Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 10:56 PM

513 posts, read 580,957 times

Advertisements

I mean they keep insisting we have to eliminate private automobile ownership to "get off of our addiction to oil" and basically go back to the 1900s where people lived packed in small tenements and moved around through public transit and locomotives. Now I'm no expert, but I know that we have tons of oil underneath the Earth's surface, be it here or in the Middle East. I won't go so far as to say it's unlimited, but we're not going to run out of oil tomorrow if we don't "go green". We have enough to sustain us for decades, if not centuries, and we're not even drilling at full capacity.

Now when it comes to money, on the other hand, liberals act as if the supply of money is endless. Their formula is basically as follows.
  1. Spend, baby spend!
  2. Tax, baby tax!
  3. Borrow, baby borrow.
  4. Rinse and repeat.
Don't you see the inconsistencies between these two liberal philosophies? If oil is a limited commodity, then by the same logic isn't money also limited? Where do they intend to get all of this money they love to spend so much? Putting the moral and social implications aside, even if liberals seized all of the assets of those "rich people" who they deem to be unworthy of their property, it still wouldn't be enough to pay down all of the debt liberals have accrued over the years. Furthermore, the higher they tax the productive segment of society, the less tax revenue they take in. The only solution is for liberals to kick their addiction to spending other people's money, it's the only way this country and the states ever have any chance of getting out of debt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2011, 11:18 PM

1,168 posts, read 1,244,629 times
Money is green.

Old 03-09-2011, 11:51 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirchBarlow View Post
I mean they keep insisting we have to eliminate private automobile ownership to "get off of our addiction to oil" and basically go back to the 1900s where people lived packed in small tenements and moved around through public transit and locomotives. Now I'm no expert, but I know that we have tons of oil underneath the Earth's surface, be it here or in the Middle East. I won't go so far as to say it's unlimited, but we're not going to run out of oil tomorrow if we don't "go green". We have enough to sustain us for decades, if not centuries, and we're not even drilling at full capacity.

Now when it comes to money, on the other hand, liberals act as if the supply of money is endless. Their formula is basically as follows.
  1. Spend, baby spend!
  2. Tax, baby tax!
  3. Borrow, baby borrow.
  4. Rinse and repeat.
Don't you see the inconsistencies between these two liberal philosophies? If oil is a limited commodity, then by the same logic isn't money also limited? Where do they intend to get all of this money they love to spend so much? Putting the moral and social implications aside, even if liberals seized all of the assets of those "rich people" who they deem to be unworthy of their property, it still wouldn't be enough to pay down all of the debt liberals have accrued over the years. Furthermore, the higher they tax the productive segment of society, the less tax revenue they take in. The only solution is for liberals to kick their addiction to spending other people's money, it's the only way this country and the states ever have any chance of getting out of debt.
They know that with the present administration in charge they can print as much money as they need. They really don't understand how that damages the economy. When they take a grocery sack of money to the story to buy a few necessities they will see that they were wrong all along.

Old 03-09-2011, 11:55 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,525,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
They know that with the present administration in charge they can print as much money as they need. They really don't understand how that damages the economy. When they take a grocery sack of money to the story to buy a few necessities they will see that they were wrong all along.
I never knew "liberals" had their own monetary printing presses????? Since this must be the only administration that printed money. I guess the eight years of the Bush Administration stopped printing money and they just used "old money".

Oil and ALL resources are limited! Unless they are 100% recycled which one cannot do with oil.

Old 07-25-2019, 09:24 PM

948 posts, read 921,285 times
It's not the "liberals" who think that money is unlimited. It's the "neoliberals" who do.

Neoliberals are different from liberals. The terms are similar, but very different. (FWIW, neoliberals can be liberals or conservatives, but they're all plutocrats.)

Liberalism is about individual freedoms for the citizens. Libertarians are liberals. The founding fathers were liberals.

Neoliberalism is about economic and financial freedoms (which usually benefit the wealthy). Neoliberals remove laws that protect consumers, workers, and small businesses from the wealthy and powerful corporations.

Old 07-25-2019, 09:40 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,495,840 times
Money is mere paper and ink or digital numbers and its value exists only in the minds of those who use it. Oil is a finite resource, money is limited only to what people are willing to accept as money (and in fact, for most of the time humans existed, there was no money).

Old 07-25-2019, 10:08 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,937,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirchBarlow View Post

1. Spend, baby spend!
  2. Tax, baby tax!
  3. Borrow, baby borrow.
  4. Rinse and repeat.
Why do conservatives keep insisting that they will only get their information from Trump TV? No one is claiming that oil is running out now that we have discovered how to wring out every last drop from beneath the battered surface of our planet with the latest fracking techniques. The problem is all the carbon that will be released into the atmosphere if we continue on as we are now. Hello?

Also, I'd be much more impressed with your rant on fiscal responsibility if the KGOP hadn't pushed through their tax cuts for the upper 1% and the big multinational corporations, forcing all of us to subsidize the ongoing parties at Exxon Oil and Goldman Sachs. If you're not a member of the top 1% then why on earth do you vote like one? The republican party couldn't care less about fiscal responsibility these days, and they are absolutely thrilled to give tax breaks for millionaires on the backs of the working and middle class.

You seem to have entered this conversation about 10 years behind the times, but that's what you get for ODing on Hannity and tRump's increasingly crazy tweets.

Old 07-26-2019, 05:52 PM

15,293 posts, read 17,684,015 times
You really need to expand your vocabulary. It's the oligarchs who are printing the money, so they can buy assets. This drives up the cost of the assets, so they have to print more money to afford it. Stocks have gone up 2000% because of that. It's a stretch to call the oligarchs "liberals." They aren't conservatives either. The are oligarchs. Learn a new word. Oligarch.

The ones who want to end fossil fuel use are called scientists. We are poisoning the Earth, and have to stop. They are not liberals or conservatives, they are realists. Learn a new word. Realist.

Old 07-26-2019, 05:53 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,222,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EuroTrashed View Post
Money is green.
And oil is not running out.

Old 07-26-2019, 06:08 PM

3,346 posts, read 1,268,641 times
As man-made climate change continues to get worse and creates an unlivable planet....all the money in the world is not going to save us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies