Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2019, 02:03 PM

13,562 posts, read 10,316,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
What a dumb post, again.
Just returning the favor...have a nice day. You just can't leave things well alone, can't you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2019, 02:06 PM

39,044 posts, read 27,462,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Just returning the favor...have a nice day. You just can't leave things well alone, can't you?
Like i said, you just want to say the last words. lol

Too darn bad, today is not your lucky day.

Old 08-08-2019, 02:18 PM

Quote:

Too darn bad, today is not your lucky day.
What restraint, decorum and maturity coming from you. Thank you, you've made my day.

Old 08-08-2019, 02:25 PM

39,044 posts, read 27,462,475 times
Quote:
What restraint, decorum and maturity coming from you. Thank you, you've made my day.
well, like I said, you just want to say your last words. You prove me right, again.

Maybe this is your idea of "confrontation", like you posted earlier. I am just doing what you want others to do, that is all.

Old 08-08-2019, 02:31 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,786,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
This may just be the tip of the iceberg.
IT companies in the US are all like that...

https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/07/...n-descent/amp/

After the meeting, the man told a fellow interviewer that Intel shouldn’t hire Ryu because he was “Korean, married, and had a child,†and added, “It would be easier to hire a younger, unmarried Indian man,†the suit alleged.

One manager in his team, of Indian origin, “openly favored the hiring and promotion of only employees from India, stating that ‘Indians work hard’ and ‘Indians are harder workers,'†the suit alleged. That manager also encouraged a supervisor to hire only Indian employees, the suit filed Wednesday claimed.

I hope he wins his case. That is pretty blatant racism and employment discrimination.

Old 08-08-2019, 02:49 PM

Quote:
And now, for a counterpoint.

Yeah, in my professional dealings, some South Asian clients can be really difficult - such as bargaining really hard on every little thing and lowballing. I've worked with this by being firm and being upfront that it's a no go. That said, I have many wonderful neighbors from that region and we get along well.

Now here are some things that I actually respect South Asians for, that particularly some folks from my community (East Asians) can take:

They don't take s*** from nobody.
They'll fight back and be upfront if they're getting shortchanged. A good lesson for some mealy-mouthed Chinese or Japanese people who shy away from direct confrontation when it's needed but go into their passive aggressive mode. Heck, if you're not being treated right, speak up! Some folks need a swift kick in the you know what at times.

They aren't intimidated by White folks or Europeans, nor do they kowtow to their culture.
These are folks who kicked out the British. And while Winston Churchill is lionized by the British (and many Americans) as a hero, many if not most Indians despise Churchill for his opposition to Indian self-determination and independence, his racist attitudes towards Indians, and his hatred towards Mahatma Gandhi. Here in America, they'll name their American-born kids traditional names --- Arjun, Anushka, Rania, and Sanjay. Not Jennifer, Samuel (unless it's Sameer), or McKayla. Heck, even Nikki Haley and Bobby Jindal got traditional Indian names until they changed it to fit into the South. Here in California, they don't have to do that. Like Ro Khanna in my area, or Pramila Jayapal in Seattle. While navigating one's identity and finding where you fit is often part and parcel of the process of Asian Americans who grow up as a minority community in America, I've found that South Asians seem to be more sure of themeselves and aren't apologetic about themselves, compared with say, Chinese and Japanese Americans (the latter group may have been really affected by the internment camp experience, to be fair).

They've gotten involved in civil affairs at a more rapid pace than other cultural groups. It's no secret that political participation is pathetically low for Asian Americans aggregately. South Asians, probably due to their general level of English fluency and tradition of being a democracy in their home country, have gotten into elective office involvement pretty well. By contrast, the tradition of oppression and totalitarianism in China has probably conditioned generations of Chinese Americans to lay low and stay out of politics. That's gotta change.
On the above - I agree with this bold in that I've also worked with a lot of South Asians and Indians in particular, mostly I'm in a position of power though above them so I've not had to deal much with any shenanigans.

I do admire that Indians don't take a lot of sh** lol. I also do love that they embrace and don't shy away from their cultural heritage. IMO those are plusses for the demographic. I also know a lot of 2nd generation Indians and those who were brought here as children and raised here who are very involved in Civil and Social rights organizations and causes. So in many ways they are very actively involved in their communities.

On most of the rants against Indians in the thread, I'll note, again, I've not had many problems with them but I believe those who have and explained as such in the thread. The few incidences I've had, I do think they could have "gone" there if I weren't the person who could have their contract terminated within 2 weeks lol. Plus I also don't take any sh** at work and I let that be known immediately, and very nicely when I implement a new project/program/vendor at work. I'm a female and am black so I do have the whole "angry black female" stereotype I know people probably have of me and maybe that protects me a bit from folks going "there" with me. I don't come off as someone to mess with at work and especially not my vendors. A good vendor is one I don't hear a lot of complaints about and I tell all of them that when they are hired for a project/term. I did have one South Asian owned company in Atlanta that had some issues and who I eventually had to let go over customer service and the pushiness mentioned above and I counseled them and told them if it persisted that they would be terminated. We ended up having to terminate. I don't like hearing any complaints, especially not about customer service issues when the service the vendor is providing is directly linked to my customers/clients, which this one was. Can't take too many chances.

IMO the best way to get rid of these people who have horrible inter-personal skills in comparison to other Americans is not to place the money saved over the experience of your internal team/employees or external customers/clients. For me, that is of the most importance and I won't deal with people/companies where that is not a priority. Again, luckily I've not had any lateral co-workers like those described in the thread, otherwise I may have a different perspective but I think a lot of first generation immigrants are similar to the complaints being made in the thread. I know I've had a lot of issues with first generation immigrants from Africa that I've worked with that are similar. Especially those related to gender as in many cultures around the world patriarchy runs VERY deep - I've had a lot of issues with both African men and women who had horrible attitudes and interestingly to me, they are less likely to be afraid of the "angry black woman" stereotype and they will "go there" and do their thing. It was frustrating dealing with them when I was younger, but I don't have many issues with them today.

All of these complaints I've read here remind me, again, of how in America, we are much better off socially in regards to accepting and respecting each other than many Americans like to give us credit for as the tolerance we have with each other based on race, gender, or sexual orientation is not the same as other countries/cultures around the world.

Old 08-08-2019, 02:56 PM

On the whole education/math thing, for me, I don't see that as an issue or reason for people to be combattive and outright racist at work or for them to use employment discrimination.

There actually are children and young people interested in math and science and other ethnic groups besides Asians do get into those fields and are interested in those subjects. Oftentimes they are not given the opportunity to work in those fields due to the racism as shown within the OP link/quotes. On competitions and such of kids, those things and outside appearances/accolades are not always important to some people. Also some kids who are talented in STEM just don't want to get into those fields at all. My own son will be a senior this year in high school and was pegged as advanced in math starting in 3rd grade. He has always been good at math. He used to want to be an engineer and I sent him to a STEM middle/high school. He said that that school made him realize that engineering was "boring" lol - mostly because they rarely let the middle school kids do any fun engineering projects. Twice a year they had competitions where kids had to solve some sort of project using engineering skills/tools/technology and he LOVED that part of the school and we have huge trophies he won 4 times for solving whatever problem the fastest that they had. That was the only thing he liked.

He also said that they often stereotyped him at his school because he was black. He didn't feel that they were being "really racist" or anything but just the idea that he liked rap music or played basketball or was supposed to be some sort of way - he got sick of dealing with them so asked to go to a regular high school, which is where he is today. He now wants to get into digital marketing and has always wanted to be a film maker. He also has his own business selling shoes that he paints and t-shirts. So oftentimes kids actually are discouraged by the educational system and not because they are not talented at math and science.

Old 08-08-2019, 03:52 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,020,941 times
Quote:
I don't need your help, this is the thing.

I've read a lot of her posts, her posting history speak itself. She's not what you thought.

You cannot post stupid things about others, and expect everybody who reads it to stay quiet. I am not that kind of poster, sorry.

You are a funny person by the way, I have not a darn clue what semantics has anything to do with this thread. lol
I have also seen her posts for quite some years now. Some of the below are about legal visa workers. Her stance about welfare and illegal immigration is also well known.

"They cannot be here" "We owe them nothing" "they should be kicked out" "they should leave if they dont like" "i ll take a bullet if you are to leave this country" .

SilverKris merely said "Mindless desi bashing" . Not because she is a Woman or Jewish. Till now no one traded personal insults AFAIK.

Old 08-08-2019, 04:40 PM

Quote:
well, like I said, you just want to say your last words. You prove me right, again.

Maybe this is your idea of "confrontation", like you posted earlier. I am just doing what you want others to do, that is all.
Oh, I don't care...seems like you got all bothered to set yourself up for this...sounds like it's you who can't let well enough alone. But go keep knocking yourself out.

Old 08-08-2019, 10:05 PM

402 posts, read 336,392 times
Quote:
Perhaps a more productive way is to educate your fellow Indian person who isn't acting in the way you think is acceptable. If you don't, you're still going to get stereotyped anyway as perpetual foreigners. Been there, done that.

We do that in the Chinese community (I'm 2nd generation, from a earlier generation), and it's pretty darned common to complain about the JOJ (just off the jet) or FOB types - been going on for a long time.

I've learned to work together productively - and my view of the matter is, we're all kind of in the same boat - why not take advantage of the strength in numbers?
It does not work that way at all. Indians are very divided and they do not listen to anyone. I realize that I will always be seen as a perpetual foreigner due to racism. However, people treat me better if they think I am biracial (part Black) instead of Indian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies