Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2019, 09:09 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,713,540 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakformonday View Post
I've always said that 'othering' can end in genocide and we do NOT want to repeat historical atrocities but it could happen here if this is not stopped.
Othering, eh? Isn't that what identity politics is all about?

Old 07-18-2019, 09:16 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,713,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
She is not a host in her own country, she is a naturalized American citizen. A legal citizen who came here as a child.
... and should be thanking her lucky stars. Given her recent behavior, and what we now know about her family, it would have been wiser never to have let them in. There's a whole world full of people who want to immigrate. America should be far more selective in who it choses for that privilege.

Old 07-18-2019, 09:18 PM

12,945 posts, read 9,572,199 times
Race relations and racial tension is running high in this country right now, and Trump is leading the way. Things never was this bad under Obama or Bush. He have done nothing to even try to unite people, but instead have been the great divider. And the things he have said these last few days, just continue to drive a wedge between people.

Old 07-18-2019, 09:22 PM

5,913 posts, read 3,166,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Othering, eh? Isn't that what identity politics is all about?
Yes, good point. The Republican party has used race-based politics to target white voters for decades. Except Trump is not subtle about it. He lays it all out in the open. In this case, he is telling four minority women to go back to where they came from... There is no room for interpretation. You may not see it but that would mean looking inward and admitting some ugly things about oneself.

Old 07-18-2019, 09:23 PM

5,885 posts, read 3,867,620 times
Quote:
Race relations and racial tension is running high in this country right now, and Trump is leading the way. Things never was this bad under Obama or Bush. He have done nothing to even try to unite people, but instead have been the great divider. And the things he have said these last few days, just continue to drive a wedge between people.
I don’t believe all Trump supporters or all Republicans are racist. What I find interesting is that whatever small percentage they maybe, they get the lion’s share of attention from their party. The modern conservative movement, that included Barry Goldwater and Ronald Regan, traces its origins to the William Buckley’s break with the John Birch Society. Yet over the last decade, since President Obama’s election, we have seen the Republican party drift back to a xenophobic conservatism. It does appear that the racist/xenophobic faction is in the drivers seat of the party.

Old 07-18-2019, 09:37 PM

18,324 posts, read 18,928,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
I don’t believe all Trump supporters or all Republicans are racist. What I find interesting is that whatever small percentage they maybe, they get the lion’s share of attention from their party. The modern conservative movement, that included Barry Goldwater and Ronald Regan, traces its origins to the William Buckley’s break with the John Birch Society. Yet over the last decade, since President Obama’s election, we have seen the Republican party drift back to a xenophobic conservatism. It does appear that the racist/xenophobic faction is in the drivers seat of the party.
They do themselves no good staying silent. It shows their approval if not for the outright racism but they can justify it because it’s a means to an end. That’s just as good as a racist or would the word bigot make em feel less bad ?

Old 07-18-2019, 09:40 PM

1,790 posts, read 2,043,027 times
What would happen if Obama said if you disagree, I'm gonna send you back. Republican heads would explode.

Melania doesn't agree with me? Send her back!

Not only do they have a Kenyan president, according to Donald, but he wants to send whites back to Europe because they disagree? Even though they're American?

Oh hell no.

For all the crying and whining Trump and Republicans said about America being a joke because of Obama "the Kenyan."

This is how they fix it?

It's an international disgrace.

But Republicans in the States are so insolated it's quite disturbing. It's very sad to see what's happened.

Good luck, my American friends.

I think they need to travel and open their eyes.

I know this forum is heavily Republican and aging.

Won't any Republican stand up?

Last edited by Stoke; 07-18-2019 at 09:53 PM..

Old 07-18-2019, 09:52 PM

17,922 posts, read 27,326,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieB.Good View Post
This is so sad how obliviously Trump supporters have exposed their souls to America.

It's no longer an argument that the GOP might tolerate racists, but they don't impact the platform or message. It's no longer an argument that the racists are a marginal slice of the GOP, not worth focusing on.

After watching a Trump rally, with attendees reiterating the racist attack from Trump, it's clear that the racism in the GOP is not a flaw, it's a feature.

Here is where we are: a minority person has a different view of what America should be doing than your traditional Trump-supporting Conservative. The response? "Shut up. YOU don't get a say in how WE run this country." Is that racist enough for you?

But what if you're a minority whose family has been in America for generations? "Shut up. YOU don't get a say in what it means to be AMERICAN. YOU are not one of US." Is that racist enough for you? How is that different than "we don't want your kind here?"

The message from Trump's base and by extension the GOP, by virtue of their silence, is minorities are only allowed in America by the good graces of White people. If minorities don't toe the line, they can GTFO, regardless of how long they've been here. Minorities don't get to tell White people how to run this country.

So at this point, is there any real counter argument against the claim that Trump's entire platform is based on not MAGA, but MAW(hite)A? Nooooope.
Waa! Who's your Pwesident?

Old 07-18-2019, 10:18 PM

29,900 posts, read 11,495,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Too early to say but I doubt it will be a far left candidate, I also doubt a Trump supporter doesn’t respond to polls.
I think its likely to be a far left candidate or a candidate that pivots far left to win the nomination. Good example is Biden trying to chug along like democrats in the past and getting blasted for it. Biden was getting heckled for not supporting a ban on deporting immigrants including those who commit serious crimes. And just like the GOP the most vocal ones are the ones on the fringe.

Most Trump supporters I am sure say so in polling. But if 5% do not, or people who are independent and secretly are going to vote for Trump and won't tell pollsters then the numbers could be off a bit. No one knows for sure. But I would imagine there are more of them then Trump voters lying and saying they will vote for Trump but do not intend to.

Old 07-19-2019, 01:51 AM

30,582 posts, read 21,757,031 times
Quote:
Sure dude, all you have to do is listen to all the crap that went down during the Obama administration that never was covered by the main stream media. The Racist shet was there but it was being driven by the Farrakhans, the Wrights, the Obamas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nun_C0jdgDA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGdgVK7qgg8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qQzDxPsWFE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies