Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2019, 04:36 PM

2,180 posts, read 640,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
That is pretty much why they are in court, they are not being compensated what fairly.

The women's team negotiated a contract wherein they were given a guaranteed salary and smaller bonuses.

The men's team's contract has NO guaranteed salary, and larger bonuses. if a male player doesn't play a particular game, they get no payment whatsoever. The women do get paid, even if they do not play every game.

Who is not being compensated fairly? They negotiated their own contract. Next go around, take a different approach and leverage your recent successes to get a different compensation package based on results and revenue.

But don't claim you're being "discriminated" against or that you're "doing equal work" ... and don't bring a damned lawsuit. The USSF isn't the reason why men's soccer is 10X more popular in the world, and why the men's world cup has 6 billion viewers while the women have 1 billion.

There is no "pay gap" that is the USSF's fault. There's a prize percent gap, which is the result of the men competing in the much more profitable, tougher, and more popular men's world cup.

Very distasteful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2019, 04:40 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,889,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHenriques1147 View Post
The women's team negotiated a contract wherein they were given a guaranteed salary and smaller bonuses.

The men's team's contract has NO guaranteed salary, and larger bonuses. if a male player doesn't play a particular game, they get no payment whatsoever. The women do get paid, even if they do not play every game.

Who is not being compensated fairly? They negotiated their own contract. Next go around, take a different approach and leverage your recent successes to get a different compensation package based on results and revenue.

But don't claim you're being "discriminated" against or that you're "doing equal work" ... and don't bring a damned lawsuit. The USSF isn't the reason why men's soccer is 10X more popular in the world, and why the men's world cup has 6 billion viewers while the women have 1 billion.

Very distasteful.
The men's team also as I have shown are in far bigger purse games. I wouldn't be surprised if the CONCACAF Copa de Oro final was at the least equal to the women's World Cup final. It was likely higher. As I said, the women don't have a comparable CONCACAF tournament.

Old 07-10-2019, 04:44 PM

5,058 posts, read 7,499,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
I agree in theory with the OP. And I'm a woman. For sporting events/leagues IMO it depends on the profitability of the league.

However there are some women's sports that I've read actually do make the same or more than men - Women's Tennis comes to mind in regards to popularity and there is still a tradition of paying the women less. There are reasons for it and against it but if we are going to base it on popularity and how much money is made from the athletes, then for some women, IMO they should be getting paid more than the men.
The total revenue of the ATP (mens tour) is 50% higher than that of the WTA (womens tour) outside the grand slams theses two organisations have very little to do with each other.

In terms of worldwide viewership and sponsorship the ATP is way above the WTA.

Old 07-10-2019, 04:44 PM

57,264 posts, read 26,192,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AHenriques1147 View Post

Very distasteful.
That is not true, both the men and women have negotiated salaries. The women attempted to get a better contract in 2015 but failed.

This has nothing to do with the popularity of men's vs women "in the world". It is the salary and revenue brought in by the extremely popular US women's team compared to the men.

Quote:
USWNT members claimed in a recent lawsuit that their maximum salary in a typical year is $99,000 ($4,950 per game) if the team played and won 20 exhibition matchups, per Goal.com. Given the same circumstances, the men’s team would earn $263,320 ($13,166 per game) the lawsuit states.
https://heavy.com/sports/2019/07/usa...mnt-world-cup/

Last edited by Goodnight; 07-10-2019 at 06:13 PM..

Old 07-10-2019, 04:51 PM

21,928 posts, read 9,494,494 times
The statistic that women make 77 cents per dollar has been used for generations. So I tend to doubt it's veracity given the Democrat's penchant for lying and repeating the lie to convince people it's a fact. So, the argument for any pay gap (not including actors and highly paid sports figures) is that women take time off to bear children and they are at work, they are handling the family responsibilities much of the time like taking a sick kid to the doctor or parent/teacher conferences, etc.

I once spent a lot of time on a mostly women forum and there was one thread about not wanting to have kids and how the world demanded that these poor, put upon women MUST have kids but I digress. Mostly they just complain about people they know who are parents or other people's kids. So one fine day, I was reading this thread (they prefer you don't post if you actually have kids) and one woman was griping because one of her female coworkers was leaving work all the time and what time she WAS there was spent on the phone with her kids managing their lives. I couldn't resist and asked her if it would bother her if that woman made the same $$ she did. Man, you should have seen them circle the wagons against me. One woman claimed that 'every study' that proved that 77 on the dollar adjusted for those kind of discrepancies. I did a google search and immediately was able to disprove her and it was at that point that I stopped frequenting that increasingly liberal site.

But I will never forget when Obama was accused of paying HIS WH staff women 92 cents on the dollar for what men make. Guess what their excuse was? Yep. You got it. Women leave the work force and manage their families lives at work. I kid you not. That was just another example of how I was 'woke' and saw the Democrats constant dishonesty. I walked away.

Old 07-10-2019, 04:52 PM

17,619 posts, read 17,656,125 times
No paying fans means no paychecks. Basic economics of the sporting industry. If they think they’re so good then have them play the men’s World Cup American team or the men’s World Cup champion team. If they can beat either of those teams then the they get the lion’s share of the revenue from the game (ticket sales and other forms of revenue). Loosing team gets a pat on the back and a small percentage of the revenue.

Old 07-10-2019, 05:25 PM

17,619 posts, read 17,656,125 times
Here’s a prediction. Women’s sports players and their lawyers are going to demand something similar to title 9 but for professional sports. Women’s soccer will receive a share of the prophets from men’s soccer. Women’s basketball will receive a share of the profits from men’s basketball. Women’s softball will receive a share of the profits from men’s baseball. Women’s hockey will receive a share of the prophets from men’s hockey. Of course this would mean the men would have to take a big pay cut but that’s fine as long as it’s fair for the women who aren’t bringing in the fans to pay money to watch them play.

Old 07-10-2019, 05:43 PM

34,230 posts, read 18,571,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Here’s a prediction. Women’s sports players and their lawyers are going to demand something similar to title 9 but for professional sports. Women’s soccer will receive a share of the prophets from men’s soccer. Women’s basketball will receive a share of the profits from men’s basketball. Women’s softball will receive a share of the profits from men’s baseball. Women’s hockey will receive a share of the prophets from men’s hockey. Of course this would mean the men would have to take a big pay cut but that’s fine as long as it’s fair for the women who aren’t bringing in the fans to pay money to watch them play.
It depends how the U.S. team are structured as a corporation and if they get government funding or not. Pro sports can not be made to do this, but again, I do not know who "owns" these teams, and how the ownership is structured.

Old 07-10-2019, 05:49 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
I'm a left-leaning centrist, and in general I believe in equal pay for equal work, but I have a pretty unpopular view among my own people.

To me, the pay gap is because (right or wrong) the men fill stadiums, glean bigger sponsorships, and in general have a bigger following than the women do. In short, they bring in more money, therefore they get paid more. Maybe that is fair, maybe it isn't, but that's how it is.

I think expecting women to get paid the same as men is like expecting your Triple-A local baseball players to get paid the same as 'the bigs'. They both win games, they both sell out stadiums, but there are not many other similarities.

Another point is that the quality of play is different. It gets back to "equal pay for equal work". It may be unpopular to say, but the men play at a higher level. Imagine this: What there was no men's and no women's team, just a "national team", where anyone could try out, and only the best players would be picked. Wouldn't matter if you are male, female, trans, or other. If you were the best, you got the job. How much would women be paid in that scenario?

Again, I will close out by saying I am 100% for equal pay for equal work, and I am not one to go around crying about PC this and PC that. I am not one to exclude Trans-Gender from anything, (and I don't care what bathroom someone uses). But in this case, I think the complaints of not getting paid the same as the men is misdirected. To me, it is like saying that there is a gender gap in Rock and Roll because Pat Benatar does not get paid as much as Bono. They've both been around for (approximately) the same amount of time, they both sell out shows, but the reason that Bono gets paid more is because U2 (I am not a fan, BTW), sells more records, fills bigger venues, has higher paying sponsors and in general generates more revenue.

^I guess one could say that it is a societal flaw that men CAN generate more revenue in some cases, but I don't think that applies here.

Would love an intelligent discussion, without being roasted for my opinion. As someone who would LIKE to believe that women should get paid the same in ALL cases, I'm open to respectfully hearing about the flaws in my view. Maybe a good discussion will help me see it differently?

you do make some good points. if the women want to get paid more for playing soccer, or any other sport for that matter, then they need to up their game level to get the fans in the seats, get the viewers watching on TV, and make it worth while for sponsors to pony up the big big bucks to finance the leagues. the WNBA players dont make the money the mens NBA players make, no one watches the games, for the most part.

so ladies, get out there and step up your game, and make it some even someone like me would be willing to watch soccer, and the money will come.

Old 07-10-2019, 05:56 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,009,085 times
I'd have to see the details of their contracts. My guess is that it's purely economics. If they don't have equal ratings or if they don't sell an equal amount of merchandise, then just HOW can they argue that they should be pad as much as the men's team?

My guess is that men are the primary viewers of soccer (or most sports in general) and therefore most men have a lesser interest in women's sports which reflects in the viewership and the merchandise sold. Now I don't have the numbers, but that's just my suspicion behind the differences.

That being said, and if what I think is true--then the burden is on more women to support them, not necessarily men.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies