Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2019, 04:40 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,265,578 times

Advertisements

I never heard of him, but he is not far off. The fact is that the majority of the country does not want Roe struck down.

We now have minority rule by an extreme far-right fascistic autocrat.

At some point people will simply get fed up with this, as it is ridiculous to have 25% of country making decisions for the other 75%. The center will not hold. You cannot keep pushing and harassing the majority without repercussions. A lot of overthrown dictators have discovered this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2019, 04:50 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,815,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
I never heard of him, but he is not far off. The fact is that the majority of the country does not want Roe struck down.

We now have minority rule by an extreme far-right fascistic autocrat.

At some point people will simply get fed up with this, as it is ridiculous to have 25% of country making decisions for the other 75%. The center will not hold. You cannot keep pushing and harassing the majority without repercussions. A lot of overthrown dictators have discovered this.
Right now, what we have is the Christian Right behaving like bullies in the face of an increasingly secular society, forcing their agenda down everyone's throats. If there's anything that defines the Trump era it's that. Of course, they simply respond with "the left has done the same thing for years and now its payback time."

The difference is one side fought to expand personal freedom and the other side only cares about taking away rights from the people they believe shouldn't have them. One side has majority support while the other side has minority (and declining) popular support.

Old 07-11-2019, 05:24 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,815,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
I'm skeptical that the evangelical Christian right is all that strong as a special interest. But we'll find out better how strong they are in 2020, if the ones as legislators get reelected, who have been trying to advance bills that ban ALL abortions.
It will be interesting to see what states propose and pass abortion bans in 2020. Now that Alabama has done it I'm sure more and more red states will follow suit. I highly expect Oklahoma to be one of them. The legislature passed one a few years ago but Fallin vetoed it. It was one of the few things she ever did as governor that I liked.

Old 07-11-2019, 06:00 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,315,466 times
If secession comes it will have the same catalyst as last time: an election. Some people won't be able to handle many more 2016s (and trust me, more are coming.) No states are going to secede over a Supreme Court decision.

But which states will really secede? The three Pacific states, a few New England states maybe. I can't see many more than that. There will not be an "independent south," because secession will come from the left, not the right.

Old 07-11-2019, 06:13 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,687,736 times
Give me a break. Abortion was legal in several states before Roe v. Wade, and will be legal in even more states if it is struck down.

The up side of reversing Roe v. Wade is that if we don't have medical privacy we can get all the nut cases on psycho pills into the FBI background check system and turn them down when they try to buy guns. The abortionistas think we need to give up privacy rights to safeguard society. That's a judgment call, but making mental care or drug and alcohol treatment public may really make society safer.

Old 07-12-2019, 09:47 AM

652 posts, read 340,713 times
I eagerly await the day that my investments in California’s economy will be considered an ‘International Mutual Fund’!

There will be no civil war. The blue states will be given a hearty ‘Buh Bye’ and the national celebration will begin.

Old 07-12-2019, 09:55 AM

13,601 posts, read 4,934,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
The Magna Carta has no legal standing either. There is no "precedence" there.....

REPUBLICAN FORM[indent]GOVERNMENT (Republican Form of Government)- One in which the powers of sovereignty are vested in the people and are exercised by the people ... directly...
- - - Black's Law Dictionary, Sixth Edition, P. 695
I wonder what words you conveniently excluded when you quoted ".....directly....."?

Because the online version of Black's defines a republic as:

A commonwealth; a form of government which derives all its powers directly or indirectly from the general body of citizens, and in which the executive power is lodged in officers chosen by and representing the people, and holding office for a limited period, or at most during good behavior or at the pleasure of the people, and in which the legislative power may be (and in modern republics is) intrusted to a representative assembly.

Old 07-12-2019, 10:02 AM

6,073 posts, read 4,753,297 times
I have never heard of this person. can't be that influential. he's no paris hilton.

Old 07-12-2019, 10:03 AM

6,073 posts, read 4,753,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jas75 View Post
Actually, certain blue counties in red states are popular places for tech companies. The Austin and Raleigh/Durham areas are key examples, and they are getting both more populous and more liberal/Democratic year by year.
ironically, it's because of an influx of liberals moving from blue states because they're sick of taxes.

Old 07-13-2019, 04:04 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,892,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annino View Post
I eagerly await the day that my investments in California’s economy will be considered an ‘International Mutual Fund’!

There will be no civil war. The blue states will be given a hearty ‘Buh Bye’ and the national celebration will begin.
Just what we need people deciding not to be treated for mental illness so they can keep their guns!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies