Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2019, 03:46 PM

57,229 posts, read 26,172,300 times

Advertisements

The good news is the US lower 48 had near normal temperature records but I don't believe that is true for Alaska. The bad news is that we set a precipitation record for the last 12 months.

Quote:
WASHINGTON — The heat goes on: Earth sizzled to its hottest June on record as the climate keeps going to extremes.
The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration Thursday announced that June averaged 60.6 degrees (15.9 Celsius), about 1.7 degrees (0.9 Celsius) warmer than the 20th century average.
It beat out 2016 for the hottest June with records going back to 1880. NASA and other groups also concluded that last month was the hottest June on record.
Moderator cut: copyright violation

https://www.newsday.com/news/world/j...ord-1.33982360

Last edited by Ibginnie; 07-19-2019 at 04:28 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2019, 04:00 PM

18,489 posts, read 9,151,071 times
“Everyone talks about global warming, but nobody does anything about it.” — Mark Twain’s ghost

Old 07-19-2019, 04:13 PM

6,933 posts, read 2,388,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
The good news is the US lower 48 had near normal temperature records but I don't believe that is true for Alaska. The bad news is that we set a precipitation record for the last 12 months.

You live here on Long Island, as do I.

Two points I'd like to ask you about.

There's no evidence of sea level rising; from Montauk to Manhattan it's still just high and low tide, yes?

Second, does it escape you that this Island was formed from MASSIVE climate events from the Laurentide Ice sheet retreating, and then again to "briefly" return during the Younger Dryas period?

The ending of the last Ice Age had begun before the YD event, but even after that, it continues to this day.

Where we live is a SCAR from the last Ice Age.

What caused the last Ice Age to end? Co2? Mammoth flatulence?

Mankind has NO CONTROL or major EFFECT on the climate of this planet, and there will be another Ice Age.

The star in our day time sky is the BOSS!

Old 07-19-2019, 04:14 PM

27,307 posts, read 16,212,564 times
And in keeping to the apocalyptic trend, August will be hotter yet.

But that’s just weather.

Old 07-19-2019, 04:34 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,578,158 times
Something is definitely messed up in the southern OH region, we are in the upper 90s today and will be thru the weekend, been in the lower 90s for about the past 18 days STRAIGHT!! Not to mention the humidity has been sky high every one of those days too!

We never got LONG stretches of weather like this when I was younger, we got 'fluke' days here and there, where humidity was higher than average and high temps, but NEVER for extended periods.

Whats funny is, a common saying about the local weather is 'Just wait 5 minutes if you dont like the weather' (implying that the weather changes quickly here)...its actually the total opposite of that here, when we get weather patterns, they STICK around for LONG stretches, very few and far between are there truly comfortable days here (when A/C or heat is not needed)!!

Old 07-19-2019, 04:40 PM

30,355 posts, read 19,128,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post

Great news, even though we've past the point of no return, humans are still surviving.

Old 07-19-2019, 04:43 PM

33,547 posts, read 18,143,148 times
I am in Florida and we have had some cooler weather in June .. less humidity and cooler mornings and nights too. This has been a pretty good year so far in SW Florida compared to last year and many years before. It is now 6:45 in the evening and it is 73 degrees.Rain storm cooled it off and now balmy and nice.

Old 07-19-2019, 04:45 PM

33,521 posts, read 37,121,123 times
[quote=SeaMaj7;55714307]You live here on Long Island, as do I.

Quote:
There's no evidence of sea level rising; from Montauk to Manhattan it's still just high and low tide, yes?
New York has experienced at least a foot of sea-level rise since 1900, https://www.dec.ny.gov/energy/45202.html

Quote:
Second, does it escape you that this Island was formed from MASSIVE climate events from the Laurentide Ice sheet retreating, and then again to "briefly" return during the Younger Dryas period?
Everyone knows that.. ..Nothing to do with today's warming event.

Quote:
The ending of the last Ice Age had begun before the YD event, but even after that, it continues
So what?
Quote:
The equatorial heat warmed the precincts of Antarctica in the Southern Hemisphere instead, shrinking the fringing sea ice and changing the circumpolar winds. As a result—and for reasons that remain unexplained—the waters of the Southern Ocean may have begun to release carbon dioxide, enough to raise concentrations in the atmosphere by more than 100 parts per million over millennia—roughly equivalent to the rise in the last 200 years. That CO2 then warmed the globe, melting back the continental ice sheets and ushering in the current climate that enabled humanity to thrive. https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...-last-ice-age/ [quote]

Quote:
Mankind has NO CONTROL or major EFFECT on the climate of this planet, and there will be another Ice Age.
This is obviously untrue.

Quote:
Right, the sun provides the heat, but the excess CO2 emitted by humans traps a portion of the heat and warms the globe.

Old 07-19-2019, 04:47 PM

33,521 posts, read 37,121,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Great news, even though we've past the point of no return, humans are still surviving.
Tell me who said that we are past the tipping point?

Old 07-19-2019, 04:48 PM

57,229 posts, read 26,172,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaMaj7 View Post
You live here on Long Island, as do I.

The ending of the last Ice Age had begun before the YD event, but even after that, it continues to this day.

Sea level is definitely increasing on LI, USGS measurements and studies from experts from Univ of SB and others. But why wouldn't you expect that warmer temperatures result in increased sea level, the Artic melt and glaciers has a profound effect. Also something I never thought of is the growing invasion of salt water into the LI aquifer that will destroy our primary source of drinking water. Sea level rise isn't the same around the globe, some areas are worse than others.

Yes it was both warmer and colder in the past, has nothing to do with the current warming. If you cant believe that the sudden release of carbon stored billions of years into the atmosphere increases warming the no point in any discussion. So why do you think that there is a continual rise in temperature, each year setting a new record. Do you think this is natural.

https://pbisotopes.ess.sunysb.edu/li...s13/Tonjes.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies