Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2019, 03:08 PM

346 posts, read 237,846 times

Advertisements

For those making fun of guys that make money by playing video games, is it any worse than women that make money by making fashion/makeup tutorial videos? Or just make react videos like this woman who has 16,220,216 subscribers:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxEBcHJwyUQ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2019, 03:18 PM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Fitting, they’ve dumbed down NASA to the point where a better bottle rocket is a stretch for them.
NASA has become a pork barrel for a bunch of subcontractors who developed a liking for government cash during the Shuttle years and now own enough Congresspeople that they'll never be asked to leave the trough. (Yes, mixed metaphor. Sue me.)

If a rocket should eventually emerge from the process, well - that's a bonus. The important bit is keeping the subcontractors running. One of them let the truth slip, recently...

Quote:
GREENFIELDBOYCE: Back at the factory, Bryant says NASA's rocket will inspire a whole new generation of space enthusiasts who never got to see Apollo or the space shuttles. And when it comes to the money, here's what he tells people.

BRYANT: Think of it as a jobs program. So we're taking - all of the funding that is given us to build this rocket, we're creating jobs everywhere. And not only that, we're all coming together to build a product that is going to make us proud to be Americans.

https://www.npr.org/2019/07/12/741046296/nasa-moves-forward-with-plans-for-multi-billion-dollar-moon-rocket

Old 07-16-2019, 03:21 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Another "big career" are professional gamers with their own twitch channel.
Why would someone watch someone else play an online video game AND pay for it is beyond me.

They are called "streamers".
Why would you watch professional sports?

Old 07-16-2019, 03:23 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,815,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
WOAH Number 1 lets be honest here, if your kid wanted to be an Astronaut they would likely have the brain power to both do Youtube while attending college. Just saying.

So you get upset for kids starting their own online business. These are full fledge businesses that take a lot of time and dedication. The content may be childish but it is a full day of work.

I look at it like this, if my kids options are:
1) Dig ditches
2) Flip burgers
3) Start a Youtube channel

I would tell my child to start recording your videos. At least it has the potential to lead into something bigger than $8.00 an hour.
I agree with this.

Most people don't put all their eggs into the YouTube basket until they've achieved a large enough following to actually make a living that way. It starts as a side hobby for most people.

My dad made me get a job doing dishes at KFC for $5.25/hr when I was in high school because it would "make a man out of me." While I can see his point, it was time spent doing something that could have been more valuable to my future and career path. Ironically, he also HATED the space program and believed it should be eliminated.

I think a lot of parents have inferiority complexes and they don't want to see their kids become more successful than they were.

Old 07-19-2019, 05:28 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,998,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Thanks, Obama, for killing the Space Shuttle program and not implementing a replacement. There are almost no such things as "astronauts" anymore, so it's no wonder that kids don't aspire to be one.

Bush killed the space shuttle program or rather retired it. It was Obama who killed the replacement, Constellation.

As far as today's kids go, well maybe it is just as well. They probably don't have perfect eyesight anyhow after staring into the tubes for so long.

Old 07-19-2019, 06:51 PM

8,804 posts, read 10,246,449 times
A lot of kids want to be entertainers, whether that be acting/singing or even being a professional athlete. It's been like this going back to at least the 90's when I was growing up, I don't recall anyone among my classmates stating they wanted to be an astronaut.

What kids will realize as they get older is that the odds of becoming the next PewDiePie, or Brad Pitt, or LeBron James, are going to be pretty slim because there is always going to be someone who is just "better". That doesn't mean that they will all give up the YouTube aspirations however, in fact some might find a niche that no one else has. There's sizable YouTube communities dedicated to things like bad drivers, or sports-related videos, or prank-calling IRS scammers, or even as someone else mentioned "how-to" videos. Some of these people do decent for themselves on YT although they tend to have other jobs as well. The "how-to" folks tend to be the guys who might work on your car for instance.

The internet has largely expanded into the world of entertainment, and thus will give those who can't shoot the 3-ball like Steph Curry a platform to make content devoted to Steph Curry shooting the 3-ball. It's more up to the creator however to try and be different from others who create similar content.

Is it "sad"? I wouldn't say so. The 12 y/o who wants to create Call of Duty videos will likely engage in other hobbies and interests as they grow up and realize that making money off of YT isn't for everyone.

Old 07-21-2019, 03:28 PM

28,675 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
A lot of kids want to be entertainers, whether that be acting/singing or even being a professional athlete. It's been like this going back to at least the 90's when I was growing up, I don't recall anyone among my classmates stating they wanted to be an astronaut.

What kids will realize as they get older is that the odds of becoming the next PewDiePie, or Brad Pitt, or LeBron James, are going to be pretty slim because there is always going to be someone who is just "better". That doesn't mean that they will all give up the YouTube aspirations however, in fact some might find a niche that no one else has. There's sizable YouTube communities dedicated to things like bad drivers, or sports-related videos, or prank-calling IRS scammers, or even as someone else mentioned "how-to" videos. Some of these people do decent for themselves on YT although they tend to have other jobs as well. The "how-to" folks tend to be the guys who might work on your car for instance.

The internet has largely expanded into the world of entertainment, and thus will give those who can't shoot the 3-ball like Steph Curry a platform to make content devoted to Steph Curry shooting the 3-ball. It's more up to the creator however to try and be different from others who create similar content.

Is it "sad"? I wouldn't say so. The 12 y/o who wants to create Call of Duty videos will likely engage in other hobbies and interests as they grow up and realize that making money off of YT isn't for everyone.

Overall, it's no different from kids aspiring to be sports stars or rock stars back in the 70s.

Old 07-21-2019, 03:49 PM

78,432 posts, read 60,613,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
50 years ago today, Apollo 11 carrying Neil Armstrong, Buzz Aldrin, and Michael Collins set off for the moon. today's kids would rather be a youtube personality

i guess they at least have a better chance of getting their wish than those that want to be astronauts..

https://cdn.arstechnica.net/wp-conte...nastronaut.jpg
*shrug* maybe they're just smart enough to realize that they have no shot at being an astronaut at their intelligence level...but any doofus can be a youtuber.

Look around and you'll find plenty of young people interested in STEM in this country. They're mostly from the far east though if local math competitions are any indication.

Old 07-21-2019, 04:09 PM

2,448 posts, read 894,251 times
In defense of the kids, they probably realize that if sent to the moon, their helicopter parents would in all likelihood have to come along. Perhaps "tractor beam parents" would be the appropriate term here?

Old 07-21-2019, 06:08 PM

10,470 posts, read 4,042,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Comparing today to 60 years ago is rather illogical.

We had a real and well-respected president then. He inspired people. Now we have a demented bigot who scares and worries people.

The inspiration of a positive intelligent person in charge encouraged people to achieve higher goals and "ask what they could do for their country." Makes perfect sense. And nobody is clamoring for a laughable Space Force--but that is what is being promoted.
He was the last good President we had. The rest, including Lyndon B Johnson, were corporate puppets pushing agendas that helped the rich get richer at the expense of the citizens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies