Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2019, 10:46 AM

4,336 posts, read 1,552,346 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistermobile View Post
From a Google search

"While the United States doesn't have an official language at the federal level, 31 states have made English their official language. Only one state is officially bilingual — Hawaii claims English and Hawaiian Pidgin English as their two official state languages."

The US Constitution is silent on the subject.

Could Trump by executive order and as a cost saving proclamation, make English the official language in our schools, government and across the nation?
Yes, English is the Universal Language of everything that matters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2019, 11:05 AM
TKO

4,153 posts, read 4,274,901 times
Freedom includes the freedom to speak whatever language you want. You can even make up your own if you want. If you don't speak English you suffer economically but that's a freedom too.

Why so called conservatives care what language other people speak is beyond me. It's ugly.

Old 07-20-2019, 11:07 AM

16,068 posts, read 10,723,780 times
Quote:

Could Trump by executive order and as a cost saving proclamation, make English the official language in our schools, government and across the nation?
The Constitution is silent...why? Who knows.
Many New York troops in the Revolution still spoke Dutch and it was commonly spoken in the state. It was not an issue then and it is a fake issue now.

Leave it to the states. New Mexico gives Spanish a "special" status making it semi-official but we have about a dozen languages - English, Spanish, Navajo, Apache, Keres, Tewa, Zuni, etc.
Give it a rest.

Old 07-20-2019, 11:09 AM

46,943 posts, read 25,960,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Why would anyone care about this? What is an official state language FOR?
To show the brown-skinned people who's boss. Duh.

Old 07-20-2019, 11:11 AM

62,866 posts, read 29,098,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Why would anyone care about this? What is an official state language FOR?
It means that at the state or federal level they don't have to print all kinds of documents in foreign languages which is a cost savings. English as our official language should take its rightful place as a part of our heritage and culture. It will encourage immigrants to assimilate also.

Old 07-20-2019, 11:11 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,509,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionsgators View Post
no declaration. english is by default, the official language. if you don't speak it, you'll have an extremely hard time getting anywhere.

Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Since states have already taken into thier own hands on this topic, the feds should leave it alone.

Seems that "small government" Pubs are the ones who feel threatened by hearing foreign languages spoken in the nation of immigrants.

Settle down, boys.

Irony is NOT a mineral.

I mean, once again, the 'limited' government republicans are demanding the government step in to regulate what THEY want.

Old 07-20-2019, 11:13 AM

6,961 posts, read 2,695,418 times
Quote:
From a Google search

"While the United States doesn't have an official language at the federal level, 31 states have made English their official language. Only one state is officially bilingual — Hawaii claims English and Hawaiian Pidgin English as their two official state languages."

The US Constitution is silent on the subject.

English is the language of commerce. Learn it or be left out of the global marketplace. The Constitution was written in English.

Old 07-20-2019, 11:14 AM

41,938 posts, read 75,137,295 times
I think yes. Not as a divisive, punitive, or xenophobic measure - as I'm seeing in many of these posts - but as a unifying measure.

Old 07-20-2019, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
No I don't think it's a good idea.

Government should not control the language spoken by the people.

If they want to converse in Pig Latin, it's fine with me.

Huh? Making English our official language on the federal level will not control the language spoken by anyone. The stubborn and arrogant will still be allowed to do so out in public.

Old 07-20-2019, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
My four grandparents along with my father and his brother arrived here from Czechoslovakia (my father was 4 years old) and they didn`t speak English. My grandparents learned enough to barely get by and my aunts and uncles were bilingual but all of their children spoke English only. Who should have been kicked out in your opinion? My point is that assimilation takes decades, not months.
That all changes though when one foreign, demographic/linguistic group starts to either outnumber or becomes equal in numbers to the natives though. Then the natives have to assimilate to them instead. No thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies