Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2019, 10:23 AM

28,980 posts, read 14,317,975 times

Advertisements

Not sure how the rest of the country is doing , but Michigan's economy seems to be doing pretty good. Basically the entire state is under construction, bridges, roads etc.
Last week we were at our rural cabin and stopped by a new distillery (one of many that are new) that seems to be thriving pretty good, they've opened three new "tasting" rooms in the past couple of years. We go to talking to a local and I asked if the foundry in East Jordan (all the manhole covers here in the state are from there) is still open. We were told they just completed the construction of a new multimillion dollar facility. Great news to see that 125 year old company doing well.

Then just this morning we saw in the news about this new plant being built in Detroit, to help with the new FCA facility that is being built.
https://www.crainsdetroit.com/automo...oit-supply-fca

This is all great, for everyone in the state, especially the citizens of Detroit. The one thing I did take though, Mayor Duggan stated that citizens of Detroit get precedence in the hiring process. I find this interesting. First off, this tells me they won't be hiring the best candidate for the job...which is sadly how corporate America runs now. Second, is it even legal to do this ?
Personally , I don't really care, I'd much rather see those that are unemployed in Detroit working but I do find it a bit odd.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies