Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2019, 11:57 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,695,368 times

Advertisements

I could care less what language is being spoken around me. So long as I'm not the topic. Then again, since I won't understand I'll never know LoL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2019, 12:52 PM

1,893 posts, read 1,009,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joee5 View Post
I could care less what language is being spoken around me. So long as I'm not the topic. Then again, since I won't understand I'll never know LoL
do you appreciate that your tax dollars are being spent to make signage bilingual? and that documents in every department of government for the public are produced in languages other than English (like voting ballots, tax forms, fishing regulations) costing you a ton of money in taxes or that your school programs are brought down in ranking because a large number of students are unable to speak English....

https://www.usenglish.org/official-e...ltilingualism/

Old 07-13-2019, 01:29 PM

8,452 posts, read 4,749,660 times
Now the whole world had one language and a common speech. As people moved eastward, they found a plain in Shinar and settled there. They said to each other, “Come, let’s make bricks and bake them thoroughly.” They used brick instead of stone, and tar for mortar. Then they said, “Come, let us build ourselves a city, with a tower that reaches to the heavens, so that we may make a name for ourselves; otherwise we will be scattered over the face of the whole earth.” But the LORD came down to see the city and the tower the people were building. The LORD said, “If as one people speaking the same language they have begun to do this, then nothing they plan to do will be impossible for them. Come, let us go down and confuse their language so they will not understand each other.” So the LORD scattered them from there over all the earth, and they stopped building the city. That is why it was called Babel —because there the LORD confused the language of the whole world. From there the LORD scattered them over the face of the whole earth.

Old 07-13-2019, 01:32 PM

35,688 posts, read 21,045,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phinneas j. whoopee View Post
I think 2 persons speaking spanish in front of english speakers if they know english is rude.
It’s rude to be ease dropping!!!! How twisted can one get !!dang - borderline racism

Old 07-13-2019, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
This is a bold faced lie.
I'm of Cuban descent and from Miami. I speak Spanish to my mother in her native tongue because she is more comfortable at the grocery store, the mall, or at the post office even though she can speak English.
That is none of YOUR business what language I use to speak to her in public just because your "sensitivities" are "offended".
The Cuban population in the US is now over 70 years old and into their 3rd. & 4th. generations and the vast majority speak English first and barely any Spanish in the latter generations.
I don't know where you get these assertions that Cubans have refused to assimilate & speak English.
Can you tell that to my various nieces & nephews and cousins of Cuban descent who can barely speak Spanish at all?

Stop LYING about the Cubans !
I am from Miami Beach. The Jews used to be the snow birds and they never had an issue with the Hispanics etc . They spoke their Yiddish 😊 wonder whose going to complain on that ? Or God forbid. The French models or now the million Canadians ! We know what this is! They targeting Hispanics

Old 07-13-2019, 02:16 PM

3,698 posts, read 1,362,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Well, let’s you know who the most intense conversation snoopers are.

Get so riled up about not being able to eavesdrop? Seriously? They obviously need to do some international travel for exposure but I wouldn’t wish them on the host country.
I thank user latimeria for making my argument for me.

"partly to hide stuff from the kids"

And when they are looking at you and smiling and speaking in a language you dont understand (except for words like whetto) and isnt native to people born in this country its just f'ing rude.
Not only that but it displays their intent not to assimilate and respect American culture but bring theirs here and displace it.
Aztlan and Reconquista are whats really going on here. Wake the f up.

Old 07-13-2019, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joee5 View Post

What about when theyre looking at you and laughing, saying things like white boy in spanish... you dont care? Being near the border I have worked in businesses where whole departments were all mexican immigrants and that kind of thing was common.

Old 07-13-2019, 02:25 PM

6,835 posts, read 2,399,004 times
When in public like that, it helps to know a moderate amount of English or have someone with you. Same thing applies if I was in Japan and knowing Japanese.

Old 07-13-2019, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
My great-grandma came from Italy and could only speak Italian until she passed away at 94 years old. As a very young child, I could understand her. Both my Grandma and Mom were Bi-lingual. When they went out shopping in Italian stores and pushcarts (showing my age), they would always speak Italian. It was kinda of a bond. Many a time I knew they were bargaining the "price" of what they wanted to buy in Italian. I have lost most of the language, but I could certainly curse someone out in Italian even today! Watch out you English Only people!

I grew up in NYC when there was a large influx of US CITIZEN Puerto Ricans. People all around and signs all over in Spanish. I wanted to understand it so I took Spanish in HS. Waste of time? Moving out of NYC and over decades I lost most of what I was taught in school and heard out in public.

Moved to South Florida 10 years ago and started hearing a lot of Spanish, and it started coming back to me. I have had many occasions, in some desperate situations, to try to fudge my HS Spanish both in public and working in Florida's Public Schools. The Native Spanish speakers seemed pleased, and quite amused. lol Hell, cannot blame someone for trying. That was the same attitude I got when I traveled to Italy and tried to speak Italian to them.

There was one little boy who I worked with in Florida who was bi-lingual Creole/English. Most of his friends were Hispanic. He could not only switch from Creole to English but also to Spanish, and was growing up TRI-lingual. Oh, cannot have THAT in America. ENGLISH ONLY. It seems ignorance is bliss today in America.
Are there 22million italians invading america now?

Old 07-13-2019, 02:32 PM

Some folks just too backwoods. I was born in a big city and many languages are spoken, I never considered it rude . Btw. Walt Disney have a flying fit if you had to speak English to visit his parks ! FLORIDA - International tourist destination !! The transplant complainers (grrr) GO back to your backwoods please !

FYI- The number of inbound international visitors to the United States was estimated to reach 78 million in 2018.

And what do you want them to speak ??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies