Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2019, 12:40 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,734,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
While that is a disturbing story, it is not even apples to oranges, rather apples to moon rocks.

Not only is that not remotely related to this threads subject, but no comparative analogy can be drawn from it.

An ex-husbands abuse of you(possibly on more than one occasion by the sound of it)is not the same as a bunch of punks ransacking a store and throwing an item at someone as they are fleeing out the door.

One could likely be considered justifiable homicide if you were being actively harmed, vs. the situation we are discussing.

I am all for law abiding women having guns to defend themsleves, because most women cannot physically fight off a male attacker. So a gun is a great equalized to help stop an attack.
I just don't think you should own one if you do not have a better understanding of if and when it is appropriate to use lethal force.

`
Hitting someone over the head can be lethal period and you certainly don't know what the next action the attacker will take. Trying to justify otherwise is naive and sickening. Signed, a nurse who has taken care of patients who have been attack from different methods.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2019, 12:46 PM

8,238 posts, read 3,492,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Hitting someone over the head can be lethal period and you certainly don't know what the next action the attacker will take. Trying to justify otherwise is naive and sickening. Signed, a nurse who has taken care of patients who have been attack from different methods.
Exactly. It's just like compliance to an attacker doesn't mean the attacker will stop attacking you. They are in control and get to decide how far they want to take it.

Old 07-12-2019, 12:53 PM

16,601 posts, read 8,610,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yspobo View Post
It is not different. You said unarmed. He was unarmed. The thugs in this story were armed with a bottle and they were in large numbers. Their actions are frequent events in cities all over the country. So, it definitely happens on more than one occasion.

The authorities have not ever and therefore will never defend me against any kind of an attack. I am therefore on my own to fight anyone off. Since I am disabled I have to have a weapon. I wasn't old enough to own a gun when all of that started. I did learn not to call on law enforcement to save the day.
Well look, I do not want to get too personal, as your story is a sad situation that you should have never had to go through.

I'll just say had one of the punks decided to try and harm an employee, customer, etc., in a manner that could have caused significant bodily injury, then yes lethal force can be used to stop the attack.
But to shoot and potentially kill a person over what is essentially a misdemeanor will not result in a justifiable homicide, and would instead result in a significant felony going against the shooter.

`

Old 07-12-2019, 12:55 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,400,677 times
It is situations like this that further cement that young Black criminal stereotype that many Blacks would want to fight against!

Old 07-12-2019, 01:04 PM

4,661 posts, read 1,952,568 times
Some of those people are pretty distinctive looking, i can't imagine it will be that hard to find them. Assuming the Police actually do their jobs here.

Old 07-12-2019, 01:15 PM

16,601 posts, read 8,610,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
Ok, where are you seeing someone hit anyone over the head with any item?

I have re-reviewed the video, and while I did notice some of the punks throwing items, it was hardly something that is going to constitute significant injury.
At the 3 minute mark some little punk that looks all of about 12 years old picks up and tossed with two hands some can that looks fairly light, maybe pretzels or the like. Then about 20 seconds after that I see the same punk and maybe two others grab plastic water bottles by the exit and toss them.

Again while it is illegal behavior and should be punished, the merchandise thrown hardly constitutes the use of lethal force.
If you were/are a nurse, you should know pretzel type of cans and water bottles tossed/thrown by juvenile delinquents are not going to seriously harm anyone.
Would you prefer to treat a 12 year old boy filled with lead, or a scrape/cut on someone who got hit by a light/soft item that broke the skin?
Sure they were improperly raised punks, but certainly didn't deserve to die for their delinquency that day.

This is not an excuse, just a factual observation.

`

Old 07-12-2019, 01:39 PM

5,860 posts, read 3,298,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remco67 View Post
Some of those people are pretty distinctive looking, i can't imagine it will be that hard to find them. Assuming the Police actually do their jobs here.
That is assuming the politicians actually allow the police to do their jobs!

Old 07-12-2019, 01:41 PM

3,372 posts, read 1,566,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shivers View Post
Seems like its always the usual suspects that we see doing this stuff.https://www.foxnews.com/us/philadelp...eillance-video

They were storming Walgreens for books and school supplies most likely.

Old 07-12-2019, 01:51 PM

1,893 posts, read 1,010,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shivers View Post
Seems like its always the usual suspects that we see doing this stuff.https://www.foxnews.com/us/philadelp...eillance-video
Possibly since African Americans play on an unlevel playing field in life and it becomes a generational thing, they're going to have more episodes like this. Most haven't had an opportunity that some of us have. I'm not excusing them, but if you study sociology and criminal justice, racial disparities in our country (opportunities, education, employment) the cards are stacked heavily against African Americans and other minorities.

If they had wealthy parents giving them great starts in life, perhaps they wouldn't opt for this lifestyle? Just a theory.
https://hips.hearstapps.com/hmg-prod...h&resize=980:*

Some rush drugstores and Walmarts, others find other ways to steal from innocent people. Is one worse than another? I say they're both wrong. One looks worse. Just my theory.
https://www.vox.com/2018/8/21/176926...harges-verdict

Old 07-12-2019, 02:02 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eumaois View Post
It is situations like this that further cement that young Black criminal stereotype that many Blacks would want to fight against!
Who says? I don’t wanna fight against it and I’m black as it gets.

I’m not gonna allow anyone to treat me with anything less than the utmost respect regardless of what other blacks do.

Now you’re free to THINK anything you want as long as you don’t trip up by acting on it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies