Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2019, 08:31 AM

2,448 posts, read 888,549 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Most are non-violent actually.

Back in my days of using heroin, I knew roughly 10-12 dealers, NONE of them were violent, they just wanted to sell dope, and usually doing it only to feed their own addiction, so most low level dealers are not 'getting rich' like many people assume, thats more the mid and top level guys, that do not use the drugs, they are the ones who are most likely to use violence, but these guys RARELY get caught, they are too well insulated, its the guys directly above them and those below them, that get arrested most of the time.

Drug dealing is nothing like how its depicted in tv shows and movies, its much more boring and mundane.
You're correct that most dealers make little money, but the misconceptions about "mass incarceration" and "the failed war on drugs are legion." Most of our inmates are in state prisons and drug offenders make up less than 20% of our state prison population. That 20% is not composed of low-level users and dealers, which is who you're describing. They have long rap sheets and many/most are affiliated with gangs. When you lock up the drug offenders who typically end up in our prisons, you take a lot of violent people off the streets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2019, 08:38 AM

2,448 posts, read 888,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Most drug offenses are for possession, most of these people are not criminals in their day to day lives. Of those addicts may be violent but only because they can't get their fix. e.g. knocking Grandma over for her purse. Hardcore criminals that are violent to the core make up small amount of drug arrests.
You are incorrect about this. In state prisons, 13% of inmates are there for drug trafficking and 8% for possession. At the federal level, virtually all federal inmates in for a drug offense are there for drug trafficking. Again, most of the things people who rail against "mass incarceration" and "the failed war on drugs" believe are false.

Old 07-11-2019, 09:16 AM

41,815 posts, read 50,926,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiociolliscalves View Post
You are incorrect about this. In state prisons, 13% of inmates are there for drug trafficking and 8% for possession. At the federal level, virtually all federal inmates in for a drug offense are there for drug trafficking.

My misunderstanding, I was commenting on people arrested.

Quote:
Again, most of the things people who rail against "mass incarceration" and "the failed war on drugs" believe are false.

This is clearly a war that has been lost, as long as boat loads of cash (literally) can be made there will always be someone willing to meet that demand. Is there any less drugs on the street than there were 50 years ago?

Old 07-11-2019, 09:27 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,517,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
My misunderstanding, I was commenting on people arrested.

This is clearly a war that has been lost, as long as boat loads of cash (literally) can be made there will always be someone willing to meet that demand. Is there any less drugs on the street than there were 50 years ago?
There is MUCH more drugs coming in today, than at any other time in history!

The war on drugs focuses mainly on the drugs once they reach their destination inside the US, they do not target the drugs coming in so much (as they rely on a consistent flow for job security).

Old 07-11-2019, 10:19 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,580,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
I've never heard of an innocent bystander getting clubbed or stabbed in a drive by.
Wasn't an innocent senior citizen recently clubbed in Portland, Oregon?

Old 07-11-2019, 10:38 AM

36,856 posts, read 17,308,412 times
Quote:
You're correct that most dealers make little money, but the misconceptions about "mass incarceration" and "the failed war on drugs are legion." Most of our inmates are in state prisons and drug offenders make up less than 20% of our state prison population. That 20% is not composed of low-level users and dealers, which is who you're describing. They have long rap sheets and many/most are affiliated with gangs. When you lock up the drug offenders who typically end up in our prisons, you take a lot of violent people off the streets.
Sooooo the State should be in its own prisons? Is this an admission?

I mean...in all my years growing up in the ghetto I saw a ton of AK-47s and cocaine yet no landing strips with planes from Moscow and Bogota to bring them in were to be found.

The OGs could teleport?

Old 07-11-2019, 10:42 AM

36,856 posts, read 17,308,412 times
Quote:
You are incorrect about this. In state prisons, 13% of inmates are there for drug trafficking and 8% for possession. At the federal level, virtually all federal inmates in for a drug offense are there for drug trafficking. Again, most of the things people who rail against "mass incarceration" and "the failed war on drugs" believe are false.
1. Where are these numbers from? Just interested even if they are from one of your indoctrination centers.

2. So 8% and 13% are just the price to live in a "civilized society" or are you pleased with their incarceration?

Old 07-11-2019, 11:01 AM

13,584 posts, read 21,358,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swilliamsny View Post
I care because anti-gun idiots want to take away my rights when they don't even know what they're talking about. In an overall sense you have a point, but this report should be a direct counter to what a lot of legislators and activists talk about: "closing the gun show loophole".
It doesn't matter how much you show them truth, or try to educate them they will still revert to parroting the anti-gun message and when faced with not being able to answer a solid question they will revert to name calling like " you gun nuts fondling your guns while kids die".

A thousand threads on here and it never changes their mind. Very often they will even say " I don't know much about guns BUT" and then continue to support gun bans and restrictions.

Best thing to do introduce people to shooting sports take them to the range and then when it comes to voting they will know what the truth is and vote against democrats.

Old 07-11-2019, 11:12 AM

662 posts, read 311,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
(And, if we could, they would be in jail for using knives, bats, clubs, rocks or whatever else they could get their hands on to maim, or kill, someone else)
I don't dispute that criminal minds will act on their criminal instincts at some point. But knives, bats, clubs, etc. require coming into close proximity with targets and most criminals are cowards who would not follow through or even better would get their weapon taken away and used on them. You don't need any fighting skills or physical prowess to use a gun effectively to murder. The others require them and the will to get close enough to someone who very well might end you. A gun is almost a guarantee you will be successful even if you are a pathetic wimp. Anyone can point and pull a trigger.

Old 07-11-2019, 11:22 AM

3,063 posts, read 3,245,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFit View Post
I don't dispute that criminal minds will act on their criminal instincts at some point. But knives, bats, clubs, etc. require coming into close proximity with targets and most criminals are cowards who would not follow through or even better would get their weapon taken away and used on them. You don't need any fighting skills or physical prowess to use a gun effectively to murder. The others require them and the will to get close enough to someone who very well might end you. A gun is almost a guarantee you will be successful even if you are a pathetic wimp. Anyone can point and pull a trigger.
So I guess you missed the part where the majority of folks who are incarcerated for homicide (let alone other violent offenses) didn't use a firearm?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies