Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2019, 03:04 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
You should be working on your list of more examples. 82 to go.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/susanad.../#70ca3a8567ec

https://www.forbes.com/pictures/5855.../#544d870c524d

https://www.forbes.com/sites/susanad.../#33cdfe1139ba

Do I really need to continue?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2019, 03:07 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,976,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
72 still isn't 83.

And to be honest, 83 is still quite generous of me to hold you to. According to BLS there are 195,000+ CEOs in the US. So even 1% would require ~2000 examples, which you know you cant come up with.

EDIT: You added more after I quoted this the first time. So yea you need to continue because even reading the first 8 on your first link, some arent even US based (we are talking about the US economy) and some were pushed out or resigned on their own.

AND your last link includes people either IN jail or on their way...you pretty much prove yourself wrong because in jail there is no paycheck.

You really have nothing here, sorry.

Old 07-19-2019, 03:12 PM

26,497 posts, read 15,070,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
The point is that it is silly to claim that a dollar in podunk Alabama is worth so much more than in Boston or DC. It all depends on whether you are buying a home or not. These "cost of living" calculators are meaningless for people who invest in a home.
So you repeatedly lie and BS to make the "point" that you don't think it matters that two comparable homes - one in San Francisco and the other in Grand Rapids, Michigan - will have a much different price tag in regards to cost of living?!?!

Fact is, housing is a part of the cost of living and also the vast majority of people who live inside NYC rent. The majority of people in Chicago rent. San Francisco, etc - most rent in high cost areas, meanwhile most people in Podunk Alabama own. So your point was ridiculous to begin with.

P.S. if you have to lie so much, your point is probably not valid!

Old 07-19-2019, 04:44 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,594,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
People get paid based on the value they add to the business. So if they are worth $5/hr due to their skills, thats what they would be paid.
I do agree that every employee is worth a different amount, too many places have the same starting wage for everyone, no matter whether you are in your early 20s or late 60s!!

Employees need to have some way to determine how much 'value' they are worth when they are working, (in real time preferably), it wouldnt be fair if a company expected you to give 110% and work your butt off, if you are only being paid MW.

Im a firm believer that employees should give the level of work output that coincides with their hourly wage, (you get what you pay for), goes both ways.

Old 07-19-2019, 05:00 PM

43,094 posts, read 18,259,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Covered once. In Sanders program $15 an hour starts years from now. He pays his campaign workers a salary of $36,000 a year. You do the math.
Bernie does pay his hourly workers $15/hour.

Here's a job opening to show it:

https://boards.greenhouse.io/bernie2020/jobs/4263816002

Those others crying are salaried workers. You get paid an annual salary for a 40 hour week.
That $36K/year comes out to $18.75 per hour.
And as everyone knows, salaried workers don't get paid for any overtime past 40 hours.

Old 07-19-2019, 05:09 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,563,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
His argument that it isnt a cost of living expense is literally asinine as his own party complains about high rent costs and high home prices afflicting big cities and squeezing the bottom and middle of Americans that live there.

If $15 miminum wage wont have a negative impact on working class people in low cost of living areas then why not raise NYC's minimum wage to $50 to account for higher cost of living?

In fact let's do $30 national minimum wage and $100 in NYC if it will be so good for the working class.
It doesn’t matter what he says.

He’s trying to justify his own evil notion that he shall dictate how others live.

Old 07-19-2019, 05:12 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,563,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
The point is that it is silly to claim that a dollar in podunk Alabama is worth so much more than in Boston or DC. It all depends on whether you are buying a home or not. These "cost of living" calculators are meaningless for people who invest in a home.
I am still waiting for you to justify why you get to dictate how others shall live.

Old 07-19-2019, 08:18 PM

11,143 posts, read 10,709,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I do agree that every employee is worth a different amount, too many places have the same starting wage for everyone, no matter whether you are in your early 20s or late 60s!!

Employees need to have some way to determine how much 'value' they are worth when they are working, (in real time preferably), it wouldnt be fair if a company expected you to give 110% and work your butt off, if you are only being paid MW.

Im a firm believer that employees should give the level of work output that coincides with their hourly wage, (you get what you pay for), goes both ways.
Who gets to decide what the value of the employees’ work is? Is it the employee? Because I can see a whole lot of issues there.

As a former small business owner and a retail manager, I can vouch that most entry level employees have a vastly inflated opinion of their own abilities and work ethic. I consistently run circles around people half my age when it comes to stocking, while keeping track of the myriad details involved in keeping an extremely busy adult beverage store ready for customers. The ones who manage to a) keep up with me while maintaining a pleasant attitude and b) start figuring out ways to make my job easier without me telling them to are the ones who get fast raises and more/better hours.

The ones who don’t but manage to do the minimum and show up on time are the ones who get mediocre annual raises.

The ones who don’t show up on time, call out, or can’t even manage to do the minimum (the majority) are the ones who get their hours cut or are just let go.

Hmmm, I guess we sort of agree. The pay does coincide with the effort, I just approach it from the other direction.

Old 07-19-2019, 09:26 PM

9,742 posts, read 4,494,478 times
I live in Florida. Many stores are manned by 65+. So the notion that a 15$ minimum will hurt the elderly is dubious at best,

Old 07-19-2019, 10:11 PM

34,053 posts, read 17,064,521 times
Several states are going to $15, mostly in increments taking a few years, which is perfect as it gives businesses a few years to automate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies