Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Was Lynyrd Skynyrd racist?
Yes 12 8.76%
No 125 91.24%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2019, 12:07 PM

662 posts, read 313,021 times

Advertisements

Nope, not racist.

I got your drinking money, tune up your dobro
People said he was useless, them people all were fools
Cause Curtis Lowe was the finest picker to ever play the blues

Old 07-10-2019, 12:16 PM

31,003 posts, read 22,045,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post

They can't?

You walked into that one.
Thats ok, the US flag is next, as the Betsy Ross flag was determined to be racist by the Leftist Hero Colin Kappernick

Old 07-10-2019, 01:51 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
The Articles of Secession are pretty clear on this one... the Confederate government was very much aligned with keeping slaves.

Were all the citizens of that same mind?

Nope.

Most of them didn't even have any slaves and were told they were fighting for their rights as states. A good many probably couldn't even read well enough to know exactly what was put to paper that they were fighting for.
The Articles of Secession AND the Confederate Constitution are very clear about the Confederate objective of keeping slavery.

Alot of soldiers didn't own slaves. While land was one part of it, there is more. There was also the argument of "if those Black slaves are freed, they'll cause problems for the South".

The average Confederate soldier didn't have as much to fight for as the elites. This doesn't mean you couldn't convince some people to fight for the South.

Old 07-10-2019, 02:06 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,231,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
The Articles of Secession AND the Confederate Constitution are very clear about the Confederate objective of keeping slavery.

Alot of soldiers didn't own slaves. While land was one part of it, there is more. There was also the argument of "if those Black slaves are freed, they'll cause problems for the South".

The average Confederate soldier didn't have as much to fight for as the elites. This doesn't mean you couldn't convince some people to fight for the South.
Of course you could... to the last sentence.

However, much as they are today, many of the poor, working-class South are heavily swayed by politicians and preachers (who are often one and the same).

The main goal is to keep poor white people and poor black people from banding together, of course.

Old 07-10-2019, 02:20 PM

1,991 posts, read 899,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Someone I know, who works for the Democrat Party, has Sweet Home Alabama as a ringtone. Of course they are not racist.

The left who thinks that he was, has become totally unhinged.
I used to have that ringtone too. I used to swap it out with War’s Low Riders back in the day. I attended a Skynard concert back in the seventies. When the first chord of Freebird was played a huge Confederate flag unfurled behind the band. It was definitely about Southern pride with them and not racism.

Old 07-10-2019, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Of course you could... to the last sentence.

However, much as they are today, many of the poor, working-class South are heavily swayed by politicians and preachers (who are often one and the same).

The main goal is to keep poor white people and poor black people from banding together, of course.
It wasn't particularly hard to keep poor Whites and poor Blacks from banding together. There were already tensions going around. There were some fears that a slave rebellion could happen (nevermind the fact that slave rebellions had taken place in the USA before). When the way of life has been based on slavery and a racial hierarchy, this made it very easy to get people to fight for a cause they shouldn't fight for. The idea was to strive for prestige. Owning slaves meant being better than another race. It meant being somewhat wealthy. It wasn't just an economic way of life. It was a social hierarchy of the South.

I remember a quote from the movie Mississippi Burning. Detective Thornton talked about his life and mentioned that his father told him this quote "If you're not better than an 'n word' then who are you better than"? Thornton would go on to say that his father was a man so full of hate that he didn't realize that being poor was the thing killing him.

There is more. When the whole idea is to keep from being at the bottom, the message from some politicians consists of "those people are your inferiors" or "those people are going to cause a problem for you". Now, this kind of message isn't going to be overt, or in those words. Rather, some politicians will just use dog whistle language. Today, you don't need much to keep people apart. Just give the other party something to lose and that does its job.

The southern way of life was set up alot like the plantation way of life in the Caribbean. There was a strong hierarchy and there were those committed to protecting it. If you could keep convincing people that they should strive for it, keeping people from banding together is easy. This is why many poor Whites were made overseers.

Old 07-10-2019, 04:04 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,115,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Their music is still on the radio.

Do you feel comfortable with a band who proudly displayed that flag being played over public airwaves?
Absolutely! They rock !

Old 07-10-2019, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalmove View Post
Absolutely! They rock !
Why? Is it in spite of the Confederate flag, or because of it?

Old 07-10-2019, 05:14 PM

45,676 posts, read 23,994,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post

They can't?

You walked into that one.
I did but I assumed folks would get the fact I was speaking from a more philosophical 'can't'....I should have known better. You have to know your audience,

Old 07-10-2019, 10:10 PM

3,698 posts, read 1,361,449 times
Most reasonable people in the recent past associated the confederate flag merely with the south and southern pride... and do not appreciate SJWs telling us what we were really thinking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies