Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2019, 03:19 PM

62,945 posts, read 29,134,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Maybe don't be so paranoid and/or self-absorbed that you assume they're talking about you? I've overheard many conversations in Spanish while in the US, and they're almost about the most mundane things ever. Like a wedding they have to go to, sports, or griping that their kids don't listen to them.

Even if they've learned English, it still doesn't feel natural speaking it, so they default to a language where they don't have to consciously conjugate every verb or worry about how their accent sounds.
Why do people like you always claim that it's about being paranoid about the foreign language user speaking about others? Is that all you've got? Why would anyone care what perfect strangers have to say about them anyway? Why would a perfect stranger even be talking about you since they don't even know you? That makes no sense at all. I've explained over and over what my objections are none which are what you are claiming.

The more you use a language the more natural it will become to you but many foreign language users don't care about that they are just stubbornly sticking to their native language out in public even if they know English. I don't give a damn if they speak it with an accent or not perfect English I would applaud them for making the effort.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2019, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUNNDFRNT View Post
Cruelty is the point.
It's cruel to enforce our immigration laws especially when they have already been given orders of removal that they ignored?

Old 07-13-2019, 03:27 PM

35,699 posts, read 21,049,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Why do people like you always claim that it's about being paranoid about the foreign language user speaking about others? Is that all you've got? Why would anyone care what perfect strangers have to say about them anyway? Why would a perfect stranger even be talking about you since they don't even know you? That makes no sense at all. I've explained over and over what my objections are none which are what you are claiming.

The more you use a language the more natural it will become to you but many foreign language users don't care about that they are just stubbornly sticking to their native language out in public even if they know English. I don't give a damn if they speak it with an accent or not perfect English I would applaud them for making the effort.
They are not here to please you, get your approval or your blessing. Control issues much? Why does anyone have to assimilate for any reason besides they want to ? And experts can tell you learning a new language is not that easy for adults. After 5 yes they can go for citizenship and sometimes takes that long to learn the few words needed to survive. Here all seem like a judge and jury - and wonder why they might resent people like that ? I resent it for them !

Old 07-13-2019, 03:29 PM

5,429 posts, read 4,459,309 times
People get triggered by too much now. Too many snowflakes.

Old 07-13-2019, 04:36 PM

10,233 posts, read 6,317,831 times
My irrelevant experience today. I have been sitting outside on my computer for 7 hours having my rugs ripped up and replaced with laminate flooring. ONE man to to an entire living room, dining room, hallway floor, and closets, all alone. Juan does not speak much English. Told us hours ago, on his cell translation, two others were coming to help him. Never showed up and he is busting his BUTT OFF up and down our stairs doing this all alone, including moving heavy furniture. Donde esta dos hombres? No entiende? When all else failed, I used hand language.

I have no problem with him only speaking Spanish (in PA, not Florida), but with the national flooring company with only sending ONE PERSON to do this big a job. I feel very sorry for this man with all the work he is doing all alone. We have spent nearly $4,000 for this, and you can be sure he is making just a fraction of that.

You can be sure I will be writing up a negative review on social media about this company, and it won't be because of a Spanish speaking workman. They are taking advantage of him.

Last edited by Jo48; 07-13-2019 at 04:50 PM..

Old 07-13-2019, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
My irrelevant experience today. I have been sitting outside on my computer for 7 hours having my rugs ripped up and replaced with laminate flooring. ONE man to to an entire floor all alone. Juan does not speak much English. Told us hours ago, on his cell translation, two others were coming to help him. Never showed up and he is busting his BUTT OFF up and down our stairs doing this all alone, including moving heavy furniture. Donde esta dos hombres? No entiende? When all else failed, I used hand language.

I have no problem with him only speaking Spanish (in PA, not Florida), but with the national flooring company with only sending ONE PERSON to do this big a job. I feel very sorry for this man with all the work he is doing all alone. We have spent nearly $4,000 for this, and you can be sure he is making just a fraction of that.

You can be sure I will be writing up a negative review on social media about this company, and it won't be because of a Spanish speaking workman.
Was he here legally? Why wouldn't he know English if he was? Good work ethics aren't something just attributed to a particular ethnic group either. There are hard workers and lazy people in every race.

Old 07-13-2019, 04:42 PM

1,893 posts, read 1,009,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
My irrelevant experience today. I have been sitting outside on my computer for 7 hours having my rugs ripped up and replaced with laminate flooring. ONE man to to an entire floor all alone. Juan does not speak much English. Told us hours ago, on his cell translation, two others were coming to help him. Never showed up and he is busting his BUTT OFF up and down our stairs doing this all alone, including moving heavy furniture. Donde esta dos hombres? No entiende? When all else failed, I used hand language.

You can be sure I will be writing up a negative review on social media about this company, and it won't be because of a Spanish speaking workman. They are taking advantage of him.
seeing the same thing down here in FL ---Hispanics working their tails off doing all our manual, difficult work under the hot, blistering sun, while Caucasians being caught up in meth labs, breaking in drug stores, beating up their girlfriends, and complaining that no one wants to hire them.

Old 07-13-2019, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBMorgan View Post
seeing the same thing down here in FL ---Hispanics working their tails off doing all our manual, difficult work under the hot, blistering sun, while Caucasians being caught up in meth labs, breaking in drug stores, beating up their girlfriends, and complaining that no one wants to hire them.
What an absolute false and racist statement to make! You should be ashamed of yourself stereotyping the entire white race that way. I have seen plenty of white Americans out doing road work in the hot, blazing sun just for one example. Hispanics aren't superior to any other race, white, black or Asian, etc. To claim so is just plain racist!

Old 07-13-2019, 05:25 PM

11,988 posts, read 5,293,305 times
Quote:
What an absolute false and racist statement to make! You should be ashamed of yourself stereotyping the entire white race that way. I have seen plenty of white Americans out doing road work in the hot, blazing sun just for one example. Hispanics aren't superior to any other race, white, black or Asian, etc. To claim so is just plain racist!
Did you ever think that maybe they’re saying that because they knew that you’d go apes**t?

Your feelings on this issue are so well known on this board that they could just be intentionally pushing your buttons.

Old 07-13-2019, 05:28 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,532,093 times
Quote:
It's not about wanting to listen to anyone else's conversation it's about having to listen to foreign babble being spoken loudly in public especially when you can't escape it. At least have the courtesy to move to a private area where you're not in earshot of others. It makes one feel like they are living in a foreign country, it's rude and arrogant, IMO. I'm speaking of those who do know English but refuse to speak it out in public.
I suggest you get earplugs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies