Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2019, 06:53 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
The left isn't a bunch of war mongers, they just elect the the war mongers to the White House. You know, the one person who controls troop movements and can bring the troops home at any time. Yet that elected democrat does the opposite.
We could have stopped Syria if we had wanted to and the last (D) candidate was a major war monger .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2019, 06:56 PM

2,842 posts, read 2,328,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
You can't pin that on Rand.
He voted for the tax cut. So, yeah... you can.

Old 07-17-2019, 07:10 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
Quote:
I support paying for everything I support.
By stealing the peoples money and having a big centralized government with their one size fits all bloated spending. Which can't be held accountable like local government can.

Quote:
Your plan is to renege on our obligations.
Never once has that been my plan or any candidate I support. And you have no proof. None. You won't even try to present proof either.

Old 07-17-2019, 07:14 PM

Quote:
We could have stopped Syria if we had wanted to
???? Where in the Constitution does it give America the authority to stop Syria? A country that hasn't attacked us.

Quote:
and the last (D) candidate was a major war monger .
And the one before that.

I have a great idea, lets take care of the first responders and then do the exact same thing that caused the 9/11 attack. Nation building is Job 1!

Old 07-17-2019, 07:40 PM

7,934 posts, read 8,591,973 times
He's not the principled guy his father was/is. Much more like the rest of the hotdog eating Slimers that hang around DC.

Old 07-18-2019, 02:56 PM

Default Rand Paul isn't blocking anything

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanAdventurer View Post
He's not the principled guy his father was/is. Much more like the rest of the hotdog eating Slimers that hang around DC.
He is doing the exact same thing his father would do. Keep his word. Hold people accountable when they want to increase spending. He wants the Senate to consider offsetting spending cuts before approving limitless, automatic spending for the rest of the century.

"Any new spending that we are approaching, any new program that's going to have the longevity of 70, 80 years, should be offset by cutting spending that's less valuable," said Paul on the Senate floor. "We need to at the very least have this debate. I will be offering up an amendment if this bill should come to the floor, but until then I will object.""

Rep Amash tweeted
One of the main reasons government is not accountable is that politicians and media oversimplify discussions about legislation. A good example is the 9/11 VCF bill. Everyone agrees government should help compensate victims of the attack, but implementing details are ignored.

Our Constitution empowers Congress to appropriate money. Typically, this means we must vote annually to spend on a particular object. This process holds government accountable to the people. The 9/11 VCF works differently by authorizing 70+ years of unlimited, automatic spending.

Old 07-18-2019, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Fine. But not on the backs of the 9/11 responders. Rand Paul is a total jerk for this.
The only jerks are those who believe what they hear without looking for the truth.

Paul does not oppose healthcare for first responders, and he has not permanently prevented funding from being authorized. All he has done is delay the bill, so they can have a vote on an amendment to offset the additional spending with cuts elsewhere. This is in complete accordance with Paul’s decades long record as a fiscal hawk and responsible steward of taxpayer money.

Outraged reactionaries need to take a deep breath: The funding for 9/11 responders will still be authorized. All that will happen now is that, rather than passing by a voice vote with unanimous consent as was attempted on Wednesday, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell will have to bring the already-passed House bill up for a vote, including a vote on Paul’s amendment to offset spending, after which it will almost certainly become law.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/o...-11-responders

Amash is right - One of the main reasons government is not accountable is that politicians and media oversimplify discussions about legislation. A good example is the 9/11 VCF bill. Everyone agrees government should help compensate victims of the attack, but implementing details are ignored.

Last edited by Loveshiscountry; 07-18-2019 at 03:16 PM..

Old 07-18-2019, 03:19 PM

20,109 posts, read 9,018,880 times
these Dems are just looking for a sound byte to misinterpret and whine about. All too familiar, pay them no mind.

The idea of saving money is a foreign one to many in this country.

Old 07-18-2019, 03:32 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,898,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
these Dems are just looking for a sound byte to misinterpret and whine about. All too familiar, pay them no mind.

The idea of saving money is a foreign one to many in this country.

So it is, likely including Rand Paul and his buddy Donald Trump, who had no problem at all with spending yet another million or so of our tax dollars on yet another golf jaunt just last weekend.

Wonder what Trump had to say to Paul about funding for the 9/11 first responders while rolling around on the (overburdened) golf cart?

I, along with many of my fellow Kentuckians, immediately called Paul's D.C. office to object to his vote as soon as I learned of it. I had to leave a message, as no one was in to answer the phone, but at least, unlike that of my fellow un-representative Mitch McConnell, Paul's voice mailbox was receiving messages. No idea if he actually listens to them, of course.

Old 07-18-2019, 03:43 PM

78,417 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Fine. But not on the backs of the 9/11 responders. Rand Paul is a total jerk for this.
What exactly is he proposing that you oppose?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies