Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2019, 10:20 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times

Advertisements

The $15 minimum wage will save the government a ton of money. Few people will qualify for food stamps and other government assistance anymore. The poor will be even poorer when they have to buy their own food and other items/services they will no longer qualify for, but the government will make out like bandits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2019, 10:22 AM

43,054 posts, read 18,223,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
The $15 minimum wage will save the government a ton of money. Few people will qualify for food stamps and other government assistance anymore. The poor will be even poorer when they have to buy their own food and other items/services they will no longer qualify for, but the government will make out like bandits.
Nah..they can just cut their hours so they still qualify for welfare benefits.
$15/hour won't cover the worth of losing all those benefits.

Old 07-19-2019, 10:27 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,471,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Nah..they can just cut their hours so they still qualify for welfare benefits.
$15/hour won't cover the worth of losing all those benefits.

yep

I was doing some work outside on my yard, a guy came up and asked if I needed help (for pay)...I had just gotten back from lowes, walmart and wendy's..ALL HAD HELP WANTED SIGNS UP...I OFFERED to take him up to the places to apply for the jobs...he said "no, if he gets a job they will take my government check away"

but he was sure eager to work off the books and steal from the government

Old 07-19-2019, 10:36 AM

10,513 posts, read 5,161,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
It is possible this will bankrupt some businesses, but if they are THAT dependent on employees working for so little money, chances are, their businesses were not viable to begin with, and besides that, for the businesses that do shut down, there will be many more than open up to replace them, those that WILL be able to make it profitable with such a high MW.

This is exactly what is happening in my part of California. Some businesses were unable or unwilling to adapt and have closed down. But new businesses, restaurants, etc. are opening up and have made the new higher wages part of their business plans from day one. We've got new shopping centers, theme park, restaurants, brew pubs, high tech startups, etc. New jobs are offsetting whatever job losses there are.

The higher MW is not discouraging new business creation and the unemployment rate is 3.5%, so we've got full employment.

Old 07-19-2019, 10:41 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,621,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
$15 was the starting point, ultimately they will probably raise MW (since it hasnt been raised in such a long time), but realistically, it will be around $12. per hour.

The House plan would only quite gradually go up to $15, so $8.40 in 2019, $9.50 in 2020, $10.60 in 2021, $11.70 in 2022, $12.80 in 2023, $13.90 in 2024 and $15 in 2025.

Old 07-19-2019, 10:42 AM

2,189 posts, read 1,402,459 times
Late to post and read hardly any replies, but those wanting a $15 Minimum Wage can kiss away a ton of jobs. What good is the wage if you can't find the employment? The US is not stupid, they will find a way around it, like more automation for example. Either that or we are going to have to start paying for $10 Hamburgers. I've been getting sick of fast food anyway.

Old 07-19-2019, 10:42 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
No, the gov will just adjust the income of who qualifies for benefits, because the purchasing power of that $15 will erode quickly.

Old 07-19-2019, 10:45 AM

46,259 posts, read 27,074,383 times
For some reason, tariffs, come to mind...but some just cannot see relationship....

Old 07-19-2019, 10:47 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16 Acres View Post
Late to post and read hardly any replies, but those wanting a $15 Minimum Wage can kiss away a ton of jobs. What good is the wage if you can't find the employment? The US is not stupid, they will find a way around it, like more automation for example. Either that or we are going to have to start paying for $10 Hamburgers. I've been getting sick of fast food anyway.
You probably should read before posting.

Old 07-19-2019, 10:47 AM

9,267 posts, read 5,115,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
WASHINGTON (AP) — House Democrats approved legislation Thursday to raise the federal minimum wage for the first time in a decade, to $15 an hour, showcasing the progress and challenge of a signature issue for the party ahead of the 2020 election.

The increase, which would boost pay for some 30 million low-wage workers, is intended as one answer to income inequality. A longshot project of liberal advocates just a few years ago, the $15 minimum is standard practice at some leading U.S. corporations. But passage was assured only after centrist Democrats, reluctant to embrace the party's left flank, won adjustments, including a slower six-year phase-in of the wage. It was just the latest reminder of the sway moderates hold over the party's policy decisions.

Even though the bill's chances in the Republican-controlled Senate are slim, and President Donald Trump is unlikely to sign it into law, the outcome is important because it puts $15 into the campaigns as the new benchmark for debate.

https://wlos.com/news/nation-world/h...mum-wage-to-15

Be interesting to see how this one plays out for companies like Walmart, etc. I’m sure they will be backing Trump.
Then again Trump might be for it I’d be surprised if he wasn’t after all if he did run on the idea of helping the American workers make more money.
Never pass. Job killer. The end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies