Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2019, 09:49 AM

43,094 posts, read 18,259,632 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
When the government runs out of other people’s money, would millions of people and I starve?
Venezuela anyone ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2019, 11:48 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
$15.00 minimum will put a lot of low income people out of a job. Businesses won't be hiring as many school kids and inexperienced people. They'll probably go to more automation.

Retirees on fixed incomes and SS that doesn't keep up with the inflation will be hurt the most.
Odd that we don't concern ourselves with retiree's when we cut interest rates and inflate the markets hurting them.

Hurting retiree's to inflate the wealth of the upper class, good.

Hurting retiree's to help the lowest class, bad.

I'm about to retire. I support a higher minimum wage. I had the opportunity to make enough to get by and support others being able to now also.

Old 07-20-2019, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Totally red herring argument.

In this era, unlike slavery, we will have tens of millions in surplus labor. We will soon see massive automation. Virtually all unskilled jobs are at risk. Any rote task -no jobs. 70% of the nation has no formal education past 12th grade.

That's the game changer.

PS: California in 2019 has a population more than 10% higher than the US when slavery was abolished.
I hope I get to see the howls of those who complain about people being able to afford to live while working when we pay them not to work.

Old 07-20-2019, 12:00 PM

15,089 posts, read 8,631,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
There will be a much bigger hit to restaurants and any other business that uses tipped workers.
Pay will go from $2.13 to $15.00 for all employees.

Does that mean no more tipping ?
No, it means a lot worse service, and a lot more unemployed, as jobs are eliminated, and an increase in the number of people in need of public assistance. There will be a cascading effect.

The whole problem with this $15/hr thing is that it will cause WAY MORE HARM to those it is supposed to help. This is typical of left wing thinking .... every single issue the left attempts to “fix”, ends up producing the exact opposite result. Who will be hurt most? Those making 7.25/hr. .... the ones this move is supposedly designed to help. But it will have a negative effect on everyone, including those already making $15+ as businesses that will be forced to eliminate jobs, suspend any plan to expand the workforce, or go belly up, which will hurt every wage group.

Supply and demand cannot be ignored, and artificial manipulation of it is inevitably harmful. This holds true whether you are dealing with products or people. Businesses are structured on profit and loss, and jobs are dependent on the profitability of the business that employ them. The unintended negative consequences of such a radical change is virtually guaranteed, and very predictable.

As an employer, you pay employees a certain wage, based on the necessity of the task, their ability and skill, and their value to the business’s overall success and profitability, along with the availability of workers willing to perform said task, at said rate of pay. When a business experiences difficulty in attracting enough workers to meet their needs, they raise pay to the level that will attract them. And vice versa. This is the only sound way to operate. If a lower level worker desires a higher income, then it is up to them to develop the skills needed to perform more valuable, and more in demand tasks. If you artificially raise the entry level floor sweeper pay from 7.25/hr to $15/hr., and the cashiers $10/hr to $15, then you’ll have to deal with the assistant manager’s $15/hr wage, because they’re not going to be very happy doing that more demanding job at the same pay as the floor sweeper and cashier! The cashier ain’t happy either, making the same as the person sweeping the floor. The most likely result is going to be an assistant manager who’ll have two more tasks to perform .... making change, and sweeping floors, and out of those three employees, two will be unemployed, and one working harder.

But you cannot get this basic fact of life through the thick skulls of liberals. Like taxes .... time and time again, the formula has been proven .... lowering taxes increases economic growth, while raising taxes, stifles growth. Yet, no matter how many times this has played out, liberals REFUSE to acknowledge that, and never cease to promote higher taxation.

Old 07-20-2019, 01:44 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,163,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I'm about to retire. I support a higher minimum wage.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacoder View Post
I live in Florida. Many stores are manned by 65+. So the notion that a 15$ minimum will hurt the elderly is dubious at best,
Uh-huh.

And all those workers in nursing homes and assisted-care facilities and long-term care facilities and rehabilitation facilities and home health aides will get big fat raises and drain Medicare in no time flat and pump up the cost of Medicaid.

In order to pay for Medicaid, States will have to raise taxes.

And private insurance rates will increase a huge chunk, too.

So, once this increase is enacted, you'll be paying more for health insurance, paying higher taxes at the State level if not through higher State income taxes then higher State sales taxes, and the federal government's deficit spending will balloon unless the federal government raises taxes and Medicare will run out of money about 5 years earlier than currently projected.

I'm sure you'll all be looking forward to that.

Old 07-20-2019, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Uh-huh.

And all those workers in nursing homes and assisted-care facilities and long-term care facilities and rehabilitation facilities and home health aides will get big fat raises and drain Medicare in no time flat and pump up the cost of Medicaid.

In order to pay for Medicaid, States will have to raise taxes.

And private insurance rates will increase a huge chunk, too.

So, once this increase is enacted, you'll be paying more for health insurance, paying higher taxes at the State level if not through higher State income taxes then higher State sales taxes, and the federal government's deficit spending will balloon unless the federal government raises taxes and Medicare will run out of money about 5 years earlier than currently projected.

I'm sure you'll all be looking forward to that.
If I have to pay higher taxes for all to be able to afford health care, I am OK with that. I disagree with the scare tactics, but all the same............

Old 07-20-2019, 01:49 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,380,774 times
I don't support the minimum wage hike because it will put too many people out of jobs altogether.

However, I don't think restaurants should be allowed to pay servers only $2.13 an hour. They should get at least minimum wage. Many restaurants complain they can't find people to work as servers. They should figure out why. It's because they pay nothing and then expect the server to share the tips they earn with everyone else in the restaurant.

Old 07-20-2019, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Uh-huh.

And all those workers in nursing homes and assisted-care facilities and long-term care facilities and rehabilitation facilities and home health aides will get big fat raises and drain Medicare in no time flat and pump up the cost of Medicaid..
If anyone deserves higher pay, it's people working in nursing homes cleaning the disease-infested diarrhea off of patients who weight 300, 400 or 500 pounds and risking their necks to move these people around. How are you going to force people to do this work if they don't want to anymore?

Don't worry about wage hikes for these people, though. You should be worried as many people don't want to work in nursing homes anyway and most of these facilities are desperate for CNAs. So you should worry that grandma winds up getting infested bed sores and laying in her own filth, because there aren't enough workers in the facility to care for her. Because $10 an hour doesn't cut it for this kind of gross work. Even people who immigrate from third world countries, they don't do this kind of work for very long. They move on to something else. In fact, most people won't work as CNAs even if it paid $15 an hour. (The only ones who do, do so as it's a stepping stone into nursing school or some other healthcare field).I worked as a CNA in a nursing home and they kept calling me, begging me to come back to work long after I quit.

My advice is, take care of your elderly loved ones yourself, if you don't support wage hikes for nursing home workers.

Last edited by PriscillaVanilla; 07-20-2019 at 02:06 PM..

Old 07-20-2019, 02:59 PM

43,094 posts, read 18,259,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I don't support the minimum wage hike because it will put too many people out of jobs altogether.

However, I don't think restaurants should be allowed to pay servers only $2.13 an hour. They should get at least minimum wage. Many restaurants complain they can't find people to work as servers. They should figure out why. It's because they pay nothing and then expect the server to share the tips they earn with everyone else in the restaurant.
That bill will give tipped workers $15/hour. That's a $13/hour raise for those people.
Think restaurants can handle that type of increase for each server ?

Old 07-20-2019, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
That bill will give tipped workers $15/hour. That's a $13/hour raise for those people.
Think restaurants can handle that type of increase for each server ?
What I would propose is to raise the $2.13 an hour to something higher. $2.13 an hour is nothing. $2.13 doesn't even buy a cup of coffee. Either that, or restaurants should stop forcing servers to share their tips with the chef, cooks, busboys and bartenders. A lot of servers can walk out with almost nothing. Or, if restaurants don't want to pay servers they can do the work themselves. The managers can bring food out to the tables.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies