Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2018, 09:24 AM

29,505 posts, read 14,663,209 times

Advertisements

This came up in a topic in the Automotive section. Thought it would be good to discuss here. Spain plans on eliminating all oil and gas infrastructure by 2040. I'm not up on Spain's economy so I can't say if they can afford to subsidize this or not.
Could something like this happen here in the states ? Personally, I think it's a fairy tale, and if it did become reality it would take 50-60 years to go into effect , not 22. Now when they stated oil and gas, I'm assuming they meant natural gas.
Think of all the things that we rely on that utilize petroleum.
How are freight trains going to run ?
Semi trucks ?
If the Federal government going to pay for homeowner , rental owner, hotel owner etc to replace their heating , stoves, and dryers if they are natural gas ?
What will the cost be to heat a home in the northern climates with an electric heater ?
Can the current solar and windfarms keep up with added demand for electricity ?
Are all the black topped roads going to be replaced with concrete ?
Are all homes going to be required to replace their current shingles with wood or tile ?

The questions are endless, with no real answers. Just yada , yada, yada, it's the future, it's good for the environment , this will happen...etc.

https://earther.gizmodo.com/spain-to...040-1830416355

Are industries that use petroleum in their products ready to change ?
Everyday Simplicity: Products Made From Petroleum: YIKES!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2018, 09:32 AM

13,898 posts, read 6,448,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
This came up in a topic in the Automotive section. Thought it would be good to discuss here. Spain plans on eliminating all oil and gas infrastructure by 2040. I'm not up on Spain's economy so I can't say if they can afford to subsidize this or not.
Could something like this happen here in the states ? Personally, I think it's a fairy tale, and if it did become reality it would take 50-60 years to go into effect , not 22. Now when they stated oil and gas, I'm assuming they meant natural gas.
Think of all the things that we rely on that utilize petroleum.
How are freight trains going to run ?
Semi trucks ?
If the Federal government going to pay for homeowner , rental owner, hotel owner etc to replace their heating , stoves, and dryers if they are natural gas ?
What will the cost be to heat a home in the northern climates with an electric heater ?
Can the current solar and windfarms keep up with added demand for electricity ?
Are all the black topped roads going to be replaced with concrete ?
Are all homes going to be required to replace their current shingles with wood or tile ?

The questions are endless, with no real answers. Just yada , yada, yada, it's the future, it's good for the environment , this will happen...etc.

https://earther.gizmodo.com/spain-to...040-1830416355

Are industries that use petroleum in their products ready to change ?
Everyday Simplicity: Products Made From Petroleum: YIKES!!
It won't happen

Old 11-15-2018, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
It won't happen

I agree, at least not in my lifetime. Yet we have huge corporations (General Motors) restructuring their company (20% global head count reduction) to jump into this...

Old 11-15-2018, 09:45 AM

3,024 posts, read 2,242,123 times
Wow, it's a very ambitious plan.

For those interested, the draft: https://www.documentcloud.org/docume...ransition.html

It's impressive in part because they actually name some actionable items instead of just goals: changing the auto fleet, eliminating O&G subsidies, investing in renewable energy, raising the bar for energy efficiency in new housing, committing funds to retrofitting housing especially for vulnerable populations (addressing environmental justice). The plan will only see success if the enforcement side has teeth.

Old 11-15-2018, 10:44 AM

5,717 posts, read 3,148,043 times
So they all stop breathing in 2040?

Old 11-15-2018, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gus2 View Post
Wow, it's a very ambitious plan.

For those interested, the draft: https://www.documentcloud.org/docume...ransition.html

It's impressive in part because they actually name some actionable items instead of just goals: changing the auto fleet, eliminating O&G subsidies, investing in renewable energy, raising the bar for energy efficiency in new housing, committing funds to retrofitting housing especially for vulnerable populations (addressing environmental justice). The plan will only see success if the enforcement side has teeth.

If they don't run out of money ?

Old 11-15-2018, 11:16 AM

57,311 posts, read 26,228,587 times
Other countries are way ahead of us, Germany, Chile, Argentina going green meanwhile we stand out as one of the few countries with climate deniers in positions of responsibility. We are worried about the bringing back coal while the rest of the world is moving ahead.

Old 11-15-2018, 11:45 AM

13,606 posts, read 4,936,071 times
A very ambitious plan. But not impossible. The use of electric cars, for example, is growing exponentially:

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/05/30/elec...-2030-iea.html

Extrapolating to 2050 would predict that the majority of the world's fleet of vehicles might be electric. Producing most electricity with fossil fuels is also apparently feasible:

https://www.ucsusa.org/clean_energy/...l#.W-25YehKhdg

Regarding heating ones home with electricity, using a heat pump powered by electricity is 50% less expensive than using heating oil:

Heat Pumps 101: We Answer 8 of The Most Common Questions About Heat Pumps

But all the questions of is this feasible and how much will it cost are somewhat moot. By 2050 the supply of oil and gas is likely to be so reduced that we will have little option.

https://www.csmonitor.com/Environmen...-years-says-BP

Old 11-15-2018, 12:01 PM

13,303 posts, read 7,873,743 times
Liberals are totally anti-mechanical.

I still use mechanical keyboards, made in Switzerland, I think.

I feel the click and hear it at the same time, utilizing two sense organs simultaneously. It comes close to synesthesia.

Liberals always seek total compart mentalism.

Old 11-15-2018, 12:03 PM

23,564 posts, read 17,237,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Other countries are way ahead of us, Germany, Chile, Argentina going green meanwhile we stand out as one of the few countries with climate deniers in positions of responsibility. We are worried about the bringing back coal while the rest of the world is moving ahead.
US is developing green technology and nothing has hindered that pursuit. The US is well ahead of any other country in cutting pollution and green house gases.

Chile, Argentina??????

Chile is the size of texas. 15 million people, NJ has 8 million people.

most of chile is undeveloped with population centers in just a few cities.

justice system is non existent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies