Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2019, 10:57 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,259,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Cool, you present an alternate hypothesis. What event, in your mind, suddenly triggered a resurgence in the thirst for Confederate pageantry in the 1950s and 1960s? I'll get you started:
Second row, third from right looks almost like a young Bubba Clinton.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2019, 10:58 AM

46,947 posts, read 25,984,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
What message does the "La Raza" flag transmit? How about the Nation of Islam? What about the Hammer and Sickle? How about the BLM flag? What about libs flying the North Vietnam flag in the 60s?
Before you try to use whataboutism, do make sure the situations are somewhat comparable. The Southern Gentlemen made it official policy to fly the Confederate flag in front of their government buildings. Some of even made it part of their state flags.

Now show me the state government that flies the Vietcong flag in front of the Caitol. Point out the state that celebrates "Ho Chi Minh" day. You can't, can you?

Quote:
I don't necessarily agree with people flying the confederate flag (a few of my neighbors do), but at least it is a symbol of their heritage, not mine. The above listed flags are not of anyone's heritage, but are flown to incite violence. However, such symbols are okay with libs, as they do not oppose the concept of flying potentially offensive flags, just ones that support their views.
Your neighbor can fly his participation ribbon all he wants. Always useful when the idiots self-identify. But if you can't grasp the difference between private displays and government displays, there's not much point to having the conversation.

Old 07-15-2019, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
Second row, third from right looks almost like a young Bubba Clinton.
You looked at them that closely? To each their own, I guess.

Old 07-15-2019, 11:08 AM

36,522 posts, read 30,856,131 times
Quote:
I sure have. In doing so, it became pretty clear which states had to have their arms twisted to do what was right, and also which of those states reacted by instituting their childish displays of "Confederate Pride", whatever that even means.
So for you it is about the order in which states stopped being discriminatory or you just made because some states dont want to erase history?
Either way it does not give you insight into what everyone in particular state or region thinks or feels or how they behave. That is my point.
I really dont think many people give a fig about a 100 year old law obligating the mayor to declare a holiday or a 40 year old ordinance obligating them to declare July 13th Nathan Bedford Forrest day.

Old 07-15-2019, 11:32 AM

73,009 posts, read 62,598,043 times
Quote:
True that - although I'd argue that the motive has shifted.
The way I see it, the Confederate flag has no place in American society. If a symbol is suppose to stand for southern heritage, it should be a uniting symbol. It is suppose to transcend race/ethnicity. It should be dear to all southerners, regardless of race. This is not the case.

Consider this. The majority of African-Americans live in the South. Most African-Americans, regardless of where they live, descend from southerners. This makes African-Americans the most southern of any racial group. Based on numbers, one might expect African-Americans to take on the Confederate flag as part of their southern heritage. The opposite is the case. African-Americans are the most likely to view the Confederate flag as a racist symbol. When I walk around and see people flying Confederate flag, it is mainly White persons flying it. It would be important to consider why this is. If it is truly about heritage, why are the vast majority of Blacks not claiming it as their own?

Old 07-15-2019, 11:49 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,259,110 times
Quote:
You looked at them that closely? To each their own, I guess.
Obviously, I did.

Old 07-15-2019, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
So for you it is about the order in which states stopped being discriminatory or you just made because some states dont want to erase history?
Sense this sentence makes not.

Quote:
Either way it does not give you insight into what everyone in particular state or region thinks or feels or how they behave. That is my point.
Not everyone, obviously. Just enough to hold a comfortable majority and make political decisions.

Quote:
I really dont think many people give a fig about a 100 year old law obligating the mayor to declare a holiday or a 40 year old ordinance obligating them to declare July 13th Nathan Bedford Forrest day.
We're here debating it, aren't we? Even Ted Cruz came down on the side of decency on this one.

Old 07-15-2019, 01:42 PM

36,522 posts, read 30,856,131 times
Quote:
Sense this sentence makes not.
Substitute the word mad or made and see if the sentence makes sense to you now.
Quote:
Not everyone, obviously. Just enough to hold a comfortable majority and make political decisions.

We're here debating it, aren't we? Even Ted Cruz came down on the side of decency on this one.
So because Trump was elected President, you as an American support everything the administration does?
You support everything your mayor, governor and all elected politicians have supported and passed for the last 40 years.
Quote:

Tennesseans, at least the white ones, the ones you said are all unhappy about racial equality.

Old 07-15-2019, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post
BTW, the reason that the Army gives for retaining all these Confederate names is that "they honor the man and not the politics".

That would seem to open the floodgates to a bunch of naming conventions.
Naming a tank for Rommel was considered a bit controversial, but it had to be conceded that politics aside, he was indisputably an extremely successful armor general and a patriot.

Old 07-15-2019, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Tennesseans, at least the white ones, the ones you said are all unhappy about racial equality.
Pretty sure I would have remembered using the word "all".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies