Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2019, 08:58 AM

4,554 posts, read 3,754,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Oh stop with the personal attacks! I'm not the only who feels this way and it's not about me but respect for our nation's language and assimilation into our society.
So how do you feel about my example with my Greek mother, as mentioned in my previous post?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2019, 09:18 AM

4,288 posts, read 2,059,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Partial Observer View Post
The issue is that it makes OldGlory and his old, white brethren feel uncomfortable. Free speech means the right to speak Murican.
Why do you say this. Do you know Old Glory likes it when white eastern European people speak loudly in their language. Not everything is about skin color. Although for some reason people like to think it is.

Personally it doesn't bother me when people speak in foreign languages as long as it doesn't interfere with service or job related interactions. For example I don't like it when the person at the drive through does not have a good command of English.

Old 07-15-2019, 10:08 AM

1,893 posts, read 1,009,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Partial Observer View Post
The issue is that it makes OldGlory and his old, white brethren feel uncomfortable. Free speech means the right to speak Murican.
Free speech includes a little old lady speaking her mind.

Old 07-15-2019, 10:17 AM

15,071 posts, read 10,101,447 times
News at 7...

Man assaulted because his accent triggered some snowflake. During the arrest, individual was yelling "This is not an English Colony. We won and kicked them out. Speak Murican."

Old 07-15-2019, 10:25 AM

5,315 posts, read 2,113,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBMorgan View Post
Free speech includes a little old lady speaking her mind.
Free speech does not mean free from consequences.

Old 07-15-2019, 10:51 AM

1,619 posts, read 1,101,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phinneas j. whoopee View Post
I think 2 persons speaking spanish in front of english speakers if they know english is rude.
Don't like it? Don't listen to it.

Old 07-15-2019, 12:42 PM

6,548 posts, read 7,279,139 times
They complain and want people to only speak English in the USA but when they travel abroad they throw a fit and complain about customer service if nobody speaks English to them.

Old 07-15-2019, 01:08 PM

5,315 posts, read 2,113,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonCopy View Post
I was born and raised here. English is my first language but I can also speak Spanish. So if I start talking to my 98 year old Colombian born and raised grandmother near you, you're going to throw a fit and tell me to go back to where I came from (ala our wonderful President)? Why do you assume anyone speaking a foreign language doesn't know English? Your "reasons" make absolutely no sense and you keep digging yourself into a bigger hole the more you respond.
Also, according to his argument (he wouldn't see what I say since I am one of the 50 billion people he has blocked on here, so can't respond directly to his post), it should then be no problem if I am speaking Spanish or maybe Italian or another language I am working on, out in public.

After all, I am just practicing the language so I am more comfortable in it, right? I spent 4 years in high school learning it, so it would be a shame to not keep it up and I don't feel like only doing it at home.

Old 07-15-2019, 02:17 PM

6,915 posts, read 3,950,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
WTH does that mean? There is no such word in the dictionary. Is that some kind of foreign babble term that you seem to adore?
It means none of your business.

Old 07-15-2019, 07:03 PM

62,945 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pretty in black View Post
Don't like it? Don't listen to it.
You can't escape it many times. I was in a restaurant one time and a group of Spanish speakers were at a table right near me no other tables were available. They were speaking it very loudly but when the waiter showed up they all switched to English to order because he obviously didn't speak Spanish so it's not like they couldn't speak English! Non-assimilation and rudeness 101.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies