Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2019, 07:31 AM

62,938 posts, read 29,126,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonCopy View Post
I really hope this person doesn't travel to a non-English speaking foreign country and start blabbing in English in front of native citizens. That would be so rude.
Traveling as a tourist to a foreign country and moving permanently to reside there are two different things. Not knowing the language of a foreign country you are merely visiting opposed to moving to a foreign country and refusing to learn or speak their native language are entirely two different things. I can't believe I have had to explain this to so many under this topic. It's mind boggling!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

35,691 posts, read 21,045,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Cute story but we aren't talking about people who just got off the boat or that are tourists in our country.
You have your immigration laptop to scan folks and tell you when they came ?? Or profiling ?

5,869 posts, read 4,208,266 times
Quote:
No not really. Anyone with half a brain would know that people under the Constitution meant citizens not foreign invaders. Your analogy is just plain silly. No baby no matter where they were born can speak a language yet. What the poster was referring to are those who are naturalized citizens and yes they do have to know passable English to become citizens of our country.

Good thing it wasn't the people with half a brain who wrote the constitution.

7,827 posts, read 3,380,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
Not listening to someone else’s conversation sounds the same regardless of what language is being used.

Mind your own business.
I don't think anyone is talking about two people speaking generally on the street or in a restaurant. The point here is that the workers were being rude in front of customers - at least this is the issue that I see. Those ladies were giving money to that establishment for a product, and they expected not to be treated rudely.

The same would apply imo, if two people were speaking English loudly and leaning on the counters or such. Many workers are very rude these days and do not realize their behavior is unacceptable.

Old 07-14-2019, 07:33 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,878,006 times
Quote:
I've explained it over and and over. Geezus!
Yeah, something like , I dont like hearing foreign babble?

I don't like hearing people babbling about sports, the Kardashians, or the latest TV brain damage series. I hate standing in line and listening to senior citizens carp about how SS doesn't pay enough, as they order their $50 worth of daily numbers.

I live in another country now. I rarely hear my own language unless I am out with expats. We speak only English when we are out. No one gets mad at us for it. Most people get it. It's easier to converse in your first language and it hurts no one.

Old 07-14-2019, 07:36 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,878,006 times
Quote:
Traveling as a tourist to a foreign country and moving permanently to reside there are two different things. Not knowing the language of a foreign country you are merely visiting opposed to moving to a foreign country and refusing to learn or speak their native language are entirely two different things. I can't believe I have had to explain this to so many under this topic. It's mind boggling!
Well I live in a foreign country and can speak the language. I still speak in English when out with ex-pats. It's just easier to speak in my first language. None of the locals get irate or POed because the whites are speaking English. They honestly just dont care. It isn't rude, It isn't wrong. It's just convenient. I don't understand your anger over it. Usually we agree.

Old 07-14-2019, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
Not listening to someone else’s conversation sounds the same regardless of what language is being used.

Just pretend they’re one of the many white people who can’t even speak proper English.

Mind your own business.
Maybe you should mind your own business and stop addressing me. I've explained my position over and over in here yet you feel the need to keep going on the attack. Now you're just resorting to the race card with your uncalled for remarks about white Americans. Nobody speaks any language perfectly and it has nothing to do with the topic at hand anyway.

Old 07-14-2019, 07:45 AM

14,482 posts, read 11,278,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Not one, but two such incidents in the past several days.

Is it just me, or are these types of incidents happening more often lately?

And it's not just Spanish, few years ago someone got triggered because some Greek Americans were speaking Greek in a Los Angeles grocery store. And many other examples as well.

A Burger King manager was told to 'go back to Mexico' for speaking Spanish in a Florida fast food restaurant

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F9qmX-5uGV0

'I hope Trump deports you': Customer threatens Puerto Rican woman for speaking Spanish

If you don't think this crap has been going for generations, you're dumb as a stump. The only difference is that people now have iPhones to film it, social media to spread it, and a profoundly corrupt media to promulgate it.

Old 07-14-2019, 07:47 AM

7,827 posts, read 3,380,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Well I live in a foreign country and can speak the language. I still speak in English when out with ex-pats. It's just easier to speak in my first language. None of the locals get irate or POed because the whites are speaking English. They honestly just dont care. It isn't rude, It isn't wrong. It's just convenient. I don't understand your anger over it. Usually we agree.
The difference is that you're the customer, not the worker. I think most people are missing the point here.

Old 07-14-2019, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Yeah, something like , I dont like hearing foreign babble?

I don't like hearing people babbling about sports, the Kardashians, or the latest TV brain damage series. I hate standing in line and listening to senior citizens carp about how SS doesn't pay enough, as they order their $50 worth of daily numbers.

I live in another country now. I rarely hear my own language unless I am out with expats. We speak only English when we are out. No one gets mad at us for it. Most people get it. It's easier to converse in your first language and it hurts no one.
I see, so you don't like some other things and that's ok but if I don't like hearing loud foreign languages in public it's not ok? It's not like I approach them and tell them to stop it. It's an opinion. What part of that don't you get???

Your example of speaking English with legal expats isn't what this is about. It's about American citizens and foreigners who reside here that refuse to learn or speak English when they know how to that this is about. Things come easier when they are practiced!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies