Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2019, 10:19 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,927,604 times

Advertisements

I do not think it is an imminent danger but I do think how we live on this planet is having some dire impacts on our environment.

This summer one of the beaches in my community has been strewn with plastic pellets. All those dramatic photos of plastic piles floating is starting to hit us HERE in the USA.

We can change how we do things. Look how far we have come with fuel efficiency, emissions, etc.

I hate that it has become a left vs. right issue.

I don't understand why we can't work towards looking after this planet.

I would rather spend money on that instead of trying to figure out how to live on Mars.

Old 07-21-2019, 10:27 AM

3,346 posts, read 1,263,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
I do not think it is an imminent danger but I do think how we live on this planet is having some dire impacts on our environment.

This summer one of the beaches in my community has been strewn with plastic pellets. All those dramatic photos of plastic piles floating is starting to hit us HERE in the USA.

We can change how we do things. Look how far we have come with fuel efficiency, emissions, etc.

I hate that it has become a left vs. right issue.

I don't understand why we can't work towards looking after this planet.

I would rather spend money on that instead of trying to figure out how to live on Mars.
Right vs. Left is an illusion making it seem like it is a political issue, when in reality it is a scientific issue. Can we imagine if we made theory of Gravity or the theory of Relativity into Right vs. Left? That's exactly whats happening to the study of man-made climate change, mostly by the Republican party....which is literally the only political group in the world who denies man-made climate change. Which is really strange when you think about it....and makes you wonder why that is. Why Conservatives in other countries accept the reality of this issue, but not Conservatives in the U.S. Is it because they represent fundamentalist Christians, or because they represent big oil and coal....or because it it's in direct conflict with their strong belief in the free-market solving all our problems? In the end though, it's really all about the science....which doesn't care what political stripe you follow...it just is what it is, like gravity and the speed of light.

Old 07-21-2019, 10:33 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,064,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli34 View Post
Right vs. Left is an illusion making it seem like it is a political issue, when in reality it is a scientific issue. Can we imagine if we made theory of Gravity or the theory of Relativity into Right vs. Left? That's exactly whats happening to the study of man-made climate change, mostly by the Republican party....which is literally the only political group in the world who denies man-made climate change. Which is really strange when you think about it....and makes you wonder why that is. Why Conservatives in other countries accept the reality of this issue, but not Conservatives in the U.S. Is it because they represent fundamentalist Christians, or because they represent big oil and coal....or because it it's in direct conflict with their strong belief in the free-market solving all our problems? In the end though, it's really all about the science....which doesn't care what political stripe you follow...it just is what it is, like gravity and the speed of light.
Because the Left is lying about it, or at least being very misleading about the situation.

Old 07-21-2019, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
Because the Left is lying about it, or at least being very misleading about the situation.
Like I said, listen to the scientists and experts. Who cares what the Left is saying about it. Based on the scientific evidence, you need to make up your own mind. Ignore the politics.

I always say that based on the science, Republicans and other Conservatives need to come up with their own solutions to address this serious issue. Sticking their heads in the sand and pretending it's not a problems let's the Left take control of the issue and put forth their own solutions.

Old 07-21-2019, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli34 View Post
Like I said, listen to the scientists and experts. Who cares what the Left is saying about it. Based on the scientific evidence, you need to make up your own mind. Ignore the politics.
I did. Even if America eliminated all it's emissions, it wouldn't have an effect.

More importantly, not one person posting on this forum will be here in a hundred years.

Therefore, IDGA-.

Old 07-21-2019, 10:47 AM

5,671 posts, read 4,338,888 times
Quote:
I did. Even if America eliminated all it's emissions, it wouldn't have an effect.

More importantly, not one person posting on this forum will be here in a hundred years.

Therefore, IDGA-.
That's absurd. America reducing its carbon emissions would have more of an effect than the vast majority of the planet doing it, per person, and it would be easier, and it would be more motivational for the rest of the planet.

Old 07-21-2019, 10:47 AM

6,326 posts, read 6,566,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
When democrat climate alarmists start actually walking the talk, I’ll start taking it more seriously.
Barbra Streisand, a climate alarmist and activist, just flew her three dogs on a SEPARATE private jet over 10,000 Miles so they could hear her concert.
Al Gore has the carbon footprint of Godzilla.
Oprah,another climate activist, has at least six mega mansions wasting huge amounts of resources.
How many liberal celebrities, and politicians drive around in stretch limos,
Have private planes, multiple huge mansions, conspicuous consumption etc etc etc
Green capitalism is still capitalism i.e. inequality. I do not see why you see those people as hypocrites. Much maligned by the right figure of Al Gore has not offered any radical ideas aside switching light bulbs in bathrooms. The right ties its panties in a buch when it hears the words "climate change" because it threatens a mental carrot of climbing up the parasitic ladder, Al Gore climbed, all the rightwingers cherish deep inside. Thus absurd irrationality.

Old 07-21-2019, 10:48 AM

Quote:

Therefore, IDGA-.
But our grandchildren and their children will be here 100 years from now....

Old 07-21-2019, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
That's absurd. America reducing its carbon emissions would have more of an effect than the vast majority of the planet doing it, per person, and it would be easier, and it would be more motivational for the rest of the planet.
You can't prove that. Not as long as the open sewers of India and China (a most half the planet) are running roughshod.

Old 07-21-2019, 10:53 AM

5,671 posts, read 4,338,888 times
Quote:
You can't prove that. Not as long as the open sewers of India and China (a most half the planet) are running roughshod.
I already did.

//www.city-data.com/forum/55725876-post99.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.