Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2019, 03:11 AM

3,698 posts, read 1,361,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
Yes you can converse with a neighbor who doesn’t speak your language. People do it all the time who travel. People get what they need to get across somehow. You could also learn a word or two to help facilitate communications. It’s not impossible
But im not traveling. If you think my neighbor and I having our interactions reduced to grunts, pointing at pictures or a game of charades is a good thing thats just nutty.
Youre forgetting most europeans speak english
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2019, 03:18 AM

3,698 posts, read 1,361,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
I honestly don't get this. If I'm speaking to a friend/family member in line at a store, at a restaurant, anywhere out in public in the USA, why must it be in English? This sounds insane to me. Unless you're dying to eavesdrop on a private conversation, why do you care?
Why are you having a private conversation in public?
Heres a proposal. Every family in the country should develop their own private language. That way we can all walk around in public with nobody knowing what each family is saying. Because you dont need to know what were saying, its none of your damn business anyway.
America the something.

Old 07-14-2019, 03:54 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,489,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phinneas j. whoopee View Post
Heres a proposal. Every family in the country should develop their own private language. That way we can all walk around in public with nobody knowing what each family is saying. Because you dont need to know what were saying, its none of your damn business anyway.
America the something.
I don't CARE what each family is saying to each other whether it's in Spanish, French, Swedish, Hebrew, Italian... . It's none of my concern when other people are chatting with each other. If someone in the cereal aisle at Target turns to me (English speaking, can barely remember any of my Spanish and French) to ask in...I don't know, maybe Swahili, where the oatmeal is then I've been engaged and we're going to have to do some pantomime.

Old 07-14-2019, 04:29 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,205,244 times
Quote:
I think 2 persons speaking spanish in front of english speakers if they know english is rude.

Do you have any idea how many American tourists go abroad and brazenly and disgustingly speak English to each other in restaurants and buses? No wonder so many of those rude American tourists are gunned down in the streets of places like Denmark.

Old 07-14-2019, 04:32 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,875,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
It's the Cubans who refuse to assimilate to the English language in Florida. Why not speak Spanish in the privacy of your own home or out of earshot of native English speakers?
The question begs. Why do you even care?

Old 07-14-2019, 04:34 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,875,030 times
Quote:
America the something.
Oh, so its about you can't understand what is being said and it bothers you. I never pay attention enough to others to take note what language they are conversing in. I flat out dont care. I think that people who do might need to seek some help.

Old 07-14-2019, 04:56 AM

58,973 posts, read 27,267,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBMorgan View Post
do you appreciate that your tax dollars are being spent to make signage bilingual? and that documents in every department of government for the public are produced in languages other than English (like voting ballots, tax forms, fishing regulations) costing you a ton of money in taxes or that your school programs are brought down in ranking because a large number of students are unable to speak English....

https://www.usenglish.org/official-e...ltilingualism/
"do you appreciate that your tax dollars are being spent to make signage bilingual?"

I had to buy equipment for the gov't capable of handling 5 LANGUAGES. What a waste of money.

The law REQUIRES you to be able to SPEAK and UNDERSTAND ENGLISH to become a citizen, So I DON'T understand why everything has to also be in Spanish. We should NOT be wasting tax dollars on printing, etc, in Spanish.

Old 07-14-2019, 05:55 AM

5,869 posts, read 4,205,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"

The law REQUIRES you to be able to SPEAK and UNDERSTAND ENGLISH to become a citizen, So I DON'T understand why everything has to also be in Spanish. We should NOT be wasting tax dollars on printing, etc, in Spanish.

Because we are "We the people", not "We the citizens", who have no constitutional standing.

I "became" a citizen when I was one minute old, and could,'t speak a word of English, and no law required me to.

Old 07-14-2019, 06:36 AM

34,229 posts, read 18,561,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonCopy View Post
I hope you're as outraged at the government for spending millions of our tax dollars on Trump's weekly golf outings.
Presidents play golf. Presidents go on vacation. Obama played a LOT of golf and went on a LOT of vacations. Often Michelle and entourage would go separately greatly increasing the cost. I had no problem with that. That is what Presidents do. However, I have not yet heard Trump going to Hawaii multiple times, or Martha's Vineyard, multiple times or other places on any vacations.

You just don't like Trump, and are being a hypocrite.

Old 07-14-2019, 06:55 AM

12,954 posts, read 13,665,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
Regardless of what people may think of someone who calls a black person a N....., the fact is, that speech is protected by the constitution.

Bob.
Wrong "Fighting Words" are not protected by freedom of speech.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fighting_words

If a person called me the N word I shall pull out my dagger and make them a feast for the buzzards, and they will meet their maker as a the excrement of a vile animal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies