Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2019, 10:18 AM

52,219 posts, read 33,969,431 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
Cops bungled this collar. Should have been able cuff and stuff the guy without killing him. And the cop doing the choke hold. All tatted up like an outlaw biker. Cops should present a neat and professional appearance. Not look like psycho thugs. What the hell is going on in New York?
they can't afford to reject tattooed applicants any more than the armed forces can. it basically cuts the perspective employee pool by 80%.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2019, 10:21 AM

79,902 posts, read 43,902,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Reportedly, most charges were for selling loose cigarettes on the street without a license and he was doing so once again on the day he died.
Zero proof of that. He had no cigarettes on him when he was killed. He was simply recognized as someone who had done so in the past.

Old 07-16-2019, 10:22 AM

16,352 posts, read 8,031,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Cuff and stuff the guy for what? Standing on a street corner while black? That was basically his only crime. But it's a crime punishable by death according to the police and prosecutors. And it isn't only New York. It's pretty much an epidemic across the country. This is what BLM is all about.
Selling loosies (single cigarettes with usually no tax paid). No big deal. But who was he selling them to? School kids? Druggies and winos? If someone was standing on the corner in my neighborhood selling loosies I'd want him out of there. And race would not be a factor.

Old 07-16-2019, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
they can't afford to reject tattooed applicants any more than the armed forces can. it basically cuts the perspective employee pool by 80%.
In my neck of the woods I see very few cops with tats. And I've never seen one tatted up like that cop in Staten Island.

Old 07-16-2019, 10:25 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,823,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by r small View Post
Selling loosies (single cigarettes with usually no tax paid). No big deal. But who was he selling them to? School kids? Druggies and winos? If someone was standing on the corner in my neighborhood selling loosies I'd want him out of there. And race would not be a factor.
As pknopp has stated several times in this thread, he had no loose cigarettes on him when they murdered him. So now we arrest people for things they did in the past, or might do again in the future? If you're black that seems too often to be the case.

Old 07-16-2019, 10:29 AM

5,716 posts, read 2,166,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Odd that common sense here isn't to leave someone alone simply standing on a sidewalk.

The officer recognized Garner as someone who had been arrested in the past for selling loose cigarette's on the street corner (horrors).

They were called over a fight but when they got there the two who had been fighting had fled. With his adrenaline all pumping the officer had to go after someone so he went after Garner. He told him to show him what was in his pockets. Garner was under NO obligation to do so and said so. It was a violation of his civil rights for the officer to further push the matter. He did anyway.
Look, it sucks, but if he complied then he would be here today. I’m not saying the officer was in the right, but from my first hand experience it only ends badly for you if you try to resist.

Old 07-16-2019, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
As pknopp has stated several times in this thread, he had no loose cigarettes on him when they murdered him. So now we arrest people for things they did in the past, or might do again in the future? If you're black that seems too often to be the case.
Like I said, the cops screwed up. Even if they saw him in the act of selling loosies to a minor, which would be a legitimate cause for arrest in my opinion, they should not have used a choke hold on him. And if they didn't see him commit any crime at all they should have just left him the hell alone.

Old 07-16-2019, 10:32 AM

30,546 posts, read 21,703,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I could be wrong about this, but I thought chokehold was banned by police department?

Truly sad. This is one of those times I believe police was in the wrong.
True, but the anti-police crowd will include the Violent Michael Brown on their list of victims which just destroys their moral argument. When the cop in the Michael Brown case was cleared by no other than Obama's AG, they should have broadcasted Brown supporters were wrong!

Old 07-16-2019, 10:34 AM

28,122 posts, read 12,440,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Reportedly, most charges were for selling loose cigarettes on the street without a license and he was allegedly doing so once again on the day he died, despite no cigarettes were found.

It is clear Garner resisted arrest. It is clear the officer used force, despite that Garner was physically incapable of running. It is clear Garner repeatedly said he could not breathe. The officer denied using a chokehold. The Medical Examiner supported by the autopsy, concluded a chokehold had been used.

The officer did not intend to kill him and his defense argued that Garner’s own health problems ( heart disease, diabetes, severe asthma, obesity, and sleep apnea) caused his death. Seems reasonable the chokehold triggered cardiac arrest.

The city previously settled out of court with the family for $5.9 million.

Both Obama and Bush 2 had previously spoken out about Garner’s death.

Had Garner not resisted he might be alive, today.

Had the officer not used a chokehold - excessive force, Garner might be alive, today.
He was very much in the right for resisting arrest here imo, and I think the city needs to publicly admit that!!

Citizens DO HAVE rights when it comes to dealing with police, he was NOT doing anything wrong, its a shame no other citizens came to his aid and maybe put the damn cop in a chokehold! LOL

I would also support rioting over this, in this case, its definitely justified.

Old 07-16-2019, 10:37 AM

5,850 posts, read 3,264,725 times
Good! Officer Pantaleo did nothing wrong! Eric Garner was arrested over 30 times in his life. The cops were specifically sent there to deal with Mr Garner. The business owners had complained about him. The Chief of Patrol who is is black by the way ordered them there.The cops the day prior told Eric Garner that if he came back he would be arrested. Then the next day where was Mr Garner? Thats right hustling as usual. Then Mr Garner knowing that he would was going to be arrested chose to fight a group of cops. Mr Garner is not some innocent choir boy. Mr Garner almost put PO Panatleo through a glass pane window. Watch the video. Eric Garner was wildly overweight, He had heart problems and diabetes. He was breathing when he said he could not breathe. You can't speak if you can't breathe. He was breathing after being cuffed. He was breathing in the ambulance. He died 1 1/2 hours later in the hospital. People that say that he should have been arrested without incident have zero idea of what they are talking about. Have you ever had to wrestle with a 300 pound male who does not want to be arrested? Eric Garner died of numerous medical conditions and his choice to fight with the cops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies