Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2019, 09:27 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,251,551 times

Advertisements

Obama said the following:

(Don't have to like the source...the video doesn't lie)

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...r-asylum-claim

Old 07-18-2019, 09:58 PM

14,215 posts, read 4,583,933 times
Bill Clinton administration helped to pass hard line legislations on illegal immigration back in the 90s. Go look up YouTube videos of Clinton (or even Obama's) and his views on illegal immigration.

It's not that the modern post-2016 democrats are pro illegal immigrstion, but they are anti-Trump even if they know their behaviors/radical ideas of illegal immigration are bad for the country.

Old 07-18-2019, 10:10 PM

35,660 posts, read 21,025,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Informed Info View Post
Obama said the following:

(Don't have to like the source...the video doesn't lie)

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/n...r-asylum-claim
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy87 View Post
I think thats a BS argument. Nobody is stopping anyone from having more than themselves. There is no CEO plan to keep people poor. If anything the Govt is stopping people from being wealthy. Overhead is a killer in business due to so many things 1 being health care and the ACA made it worse. You pay your people for their value. Some jobs the human really has no value and is interchangeable but thats their fault for not learning a skill.

I thought when I made over $300k id be set....when you see the tax bill you wonder was it all worth it?
I understand where you are and it’s a nice place - but not the 1%that rule. They have been holding the strings long before America existed. It’s the human Culture. But because you are in a sweet spot, you do not feel it as much. I commend you for reaching your success - but you know very well the majority is not there. In Panama, there’s good money from the canal, but min wage is $4 - El Sal about $30 a month is good take home, and less in sister countries. With the lack, violence and corruption people become desperate. The Latin Americans would come, work and return with happy faces. The immigration laws changed and started charging employers a fee and responsibility for the seasonal workers . That became problem #1, now what was a simple thing, became very complicated as employers did not want to pay. #2-Our 9-11 happened, now nobody was getting in. Takes up to 10 years for a green card, be dead by then. And last ~#3 our drug consumption. Combination = one big fat mess. Most illegals are just simple families caught in the web trying to have a quiet decent life. But all the fanfare over a wall , talk if arresting millions, etc is not fixing a dam thing ! They are wasted so much money right now on things that do not work. It’s insane ! We need experts to brainstorm
- and come up with a plan. What’s going on right now is ridiculous and with out order. Not pro open borders but pro common - non political - sensible ways to address the issues .

Old 07-18-2019, 11:19 PM

17,295 posts, read 12,225,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Oh, calm down Our economy will not "crumble for a generation". Illegals have displaced Americans in many jobs. Greedy, sleazy employers love hiring cheap, exploitable, illegal labor. They get to pay them less and get away with putting them in unsafe working conditions.

When ICE would raid factories, Americans would line up to take those vacated jobs. In the case of Howard Industries in MS, some Americans drove as much as 40 miles for a chance to get a job.

Any business that caters to illegals or hires them is a diseased business that needs to die. If they don't want to die, they will have to hire Americans and legal immigrants plus pay them a living wage and provide benefits.

There are many in the construction industries who lost their livelihoods because they couldn't compete with sleazy contractors who hire illegals and pay them under the table. With illegals gone, these honest contractors will once again be able to compete on a fair playing level.
Mass deportation would cost upwards of $1 trillion.

We're already pretty much at full employment, we don't have a spare 11 million people to just slide into those vacated jobs, houses, apartments, consumer demand, etc. Huge hit to GDP. Instant inflation. Our economy is addicted.

Old 07-18-2019, 11:57 PM

22,443 posts, read 11,969,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Mass deportation would cost upwards of $1 trillion.

We're already pretty much at full employment, we don't have a spare 11 million people to just slide into those vacated jobs, houses, apartments, consumer demand, etc. Huge hit to GDP. Instant inflation. Our economy is addicted.

First of all, no one is talking about a "mass deportation". Make life hard for illegals to survive here and many will leave on their own accord---especially when they realize that we are getting serious about doing something about illegal immigration.

Second, for years we've been told that there are 11 million illegals here. Even those of us who are math challenged realize that every single day people sneak across the border or overstay visas. In light of that, it's very clear that there are more than 11 million of them. In fact, some estimates the number to be as high as 30 million.

Third, not all of those millions of illegals are in the workforce. Many of them are minors thus not working. Others are too old to work. Others are out committing crimes instead of working.

Fourth, with gradual deportation, Americans will fill those vacated jobs and the companies that hire Americans and legal immigrants will be forced to pay them more and give decent benefits and safe working environments. Did you miss the part where I said that when ICE would raid factories and plants Americans would be lining up to take those jobs once the illegals were gone?

Fifth, "those vacated houses"? Most illegals live in overcrowded flophouses so there may not be as many vacant homes as you would imagine. I'm sure that there are flippers out there who will buy these run-down homes and rehab them. Heck, even Habitat for Humanity will buy some which will help those who have had trouble finding a way to own their own home. Some homes will be in such bad shape that they will need to be torn down.

Sixth, do you even realize just how much illegals cost us on an annual basis? Read for yourself:

https://www.irli.org/single-post/201...SAAEgLqxvD_BwE

Illegals are parasites who take far, far more than they give. They have no business being here and need to leave.

Old 07-19-2019, 12:16 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,045,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
Bill Clinton administration helped to pass hard line legislations on illegal immigration back in the 90s. Go look up YouTube videos of Clinton (or even Obama's) and his views on illegal immigration.

It's not that the modern post-2016 democrats are pro illegal immigrstion, but they are anti-Trump even if they know their behaviors/radical ideas of illegal immigration are bad for the country.
The harsh truth!

Excellent posting!

Even Pelosi claimed to be against illegal aliens entering the United States - - - until Trump won the election. then she did an immediate 180.

Old 07-19-2019, 05:04 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,180,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Not "punishing" those "who have made it in retroactively" is just rewarding criminal behavior.
Do a little study on how punishment works as a deterrent. I am not God or anyone's parent. Punishment is not my job. Of course the Christian God said punishment was not our job but his. Lots of Christians forget that. Flip side is rewarding or not rewarding is also not my job. I'd think differently if punishing these people had some kind of benefit within an immigration reform package. But I have yet to see it.

Quote:
What does their being "non-European" have to do with anything?
White people who over stay their visas or whatever simply are not targeted. They just slip through.

Quote:
Do we reward criminals who have been on the lam just because they managed to elude capture for a long time? Why do you hold double standards?

Rewarding illegal aliens is a slap in the face to those who obeyed our immigration laws and patiently awaited their turn to come here.
I won't lie. If someone feels slapped in the face over the good fortune of another, they could use a day or two at a Buddhist retreat to learn about peace. But if that is the worst of their problems, I think they are doing ok.

Old 07-19-2019, 05:05 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,180,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post

Has Trump proposed meaningful and good immigration reform that I somehow missed?

Old 07-19-2019, 06:50 AM

62,859 posts, read 29,098,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Do a little study on how punishment works as a deterrent. I am not God or anyone's parent. Punishment is not my job. Of course the Christian God said punishment was not our job but his. Lots of Christians forget that. Flip side is rewarding or not rewarding is also not my job. I'd think differently if punishing these people had some kind of benefit within an immigration reform package. But I have yet to see it.

White people who over stay their visas or whatever simply are not targeted. They just slip through.

I won't lie. If someone feels slapped in the face over the good fortune of another, they could use a day or two at a Buddhist retreat to learn about peace. But if that is the worst of their problems, I think they are doing ok.
lol! Are you unaware that most visa over stayers are from south of our border? I'd hardly call them plain ole white. Many visa over stayers are Asians also. Get your facts straight. We have laws and we have every right to enforce them. There are always consequences for breaking them otherwise we would have chaos in our country. Has nothing to do with religion or God.

Old 07-19-2019, 06:52 AM

62,859 posts, read 29,098,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Has Trump proposed meaningful and good immigration reform that I somehow missed?
Reform is just the code word for amnesty with liberals so why should he propose that? He just this week has proposed a new asylum bill though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.