Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2019, 08:15 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,585,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSHL10 View Post
I would love to see a strong independent candidate emerge. Bloomberg comes to mind, but he probably doesn't need the headache associated with being running for or being President.
I think he backed down from running because there wasn't support there for him.

I think a third party candidate doesn't have a real chance of getting elected, anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2019, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Vote Libertarian. Enough votes can open the door to a third party.
Too bad that not enough take that leap.
Libertarian is the opposite of moderate, IMO. It's an extremist position, on the Republican side. I'm a moderate, on the liberal side. Middle class. I think of Libertarians as representing the interests of the moneyed class.

In ideology, I think there are some centrists (halfway between liberal and conservative), then there are some left of center all the way to the midpoint on the left side (I fall into that group....moderate, but liberal). Then there are some right of center all the way to the midpoint on the right side (moderate, but conservative - these are probably where many establishment Republicans fall). Then each side has a far group...on the left, and the other on the right. These are the extremists and, it seems to me, what we have today. At least, those are the policies I see being passed and pushed. There are still moderates, but that's not who is calling the shots.

Last edited by bpollen; 07-17-2019 at 08:27 PM..

Old 07-17-2019, 08:20 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 23 days ago)

29,552 posts, read 16,542,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Your attempt to say that though is nothing more than saying that "you hate white people and would like to make it legal to murder and then cannibalize them." in sugar coated language.
Mathguy, you sometimes have genuinely honest conversations.

Do you honestly not understand what im talking about. I get it that not every person who has ever used that phrase had a problem with minorities, but it still is an odd argument that doesnt make much sense when discussing politics.

As I said in my second Post, when Van Jones pressed the father, he made it about sexuality, and race. Why is it some white people think Democrats cant multitask... and on the opposite end, are they saying they believe Republicans can multitask, or are they saying they dont want Republicans to multitask and just worry about white people.

Again, this is based on multiple comments from people like the man being interviews by Van Jones, his family, and the people who claims he talks to daily who feel just like him.

Assuming he is telling the truth, that means there are about 600,000 voters(give or take) who switched parties because they believe Democrats "only care about gay/black/brown people".

So why mock my post instead of responding to the content ?

Here is the video. Conversation about Democrats not supporting "working class people" starts at 5:30

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXjw4e_f4JA

Last edited by dsjj251; 07-17-2019 at 08:28 PM..

Old 07-17-2019, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Think more Independents and Third Party Candidates need to win at the Local, State, and Federal level.

On the other side political campaign financing reform needs to occur. Federal Congress/POTUS primaries should be open to everyone. Campaign financing for Federal elections should not be funded by tax dollars or the Government. POTUS elections should be decided by RCV.
An independent or third party candidate may actually be a semi-Democrat or semi-Republican. "Independent" just means they don't affiliate w/one of the two major parties. It doesn't have to do with ideology. Third party candidates can be extremists. I'm moderate...on the liberal side.

Old 07-17-2019, 08:21 PM

3,594 posts, read 1,793,885 times
The Republican Party. I mean how different are Bill Clinton, JFK and Donald Trump philosophically? Not very different in the grand scheme of things. The modern left has gone completely off the deep end. They hate our country, traditions, system of government, white people, free enterprise, borders, christians, farmers, families, law enforcement, small business owners, the military with an unbridled passion.

Old 07-17-2019, 08:23 PM

6,116 posts, read 4,608,458 times
It seems to come out more online than it does in real life.

I think this subforum (Politics & Other Controversies) is over-represented by people with extremist views, perhaps those commonly known as "left wing" and "right wing", though from what I've seen there are more right wing posts here.

So what happens is that someone who can have a brilliant point that is more moderate or maybe even a practical and apolitical idea for dealing with an issue that has become inappropriately politicized, and it gets lost in the fray of hundreds of what becomes cliched one-liners from the more extreme viewpoints.

Old 07-17-2019, 08:40 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,241,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Vote Libertarian. Enough votes can open the door to a third party.
Too bad that not enough take that leap.
I have at times thought about voting for the Green Party but haven't because I know it's a wasted vote...same for those with Libertarian views. Why vote for someone you absolutely know has NO CHANCE to win.

Old 07-17-2019, 08:58 PM

8,804 posts, read 10,244,782 times
Yes, but you're not going to find them on social media/internet forums.

Well, you will, but they will be drowned out by the hard left/right crowd battling it out over the latest anti-Trump hashtag.

Old 07-18-2019, 03:27 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,699,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
I have at times thought about voting for the Green Party but haven't because I know it's a wasted vote...same for those with Libertarian views. Why vote for someone you absolutely know has NO CHANCE to win.
I hope I can provide an answer to this. When I voted I don't vote for a Party or the most popular politician at the polls. I vote for the politician that has political ideas and views that I align with.

Old 07-18-2019, 03:32 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times
I am starting to think the answer to the question of is there a place for the moderate is I hope not.

I considered myself a moderate for my entire adult life until recently. I feel pushed to a harder stance by the religious and the just-plain-ignorant right who loves the good sounding sound bite that appeals to their sense of superiority. The notion of religious and personal freedom is not real to them except THEIR personal and religious freedom. Their freedom to have their views foisted on others. Oh and the fact that conservative population keeps electing power hungry *******s that trashing the economy every time they are in office.

It is time to toss the moderates into the collateral damage heap of history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies