Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2019, 05:39 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I want Obamacare dismantled and real health care in its place. I'm certainly not a fan of just a ruling and it be gone but maybe the justices will consider that.
Do you really think you are going to get 'real health care' out of the current administration?

My son is still on my policy at age 24 and in grad school. Will he suddenly be kicked off? What will happen?

For those on the exchanges - how will that work - will they suddenly be without health insurance?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2019, 05:40 PM

20,111 posts, read 9,023,728 times
just give the states vouchers, let them run their own healthcare system. Medicare stays as it is.

Old 07-10-2019, 06:07 PM

7,931 posts, read 9,156,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Do you really think you are going to get 'real health care' out of the current administration?

My son is still on my policy at age 24 and in grad school. Will he suddenly be kicked off? What will happen?

For those on the exchanges - how will that work - will they suddenly be without health insurance?
While we all don't know what specifically would happen if ACA is struck down, in the past students were able to purchase health insurance policies through their school.

I am sure some states will provide alternatives to ACA, just as they did in the past. A good rule of thumb is the more likely a state has an income tax, the more likely you were to have state supported insurance options.

Old 07-10-2019, 06:26 PM

57,296 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
If it is found unconstitutional by the federal courts, how is that Trump taking away anything?

The states brought the case to the courts, not Trump. The filing by the Executive Branch simply agrees with the plaintiff in Texas v US, that if the mandate is unconstitutional, then the whole ACA is unconstitutional. If a court agrees, Trump still didn't bring the original case, as the Executive branch has no standing to do so, nor can the Executive branch stop the states from pursuing action in their own sovereign best interests, so sayeth the 9th and 10th Amendments.

And it isn't like the decision by the court, even if the strike down the ACA in its entirety, means the law disappears into thin air the next minute. The UK voted to leave the EU two years ago, and have they left yet? The wheels of legislation turn at a glacial pace when they choose to. Same thing here. In the event that te courts were o strike down the law, there would almost 100% guaranteed be a transition period wherein Congress would be "encouraged" by the courts to get a properly constitutional replacement on deck and ready to go before the sun sets on the last of Barry Sortero's legacy, and that replacement would be crafted BY A DEMOCRAT MAJORITY.

So before we all panic and go insane because people might have to buy insurance elsewhere than LeviathanCare, remember that Congress can still make laws, like new ones, or better ones, or more constitutional ones, and that Democrats run the House where laws start off.
The GOP removed the penalties from the ACA as part of the so called tax reform, then the 17 states sued in court that since there were no longer penalties it was unconstitutional and they won. They created the failure of the ACA.

Do you really think this congress will come up with a replacement plan or do you believe that states like Alabama or West Virginia will come up with a state plan,, They have no replacement other than a don't get sick policy.

Old 07-10-2019, 06:29 PM

57,296 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
While we all don't know what specifically would happen if ACA is struck down, in the past students were able to purchase health insurance policies through their school.

I am sure some states will provide alternatives to ACA, just as they did in the past. A good rule of thumb is the more likely a state has an income tax, the more likely you were to have state supported insurance options.
I purchased some policies through the schools, they are expensive and offer very little. If a student gets sick or has a serious injury it will be very expensive.

Old 07-10-2019, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I purchased some policies through the schools, they are expensive and offer very little. If a student gets sick or has a serious injury it will be very expensive.
Have you purchased an unsubsidized ACA marketplace plan with their huge deductibles? They aren't too great either.

Old 07-10-2019, 07:20 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,532,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
Have you purchased an unsubsidized ACA marketplace plan with their huge deductibles? They aren't too great either.
Well, right now my son is covered under my plan and that's how I want it to stay until he turns 26. It's employer sponsored and affordable.

Old 07-10-2019, 07:21 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:

No, why would you ask me that?

Quote:

No idea. I said I hope the justices figure something out. Obamacare is not now or was it ever the answer. IMO the only way to fix it is to destroy it.

Old 07-10-2019, 07:23 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,210,872 times
Quote:
Well, right now my son is covered under my plan and that's how I want it to stay until he turns 26. It's employer sponsored and affordable.
That and the ability of people to get insurance with pre-existing conditions was the only good thing.

The rest of it was a huge welfare program for the insurance and pharmacuetical companies.

Old 07-10-2019, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Ask your employer to make it last to age 26. Any employer outside of ACA was and will be able to determine eligibility age for dependents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies