Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2019, 07:38 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,663,106 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
The dems always made fun of his visual aids - charts - but they got the point across.
I was in marketing and I thought it was brilliant. As you know, we are deluged with all this fancy marketing....but when an old woman asked "where's the beef" it cut through.

Same with Perot. The average American thought "He's paying for this with his own money and not making it into a 30 second sound bite"......and they loved it!

Not to say it was interesting in itself....I didn't vote for him because of charts or time he bought on TV. I voted for him because he was basically a good person and honorable and had a track record of caring about human beings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2019, 07:40 PM

17,602 posts, read 6,890,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Allowed?

Obviously we compare historical figures to others. Heck, there have been some radio programs on how GWB is making a new name for himself and rising fast in historical ratings.

Hint: It's not because he didn't start the wars or cause the Great Recession, etc.

It's due to historical comparison.

I repeat. Perot was a real American who worked his way up from nothing, was known for being good to people and known for pursuing actual solutions to problems.

That is unlike the current situation.

I suggest you use the ignore button if historical comparisons in a Political Forum are somehow upsetting to you. However, as you can see, other posters are telling you and I that Perot=Trump....as they have the right to do. That's what a discussion is. Forum. Discussion. Debate.
The point of the thread should be to remember Ross Perot, somebody you apparently have a fondness for. I have no love for him for many reasons, but it's an obituary thread so I'm keeping my mouth shut.

If you want to rant about Trump, as you do on every thread about every topic imaginable, is it too much to ask that you forego doing so on a thread commemorating someone else's death?

Old 07-09-2019, 07:50 PM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times
Quote:
I was in marketing and I thought it was brilliant. As you know, we are deluged with all this fancy marketing....but when an old woman asked "where's the beef" it cut through.

Same with Perot. The average American thought "He's paying for this with his own money and not making it into a 30 second sound bite"......and they loved it!

Not to say it was interesting in itself....I didn't vote for him because of charts or time he bought on TV. I voted for him because he was basically a good person and honorable and had a track record of caring about human beings.
yeah, all of that. for me he just came across as a truly sincere, good man with good ideas who really cared about his country and had the foresight to see what globalization for globalization’s sake would bring. wonder how different this country would be if he had won?

Old 07-09-2019, 07:51 PM

2,068 posts, read 997,909 times
Ross Perot founded the company, EDS, that gave me my start in my computer programming career. Mr. Perot had sold to GM by the time I was hired, but the firm retained many of the Perot traits for several years thereafter. Wear a coat and tie, take responsibility and always represent the firm in public and private - those are fine traits for any corporate setting.

Rest in peace, Mr Perot. Thanks for the lifetime of employment from this former EDSer.

Last edited by MacInTx; 07-09-2019 at 08:31 PM..

Old 07-09-2019, 08:00 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,874,022 times
Ross proved 1 thing above all else. The independent vote matters. He cost George Bush the election. Ross was a conservative Independent. He took those likely votes from Bush and Clinton won.

That is why I tell people the Independents matter. I would wager that Trump benefited from Independent Votes as well. The Dems out number the GOP by 12 million votes.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/w...istered-voters

Hillary barely won the popular vote and that thanks in large to California and NYC.

Bush got slam dunked by Perot pulling 19% of the vote, most agree that those were Votes that would have went Bush's way.

His biggest mistake was his running mate. he was weak and out of his element.

Last edited by boneyard1962; 07-09-2019 at 09:23 PM..

Old 07-09-2019, 08:19 PM

15,523 posts, read 10,489,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
Ross Perot may have had some decent ideas and I agree that his take in NAFTA was spot on, but he was weird. Does anyone else remember those TV spots he paid for where he sat at a desk and used a pointer with a lizard's foot on the end of it to emphasize the content of large slides behind him that stressed the weaknesses of the other two candidates? That was something I won't forget.

At one point he was discussing the poor working conditions in Arkansas under Clinton's governorship and he used the Tyson chicken processing plant as an example. He had a huge slide with pictures of cartoon chickens and I can still hear him in that Texas twang saying, "Yep, thayat's Bill Clinton's Arkansas fer ya. The chickens keep cluckin' and the people keep pluckin'..." He was colorful, I'll say that!
Yes, lol. That was the voodoo stick that someone from Louisiana sent him. It got the point across.

Old 07-10-2019, 07:51 AM

15,059 posts, read 8,622,286 times
Quote:
Well, being as I got 10 reputation points on that post I'd say many don't agree with you.
Congratulations. But that only brings an old adage to mind ... “2 percent of the population think, 3 percent think they think, and the other 95 percent would rather die than think”.

Quote:
My list is provable. Facts. These people are nothing like each other.
With all due respect, you apparently wouldn’t know a fact if it stood on your head. That said, my comparison of the two men is strictly based on common political ideology, and nothing to do with personal issues. Given that I did not or don’t know either man personally, (neither do you) I have no foundation to compare them on a personal level, other than media reporting, which in this day and age, no thinking person could blindly accept as anything remotely honest.

Quote:
Your comparison is like saying Trump and I are alike because I supported Perot. Ridiculous.
Only ridiculous if your support of Perot had nothing to do with political ideology, and based solely on personality. But if you supported Perot based on the political agenda one SHOULD base their support, then you SHOULD support Trump. And, I think it important for you to consider one ACTUAL fact .... before Mr. Perot passed away, he made not one, but two donations to Trump’s re-election campaign. Given your obvious reverence for Perot, that should say something to you, no?

Quote:
I can promise you if Ross had been elected, he wouldn't spew the filth that comes out of The Dons mouth constantly and he wouldn't be in the far negatives in approval for his entire term.
I’m curious about the “filth” being spewed by Trump .... a couple of examples with be helpful in clearing my confusion. As to the polls, I don’t know what lies you’re accepting as truth, but in various polls throughout his term thus far, Trump was near, at, or exceeded Obama’s numbers during similar points, in spite of the fact that throughout Obama’s time in office, the media gushed over him as if he were the second coming of Jesus, while that same media has not stoped for air, as they attack Trump 24/7, painting him as akin to Satan.

Quote:
Anyway, you are entitled to your opinion....but if the Lord Appeared to me on my death bed and told me he'd give me another year if I voted for Trump....or said he was a decent human being, I'd say "take me now"....in other words, you aren't going to convince me or likely anyone else. But you seem convinced which it all and well.
We have now come full circle, back to the beginning, where I mentioned the 95% who would rather die, than think, and your confession to being a member of that 95%, even if God himself came to you!

Old 07-10-2019, 07:59 AM

11,120 posts, read 5,582,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
damn. RIP, ross. i voted for you twice.

https://www.dallasnews.com/business/...ropist-dies-89
Yes, we can thank him for saving us from four or perhaps eight more years of republican corruption. He sabotaged their plans, the way Ralph Nader did for the Democrats, in 2000. The only role that independent presidential candidates have ever played, is to be spoilers, playing up to those foolish enough to give them their votes and sinking their own party and its policies, in the process.

Old 07-10-2019, 08:06 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,247,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
Yes, we can thank him for saving us from four or perhaps eight more years of republican corruption. He sabotaged their plans, the way Ralph Nader did for the Democrats, in 2000. The only role that independent presidential candidates have ever played, is to be spoilers, playing up to those foolish enough to give them their votes and sinking their own party and its policies, in the process.
Your post, as usual, couldn't be more wrong. Perot would have made a great president, he was a great American, and could have won the election if only more people wouldn't have thought like you, and decided that they were 'throwing their vote away' because he couldn't possibly win.

Old 07-10-2019, 08:25 AM

15,059 posts, read 8,622,286 times
Quote:

Ah ha!! Now we’re getting to the ole “where’s the beef” moment, with you. So, you did indeed vote for Perot because you liked him as a person, rather than those less important, mundane matters of policy and political beliefs. Gotcha. This is so typical of liberals and explains everything.

You know, Jimmy Carter was, by most accounts, a really fine human being, and an all around great guy. Problem was, he was a TERRIBLE president. Horrible .... one of the worst in my lifetime, with a bunch of competitors vying for the title of “worst”. Now, all of the problems we grappled with during the Carter presidency was not all his fault, but he certainly had no clue as to deal with them effectively. His administration was an abject failure with a capital F. Double digit inflation; double digit interest rates; epic unemployment and deep recession bordering depression; energy crisis; mile long gasoline lines that you could only buy gas on odd or even days, depending on your license plate number; held captive by OPEC, hostages by Iran, and the list goes on .... but he was a real Boy Scout! A Boy Scout that almost destroyed the country. No thanks!

So, I don’t care if Trump isn’t a Boy Scout ....in fact, I am thrilled that he isn’t, because the job of President of the United States requires him to deal with other nations around the globe, led by some dubious characters who aren’t Boy Scouts either..... not to forget the internal political operatives and competitors who aren’t.

If I must choose a General to lead in war, I want a killer, not a “nice guy”. If I choose a Commander in Chief, I want a tough guy, not a guy running around bowing to every other leader internationally, like the last one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies