Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2019, 03:39 PM

9,911 posts, read 7,695,383 times

Advertisements

Do you feel student loans be reset and start fresh with regards to higher education?

Offer a 4 tier loan forgiveness solution. $20,000 cap for those with loans from a tech/community college or trade school degree. Then add $20,000 to the cap as you go upwards to a Doctorate. Then your highest degree sets the max amount of loan reimbursement.

Now with all that said and done. Reform FASFA. For those in a 2 year program or trade school part or ful time receive a voucher with a maximum amount of $30,000. $60,000 for a 4 year degree. Now to be eligible for this need to be enrolled part or full time in college. Have no outstanding student loans. Have not been enrolled in a college program in 4 year's. Also at any time a student withdraws from a program and not due to a hardship withdrawal has to repay the Government back 50% of any funds they used towards the program. Automatic deduction from the voucher for the school enrolled with.

Master and Doctorate programs will not receive a Federal voucher. States can offer aid if they choose to. Aid can be through scholarships, G.I. Bill, private loans, and Federal programs. Federal programs include any military program to advance degree. Also teaching and nursing in rural or urban areas where jobs are needed have programs that offer assistance to pay for advanced degrees.

Medical Doctor programs 75% coverage by Federal Government. However, have to complete the program and not withdraw outside of a hardship withdrawal. If you do withdrawal have to pay back 50% of funds used.

Offer rent assistance and gas/transportation assistance. Where Student's can apply for rent and housing vouchers that can cover partial rent if living off campus and additional boarding fees at college enrolled in. Gas/Transportation assistance offer gas, ride share, and transportation gift cards/passes to use for these services.

Cap the G.I. Bill at $40,000. Expand it to those who do 4 or more years of civilian service with organizations such as AmeriCorps.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2019, 03:40 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,410,626 times
Something has to be done.

I had 50k in loans when I finished in 2008, and that was for 6 years (took me longer to finish cause I worked part time).

As it is today, it probably would have cost me double that.

The costs are increasing seemingly exponentially and its absurd what we are doing to today's young grads.

Old 07-09-2019, 03:41 PM

21,382 posts, read 7,940,989 times
Want to see university costs and loan structures revamped?

No one attends for 1 semester. Just 1. No students no money.

That's all it would take.

Old 07-09-2019, 03:42 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,410,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Want to see university costs and loan structures revamped?

No one attends for 1 semester. Just 1. No students no money.

That's all it would take.
Also an unrealistic proposal.

Old 07-09-2019, 03:42 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,850,642 times
No thanks.... I need that as much as I need someone stealing money from me every day... Bye now...

Old 07-09-2019, 06:34 PM

3,372 posts, read 1,565,650 times
The real problem is lenders are backing completely worthless degrees. Degrees that will never be paid off because they have no marketability and no demand in the job market. The universities don't care about this because they are getting their money for these worthless degree tracks (usually through loans). If lenders (federal and private) would start getting selective about which degrees they will actually back, it would force universities to really scale back and start focusing on tracks that are actually in demand in the real world. I think that day is coming soon because default rates are becoming a major problem and lenders are going to look to start avoiding risk.

The majority of college majors these days are pretty much useless in the job market. There are only a handful of really in demand areas of study. All of the bloat colleges and universities have been allowed to create over the past 15 years or so is going to come crashing down when lenders start to back off "guaranteeing" worthless degrees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies