beliefs with comments like "sky God" and The Flying Spaghetti Monster etc?

Why not just let people believe whatever they want and you don't believe what you don't believe?

People don't appreciate atheist extremists any more than they appreciate religious extremists.
I would guess people feel the need to make people aware that they are atheists for the same reason people feel the need to make people aware that they are Christian. Or are Cubs fans. Or are from the South. Or love Star Wars. People like to share the things that are important to them.

I agree terms like "sky daddy" are needlessly mean spirited and I have made a conscious effort to stop doing/speaking that way.

And in theory, I agree people should believe (or not believe) whatever they want.

The problem for me is when people take their religious beliefs and use it to enact policy that applies to all. For example, my child's public school held a mandatory abstinence assembly in which girls were told that if they had sex outside of marriage they were like a glass of water filled with other people's spit and breadcrumbs and no decent man would want them. That's someone else's religious beliefs about sex being imposed on my child in a government funded setting. That's not okay.

Old 07-09-2019, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmccormick71 View Post
I would guess people feel the need to make people aware that they are atheists for the same reason people feel the need to make people aware that they are Christian. Or are Cubs fans. Or are from the South. Or love Star Wars. People like to share the things that are important to them.

I agree terms like "sky daddy" are needlessly mean spirited and I have made a conscious effort to stop doing/speaking that way.

And in theory, I agree people should believe (or not believe) whatever they want.

The problem for me is when people take their religious beliefs and use it to enact policy that applies to all. For example, my child's public school held a mandatory abstinence assembly in which girls were told that if they had sex outside of marriage they were like a glass of water filled with other people's spit and breadcrumbs and no decent man would want them. That's someone else's religious beliefs about sex being imposed on my child in a government funded setting. That's not okay.
Lol, that’s the analogy they went with? Too funny. And that still wouldn’t put me off of sex.

Old 07-09-2019, 10:45 AM

18,454 posts, read 7,086,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Your comments in no way addressed what I said.
Did you just skip over the There are still states that have laws against things like atheists holding public office.
I suppose you'd sit right there and say "uh,OK" if there was a law that said nobody named 'Bob" can hold a public office?

So get the laws changed.

Besides, how would you even enforce such a law?

Sounds like your issue has more to do with government passing stupid, unenforceable laws than with religion.

Old 07-09-2019, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
If you don’t want to hear about atheists then keep your religious bs to yourself.

What exactly is it, as an atheist, that you are promoting?

Since you believe in nothing.....how, and more importantly, why, do you feel it's necessary to promote nothingness?

Old 07-09-2019, 10:51 AM

Quote:
What exactly is it, as an atheist, that you are promoting?

Since you believe in nothing.....how, and more importantly, why, do you feel it's necessary to promote nothingness?
I don’t promote it. You have me confused with someone else. If someone tries to convince me that god exists I tell them I don’t believe. Simple. It’s up to the individual to then either shut up about it or risk being mentally annhilated if they try to pursue the matter.

Old 07-09-2019, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
There is no "proof of non-existence". There is only lack of proof/evidence of existence.

Do you have proof Odin doesn't exist? Do you believe in Odin?

There. Is. No. Faith. Involved. In. Non-belief.

I have have no proof or faith in the existence or lack of existence of Odin or any other God.

That's what makes me an agnostic.

What is different about your belief system that makes you feel motivated to call yourself an atheist?

If you adamantly believe in non existence, how is that different from faith?

Especially if there is "no proof of non existence"?

What exactly are you basing your non belief on?

What many don't seem to understand is that proclaiming non belief is as much a conscious decision as proclaiming a belief in any deity.

Last edited by FatBob96; 07-09-2019 at 11:15 AM..

Old 07-09-2019, 11:10 AM

1,768 posts, read 567,655 times
Quote:
Lol, that’s the analogy they went with? Too funny. And that still wouldn’t put me off of sex.
Yes, they played a game. Called a bunch of girls onto the stage and had them eat a piece of bread, then drink a glass of water, pass it on to the next girl to drink from the same glass. Of course after two or three girls the glass looks pretty gross. See girls! The glass is you!

Of course boys were not part of this game.

Old 07-09-2019, 11:11 AM

4,548 posts, read 3,750,269 times
Quote:
Converting others is part of their religion.

Same with Muslims and probably many other religions.

It's not part of atheism......

Or at least it shouldn't be.
Hinduism, Sikhism, Buddhism and Judiasm don't recommend converting. There may be others. The first 3 in that list actually recommend you seek out your own beliefs on your own and not listen to someone who is trying to convert you. Agree with you that converting should be the least of a religion's ideals or worries.

Old 07-09-2019, 11:13 AM

Quote:
I don’t promote it. You have me confused with someone else. If someone tries to convince me that god exists I tell them I don’t believe. Simple. It’s up to the individual to then either shut up about it or risk being mentally annhilated if they try to pursue the matter.

You implied that they would "hear about" it.

How is that not promoting it?

Especially if your plan is to "mentally annihilate" them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies