Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2019, 12:39 PM

5,249 posts, read 6,173,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
WRONG: I doubt Graham could get reelected, if he came out as gay. So he won't. Most Republicans harbor a hell of a lot of hatred and resentment against gays, especially the Christian Right side of them. It rivals abortion as their no. 1 national issue.
Graham's full on hissy fit during the Kavanaugh hearings are what will get him reelected. He is one of my Senators. Ever since the mid 00s he has been at risk in the primary not general elections. In the late 00s he got lucky when his the most likely candidate to primary him (Thomas Ravenel) was indicted to distributing cocaine. His next re-election coincided with Jim DeMint leaving the Senate mid-term and the next sure shot opponent (Tim Scott) being appointed to the other seat. National Rs have never had a use to try and get rid of him since he always voted the R line even if he spent 3 months criticizing whatever nominee/issue/legislation was at hand. This and a ton of turnover in other offices has kept a lot of potential primary opponents in other offices.

I think the reason he has drawn more fire as of late is that he has full on embraced some of the more incendiary rhetoric or figures on the R side over the last few years. He's fine with other people living with proverbial targets on their back while hiding behind others rather than facing similar.

That said- he has no life outside that Senate seat. And he is not particularly liked. That basically guarantees he will vote exactly how his base expects to stay in DC instead of SC- look at his change in stances on foreign policy, conduct of a president, amnesty, etc... Many in the state simply overlook the obvious for that reliable vote for their team.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2019, 12:41 PM

7,827 posts, read 3,360,990 times
Democrats think gay people, or black people, or any other person they consider to be disadvantaged should only be treated well if they are themselves, Democrats. If they are Republicans, then they deserve double the wrath they reserve for privileged Republicans.

Old 07-22-2019, 12:44 PM

45,676 posts, read 23,903,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
You aren't homophobic for calling someone out for being gay.

It doesn't work that way.

Many do feel Graham is gay and refuses to own it because of the South Carolina environment he runs in.

The funniest comment I saw was in support of Lapone's trolling tweet......

"Drag that queen"....(queen referencing Graham) -- lol.

And don't even try to suggest I'm homophobic. I've grown up with gay family, friends, etc.

Old 07-22-2019, 12:46 PM

45,676 posts, read 23,903,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
Democrats think gay people, or black people, or any other person they consider to be disadvantaged should only be treated well if they are themselves, Democrats. If they are Republicans, then they deserve double the wrath they reserve for privileged Republicans.
There is nothing in her tweet that suggests that.

That is something you made up in your head.

Old 07-22-2019, 12:57 PM

36,754 posts, read 14,756,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
You aren't homophobic for calling someone out for being gay.

It doesn't work that way.

Many do feel Graham is gay and refuses to own it because of the South Carolina environment he runs in.

The funniest comment I saw was in support of Lapone's trolling tweet......

"Drag that queen"....(queen referencing Graham) -- lol.

And don't even try to suggest I'm homophobic. I've grown up with gay family, friends, etc.

OK, moneill, it's obvious you want to fight with me today.

Tweeters are calling Lupone homophobic. And she deserves the flak, whether or not she is.

Most reasonable people (and that includes me, if not you) don't believe in outing gays; that is THEIR choice.

Lupone was mean-spirited (as was the "drag the queen" tweet you think was so funny). And if you think that Lupone would treat a closeted DEMOCRAT (and I can think of a few in her industry) that way, i just don't know what to say.

Old 07-22-2019, 02:36 PM

7,827 posts, read 3,360,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
There is nothing in her tweet that suggests that.

That is something you made up in your head.
That is exactly what she meant, as anyone who has life experience as a minority or so-called disadvantaged person who is also self-thinking knows.

Old 12-15-2019, 02:56 PM

1,692 posts, read 1,524,001 times
Smile Hollywood Actress Tells Lindsey Graham to Finally Come Out of the Closet

Patti LuPone says Lindsey Graham should just come out and state the obvious:

Patti LuPone Tells Sen. Lindsey Graham to 'Bite the Bullet and Come Out' as Gay - Newsweek

Old 12-15-2019, 03:00 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,345,888 times
How is it any of her business.

Old 12-15-2019, 03:01 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,525,312 times
There was a thread about this when it occurred:

//www.city-data.com/forum/polit...one-tells.html

Old 12-15-2019, 03:01 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,506,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
How is it any of her business.
She must be homophobic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies