Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2019, 03:36 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,563,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I don't support the minimum wage hike because it will put too many people out of jobs altogether.

However, I don't think restaurants should be allowed to pay servers only $2.13 an hour. They should get at least minimum wage. Many restaurants complain they can't find people to work as servers. They should figure out why. It's because they pay nothing and then expect the server to share the tips they earn with everyone else in the restaurant.
Why? Restaurants should be your slaves and do as you wish?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2019, 03:37 PM

Quote:
What I would propose is to raise the $2.13 an hour to something higher. $2.13 an hour is nothing. $2.13 doesn't even buy a cup of coffee. Either that, or restaurants should stop forcing servers to share their tips with the chef, cooks, busboys and bartenders. A lot of servers can walk out with almost nothing. Or, if restaurants don't want to pay servers they can do the work themselves. The managers can bring food out to the tables.
Why should anybody be forced to do one thing or another?

Don’t like sharing the tips, don’t work there.

What happened to freedom?

Old 07-20-2019, 03:40 PM

43,087 posts, read 18,259,632 times
Quote:
What I would propose is to raise the $2.13 an hour to something higher. $2.13 an hour is nothing. $2.13 doesn't even buy a cup of coffee. Either that, or restaurants should stop forcing servers to share their tips with the chef, cooks, busboys and bartenders. A lot of servers can walk out with almost nothing. Or, if restaurants don't want to pay servers they can do the work themselves. The managers can bring food out to the tables.
You don't have to propose anything. That bill gives those workers a $13/hour raise.
I did ask..do you think restaurants can handle a $13/hour increase per worker and not be impacted ?

You did not answer.

Old 07-20-2019, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
You don't have to propose anything. That bill gives those workers a $13/hour raise.
I did ask..do you think restaurants can handle a $13/hour increase per worker and not be impacted ?

You did not answer.
Who cares?

As long as the people are forced to do it, they are onboard.

Slavery is a great thing to them.

Old 07-20-2019, 05:22 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,380,774 times
Quote:
Restaurants already complain that they can't afford to pay $2.13 an hour to a worker, so I'm sure they would be impacted. But if you can only pay $2.13 an hour to an employee, maybe your business isn't going so well anyway.

Old 07-20-2019, 05:23 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,380,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Why? Restaurants should be your slaves and do as you wish?
It is the restaurants who want slave labor. They pay nothing to servers.

I don't work at a restaurant. I don't even dine in them that often, so if they go out of business I wouldn't really care.

Old 07-20-2019, 06:08 PM

43,087 posts, read 18,259,632 times
Quote:

I don't work at a restaurant. I don't even dine in them that often, so if they go out of business I wouldn't really care.
Updated reading for you about that hourly wage for restaurant servers. They don't make $2.13/hour anymore and haven't for years. The bottom 10% make 8.27/hour while the top make $20/hour plus they get tips.

This was last updated in 2017 so assume they make even more today.
https://www.bls.gov/oes/2017/may/oes353031.htm

Old 07-20-2019, 08:58 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,532,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Each state? Each county? Each city? Gets awfully complicated.

The minimum wage is only a minimum guideline. Places like NYC don't pay the federal minimum wage now. Many states have a higher state law. Setting the federal law to GDP would not change any of that.

Old 07-20-2019, 09:11 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,815,515 times
Quote:
Updated reading for you about that hourly wage for restaurant servers. They don't make $2.13/hour anymore and haven't for years. The bottom 10% make 8.27/hour while the top make $20/hour plus they get tips.

This was last updated in 2017 so assume they make even more today.
https://www.bls.gov/oes/2017/may/oes353031.htm
Lol, the reported wages include tips.

Guess you never worked as a server? Because it seems you have no idea how they report their wages in regards to filing taxes.

But anyway, there is a tipped federal minimum wage that they must get paid, however, the business must ensure they still get the federal minimum wage regardless of tips, so if the server gets zero tips for the week, the business must kick in money to ensure the salary still meets the federal minimum wage. If the server gets $1000 in tips for the week, the business still must give at least the minimum tipped federal wage regardless.

In reporting income, sure, everyone suppose to be honest, but reality is the business will just have a set percent figure they assign to the server, say 10%, and that is what will be reported as the salary they got for the year.

Old 07-20-2019, 09:21 PM

Quote:

Did any restaurant put a gun on anybody’s head and force them to work?

If not, why do you want to force them at gunpoint to do their business your way?

You do not care if people starve to death. I know your kind too well. Restaurant owners are people too and they have families and healthcare to pay too. If they go out of business, who’s paying them? What about the people they hire?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies