Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2019, 09:38 PM

801 posts, read 1,104,005 times

Advertisements

"Mental Illness" is once again on the media and the President's tongue. I consider that term to be deeply problematic, so I am curious about what people are thinking when they hear - or use that terminology.

To simplify things, which of these descriptions most closely matches your perception. You can choose 1 of these, or just freestyle your response:

1. Difficulty coping with life's challenges - in other words, a mental health or psychological problem. (in which case, "illness" is only a metaphor, not an actual biological illness)

2. A character problem or "derangement of mind"

3. A biological illness that impairs the brain's mental faculties (which is not a "mental health problem. People use these terms as if they are the same thing but they are not)

Hope to get at least a few good responses that might be representative of what many people think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2019, 09:40 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,226,860 times
Someone who bats**t crazy.

Old 08-04-2019, 09:46 PM

17,428 posts, read 14,650,567 times
Mental illness is such a catch-all term ... kind of like cancer.

There are some cancers that will kill you fairly quickly with almost no hope without serious chemo and some types that are fairly minor and don't need long term treatment.

It's not an easy answer.

Old 08-04-2019, 09:56 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,525,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryview22 View Post
What does the term "mental illness" mean to you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Someone who bats**t crazy.
And therein lies the problem. SMH It has been a while since I flipped through the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, but I have to confess I do not remember "bats**t crazy" being in that book

I suffer from a mental illness. Two of them, actually. I suffer severe depression and also anxiety. Like the vast majority of us who suffer from some form of mental illness, I am in more danger from being a victim of violence rather than a perpetrator of it. There are so many of us out here that suffer from mental illness. I have read where it is 20% of the population. I am probably part of the 4% of the population whose illness
interferes with or limits one or more major life activities. Some days I literally cannot get out of bed more than trips to the bathroom and, maybe, to the kitchen to get something to eat.

I am pretty open with my illness. Most people hide theirs and I understand why. It's scary living with this illness. It is scarier when you imagine what people would think of you if they knew what you were going through. They may be afraid someone would call them "bats**t crazy." So they keep it to themself. Now people like you may not have the intellect to realize that just because people don't tell you they are going through a mental illness does not ean everything is just fine and dandy.

Mental illness is real. More people suffer from it than you realize. Most mentally ill folks will never harm a living soul. If they do, more times than not, they will harm themselves and not others. And here's the twist at the end. Not all killers, mass shooters or otherwise, are mentally ill. You'll note I did provide links or sources. I have done that in the past. No one follows the links. You already think you know the truth. You don't want to learn otherwise. Just because you think you know the truth mental illness or gun violence does not mean you know anything

Old 08-04-2019, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
And therein lies the problem.

I suffer from a mental illness. Two of them, actually. I suffer severe depression and also anxiety. Like the vast majority of us who suffer from some form of mental illness, I am in more danger from being a victim of violence rather than a perpetrator of it. There are so many of us out here that suffer from mental illness. I have read where it is 20% of the population. I am probably part of the 4% of the population whose illness
interferes with or limits one or more major life activities. Some days I literally cannot get out of bed more than trips to the bathroom and, maybe, to the kitchen to get something to eat.

I am pretty open with my illness. Most people hide theirs and I understand why. It's scary living with this illness. It is scarier when you imagine what people would think of you if they knew what you were going through. They may be afraid someone would call them "bats**t crazy." So they keep it to themself. Now people like you may not have the intellect to realize that just because people don't tell you they are going through a mental illness does not ean everything is just fine and dandy.

Mental illness is real. More people suffer from it than you realize. Most mentally ill folks will never harm a living soul. If they do, more times than not, they will harm themselves and not others. And here's the twist at the end. Not all killers, mass shooters or otherwise, are mentally ill. You'll note I did provide links or sources. I have done that in the past. No one follows the links. You already think you know the truth. You don't want to learn otherwise. Just because you think you know the truth mental illness or gun violence does not mean you know anything
No guns for you.

Old 08-04-2019, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
No guns for you.
I am surprised you would think there needs to be any gun regulations on anyone. So was this a case where you tried to be quick witted and unwittingly wrote something you did not believe or are you admitting the Second Amendment can come with some stipulations?

Old 08-04-2019, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
I am surprised you would think there needs to be any gun regulations on anyone. So was this a case where you tried to be quick witted and unwittingly wrote something you did not believe or are you admitting the Second Amendment can come with some stipulations?
You are the one pontificating about mental illness and guns. I am just going with the flow.

Old 08-04-2019, 10:49 PM

Going with the flow? Oh, well. I did not exect you would answer my question anyway. But you replied to this thread before I did. At least now I know you cannot back up what you say and are probably just trolling anyway. Have a nice life

Old 08-04-2019, 11:22 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,368,921 times
It doesn't matter what it means to me. It only matters what it means to our Lord and Savior, the State.

Old 08-05-2019, 01:52 AM

6,611 posts, read 3,675,165 times
It's involved, being due to a combination of factors - biological, psychological and environmental. I will just say that, since diagnoses vary and how one functions differs, there is not one simple response. Mental issues are complex and depends upon what one might inherit, what they are exposed to and influenced by to create problems in functioning. One diagnosis will have nothing to do with another, such as what may cause a person to think of and shoot a lot of people at random, when another struggling with certain issues is incapable of doing such a thing.

Sadly, having been thought of so negatively to suffer with any mental issue, many will overlook or deny problems, not seeking help for themselves or others, and then we see what can happen.

I thought it best to leave a link about:

https://www.webmd.com/mental-health/...ntal-illness#1
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies