Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 07:23 AM

13,053 posts, read 12,951,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
So, who exactly are you gonna shoot? All the people you are against are civilians and 99.9% of them unknown wheels in the machine...
Are you arguing with yourself? I don't remember making such a statement, or is this yet another straw man designed to attack the character rather than responsibly attend to the content?

Old 03-24-2010, 07:30 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Are you arguing with yourself? I don't remember making such a statement, or is this yet another straw man designed to attack the character rather than responsibly attend to the content?
I am addressing anyone in this thread in favor of an armed revolution. The question remains, who are you going to direct your arms at?

Old 03-24-2010, 08:19 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,698,072 times
Quote:
I am addressing anyone in this thread in favor of an armed revolution. The question remains, who are you going to direct your arms at?
Americans
The US Armed Forces
The Police

Old 03-24-2010, 08:28 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Americans
The US Armed Forces
The Police
The Armed Forces and the police are not to blame, they do what they are obliged to do by law. That is my very point, the ones responsible for the situation that you think is so terrible, are unknown to you. You might shoot a couple of innocent soldiers and policemen, but you won't change a thing.

Old 03-24-2010, 08:39 AM

Quote:
The Armed Forces and the police are not to blame, they do what they are obliged to do by law. That is my very point, the ones responsible for the situation that you think is so terrible, are unknown to you. You might shoot a couple of innocent soldiers and policemen, but you won't change a thing.
I'm not going to shoot anyone but the Traitors who want to overthrow the elected government. I think they need to stop wrapping themselves in the flag and put on their hoods and pointy hats

Old 03-24-2010, 09:31 AM

Quote:
I could only speculate how something would go about, but a serious action would not be people running through the streets shooting people. Likely, if something like this were to ever occur, it would be in the form of stages that elevate only as needed to assist in the preservation of the intent. The intent of a revolution of such nature would be to protect and uphold the constitution.

So, the first steps would be to apply such by using the tools of civil dispute. An example is the states filing suit against the government, another example would the be the states holding a constitutional convention to amend and clarify the powers of the government in concern to its vague use and interpretation to implement its powers currently.

if such attempts are thwarted using unconstitutional means and there are no avenues of civil discourse concerning such a direction, the result may then be of individual states or within like association a move to succession.

There could be many directions such actions could take in trying to peacefully detach from the violations made. For if the Constitution is ignored, then the states have no reason to stay united and the government has no authority to dictate terms.

The result is likely factions organizing a defense to which would encompass all levels of society and even including many within the government as there are many in all walks of our society who take the oath to protect the constitution seriously and do not pander to political bias to promote their cause. To some, this one area is off limits regardless to which party they may lean.

Regardless of the approach, my hopes would be that if this were ever to occur, that it would be done so strictly in a defensive fashion. By doing so, the oppressors are identified. So only those who insist on conformity to such a violation of oath are responsible for their own actions and no mistake can be made as to who the aggressor truly is.

By this, only those who insist on such would be at risk for it would be at this point that the people, in defense of their liberty, take action to stop the aggressors.

If that meant that you or I were to join such a cause of aggression, then we would be fully responsible for our actions. The same would be for those who would take up a defense.

Unless it were some unruly cause of chaos (which would likely lose its momentum due to lack of support regardless of side), it is unlikely that the result would be random conflicts of violence with indiscretion of the people, nor do I believe it would be targeted to the innocents who do not participate or hold opinions without action.

Due to the nature of our country, to the purpose it stands, and to the respect it declares to each individual, one could not honestly hold a position of defense of liberty if it were to through disregard violate such through indiscriminate or unjustified actions.

No, personally I think if this were ever to happen, people will know exactly where they stand and will have to actively take part be it the aggressor or the defender to place ones self in such a position to be of target by the other.

Old 03-24-2010, 09:37 AM

Quote:
An important point is that these people in service are sworn to an oath above all, to protect the constitution above all. There is no authority greater than the constitution and all additional duties come after such a requirement.

Those who ignore their oath can not claim to be innocent as it is their duty to protect the citizens from aggressors both foreign and domestic. While there may be some confusion in the beginning, I think it would be pretty clear as to their choice if it were to ever happen. At that point, the choice will have been made to be a defender or the aggressor.

Old 03-24-2010, 09:49 AM

Honestly though, this is all academic.

Is it important? Certainly, as our founders warned us that such conflict would be inevitable, that even though they tried to build a system that would safeguard against it, the responsibility was lain at the feet of its people. If they failed to be vigilant, than the system would eventually fall to corruption, they were certain of it.

I honestly hope to never see such happen. I would like to think that while we may have become lethargic in our responsibilities to protect the constitution, that we have let our self interest drive our indiscretion with its protections, that we can still recover from our neglect and return to its purpose if people are willing to debate and be honest.

While I hope for this I do not take it for granted either and realize that there is always such a possibility, that to think otherwise is to be spoiled in the protections we have lived under for so long.

I don't think anyone would want to fight their countrymen, regardless of justification, but these are the very trials to which our founders experienced. They knew the costs of such, but believed that it was worth the sacrifice and I hope we can all agree they were correct by our very freedoms to which we have enjoyed since the creation of this country.

Old 03-24-2010, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
An important point is that these people in service are sworn to an oath above all, to protect the constitution above all. There is no authority greater than the constitution and all additional duties come after such a requirement.

Those who ignore their oath can not claim to be innocent as it is their duty to protect the citizens from aggressors both foreign and domestic. While there may be some confusion in the beginning, I think it would be pretty clear as to their choice if it were to ever happen. At that point, the choice will have been made to be a defender or the aggressor.
I'm sure a lot of Military commanders will be holding votes to see who agrees with you before they take action when fired on.

Old 03-24-2010, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
I'm sure a lot of Military commanders will be holding votes to see who agrees with you before they take action when fired on.

Any point to this, or can you only make stupid antagonistic remarks?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies