Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2019, 12:16 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,889,092 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Which is considerably different from believing blacks should be property.

And why did his state join the Confederacy? What was the cause they took up arms for? Let's look it up.

Ah.
I don’t disagree with anything there. The point is in 1860 attitudes were different. Lee was loyal to state over country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2019, 12:25 PM

43,097 posts, read 18,269,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Oaths are to guide you when times get confusing, not to mention downright tough.

Anyone can keep an oath when times are not challenging.

That said, it isn't hard to see why Lee violated his oath, and he was hardly alone. I actually don't think this was a huge deal in the scheme of things. But I do think the idea that loyalty to your state trumps loyalty to your nation is a bit of a stretch, and again, many people at the time saw it as I do.
I don't disagree that, by definition, Lee committed treason.

There were others in the south that did hold true to their oath.
George Thomas was one. And he seems to be one of the forgotten ones.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Henry_Thomas

When it comes down to it though none of us have been in that position..having to choose between your home and your government.

Old 07-21-2019, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
I don’t disagree with anything there. The point is in 1860 attitudes were different. Lee was loyal to state over country.
Understanding history demands context IMHO.

Old 07-21-2019, 12:34 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
I don't disagree that, by definition, Lee committed treason.

There were others in the south that did hold true to their oath.
George Thomas was one. And he seems to be one of the forgotten ones.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Henry_Thomas

When it comes down to it though none of us have been in that position..having to choose between your home and your government.
No, we haven't. For which I am boundlessly grateful.

Old 07-21-2019, 12:54 PM

46,952 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
But if we're discussing the ethics of that choice, surely it's relevant to bring up what his state was doing - and why. Mindless loyalty isn't honorable. Fighting well for a dishonorable cause is nothing to be proud of.

Old 07-21-2019, 01:15 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,596,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Lee graduated from West Point, took an oath on his honor to protect and defend the U.S. and our Constitution, then turned traitor.

Attacking the U.S. is the very definition of treason.

Being a traitor was not acceptable behavior 150 years ago.

No matter how folks try to polish this turd, Lee was a traitor and should have lived out his life in a prison cell.
Exactly. Folks kill me with these dissertations defending these treasonous losers and how far they reach into trying to spin them as not being bad. Even without him owning slaves, people who claim to love America should not celebrate him due to the fact alone he turned his back on his country. He got off easy for his betrayal. The only people revising history are those trying to make excuses for the man!!

Old 07-21-2019, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Lee graduated from West Point, took an oath on his honor to protect and defend the U.S. and our Constitution, then turned traitor.

Attacking the U.S. is the very definition of treason.

Being a traitor was not acceptable behavior 150 years ago.

No matter how folks try to polish this turd, Lee was a traitor and should have lived out his life in a prison cell.
Might want to look up what the oath was in 1830. There was no mention of the US Constitution in it.

Old 07-21-2019, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beliciano View Post
Exactly. Folks kill me with these dissertations defending these treasonous losers and how far they reach into trying to spin them as not being bad. Even without him owning slaves, people who claim to love America should not celebrate him due to the fact alone he turned his back on his country. He got off easy for his betrayal. The only people revising history are those trying to make excuses for the man!!
Who celebrates him ?

Old 07-21-2019, 01:42 PM

5,738 posts, read 5,443,536 times
Celebrating confederate generals is already a kind of revisionism. They rebelled and lost against the United States of America, to preserve slavery. They're not scum, but they don't deserve statues.

Old 07-21-2019, 02:12 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
Celebrating confederate generals is already a kind of revisionism. They rebelled and lost against the United States of America, to preserve slavery. They're not scum, but they don't deserve statues.
Anyone who wants to can erect a statue of whoever they damn well please, providing it's on land they control. I don't have a problem with statues of Lee, necessarily. All I'm doing is pointing out that Lee's actions and the reasons for them are pretty well-known, and have been under discussion for over 150 years now, since the time(s) when he did them. There's really nothing new that can be said that hasn't already been said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies