Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2019, 12:57 PM

5,671 posts, read 4,352,826 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
50 years ago today, Apollo 11 carrying Neil Armstrong, Buzz Aldrin, and Michael Collins set off for the moon. today's kids would rather be a youtube personality

i guess they at least have a better chance of getting their wish than those that want to be astronauts..

https://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-conte...nastronaut.jpg
I'd rather be a Youtuber than an Astronaut. I'd rather get to tell my opinions to a large amount of people and experience some mild fame than risk having some wrench Buzz Aldrin or someone dropped in orbit several decades ago impaling my forehead at seventeen thousand miles per hour.

YouTube used to be a great career choice. The only problem now is that it's flushing down the toilet for most content creators who do anything even mildly controversial or comment on anything political, and many things historical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
We believed in science.

Now we've got anti-vaxxers and dismiss scientists as "liberal elite".
I think people still believe in science, but in the opposite direction, not the big and obvious type anymore, but the small and subtle one, like nanotechnology, medicine, etc.

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
50 years ago today, Apollo 11 carrying Neil Armstrong, Buzz Aldrin, and Michael Collins set off for the moon. today's kids would rather be a youtube personality

i guess they at least have a better chance of getting their wish than those that want to be astronauts..

https://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-conte...nastronaut.jpg
I feel the same when I see how few are interested in a military career or even spending a few years in the military.

Old 07-16-2019, 12:58 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,564,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
There are. It's just no one really cares. Quick: Can you name any of the nine astronauts slated to fly on on CST-100 and Crew Dragon?
fair enough. they exist, but they get no exposure. particularly at the kid level.
no, i can't name a one.

Old 07-16-2019, 12:59 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,334,337 times
Quote:
thinking long-term though, it's pretty clear that a kid determined to be an astronaut (assuming they are fairly intelligent to begin with) is unlikely to actually become an astronaut. but if they pursue that goal long enough they are bound to obtain a high level of education in hard science and math that will serve them well in whatever occupation they may end up in - not so likely with the youtuber situation.
Very true, hopefully those YouTubers that do make it big, are investing their money wisely so when their 15-minutes are up they will be set for the rest of their lives.

Old 07-16-2019, 01:00 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,812,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
YouTube used to be a great career choice. The only problem now is that it's flushing down the toilet for most content creators who do anything even mildly controversial or comment on anything political, and many things historical.
Agree with this. It's so easy to be demonetized now on YouTube. It's becoming almost as censored if not moreso than network TV.

I always wanted to do YouTube back in the day but I never could because of my family. I miss the platform as it was from 2007 through about 2015-16.

Old 07-16-2019, 01:04 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,334,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I always wanted to do YouTube back in the day but I never could because of my family. I miss the platform as it was from 2007 through about 2015-16.
I agree the golden years of YouTube are long gone, but there are many families, especially Mormon ones that make some serious bank off of YouTube, if you want to exploit your kids and their cuteness for views.

Old 07-16-2019, 01:09 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,798,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
We believed in science.

Now we've got anti-vaxxers and dismiss scientists as "liberal elite".
We did. Even history. If history is being taught in schools, it's not American history, it's Islamic history.
Part of me wonders if they taught history and science from a young age, if we would be dealing with some of the things we are today. Including fake outrage over trivial things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
Many of these YouTube stars are living in large mansions in Los Angeles and live like rock stars. They aren't stuck in mom and dad's basement.
What does that have to do with the comment I replied to?
Yes some of the youtube stars do start out in mom and dad's homes at a very young age before making it to those large mansions.

Old 07-16-2019, 01:09 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,258,444 times
I'd imagine if the space program was doing stuff like flying places nowadays, more kids would want to be astronauts.

YouTubers can make a lot of money and never leave home.

I get why it might attract kids.

Old 07-16-2019, 01:12 PM

1,881 posts, read 1,010,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC76-81 View Post
No surprise here. This is what's happening with everything in todays "modern" world. The biggest business today is gaming and being a socialite on the internet. Both are complete nonsense.
says someone using the internet socializing their disgust about it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies