Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2019, 07:56 AM

30,063 posts, read 18,663,011 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
This may just be the tip of the iceberg.
IT companies in the US are all like that...

https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/07/...n-descent/amp/

After the meeting, the man told a fellow interviewer that Intel shouldn’t hire Ryu because he was “Korean, married, and had a child,” and added, “It would be easier to hire a younger, unmarried Indian man,” the suit alleged.

One manager in his team, of Indian origin, “openly favored the hiring and promotion of only employees from India, stating that ‘Indians work hard’ and ‘Indians are harder workers,'” the suit alleged. That manager also encouraged a supervisor to hire only Indian employees, the suit filed Wednesday claimed.

You see that in medicine. My brother (also a doc) calls it an Indian "infestation", in that one Indian doc will recruit only Indian docs to their group. Sadly, many Indian docs are very greedy and look upon medicine as an ATM. Before you know it, you have a problem in your medical community.

Our group, on the other hand, does not hire Indian docs, as you cannot trust them to do what is best for the patient, rather than their own wallet. We have been consistently burned in the past. Apparently it has something to do with their religion, in that one said he had to achieve $5 million in savings as a part of some goal related to his religion!

Indian cardiologists and GI docs are notorious at over utilization of procedures that net them the most money. They are hard workers- I will grant you that. However, in medicine, you simply can't trust them to do what is best for the patient. They are quite open in saying that they are only in the US for the money and will return to India once they get their desired pile of cash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2019, 08:14 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
This may just be the tip of the iceberg.
IT companies in the US are all like that...

https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/07/...n-descent/amp/

After the meeting, the man told a fellow interviewer that Intel shouldn’t hire Ryu because he was “Korean, married, and had a child,” and added, “It would be easier to hire a younger, unmarried Indian man,” the suit alleged.

One manager in his team, of Indian origin, “openly favored the hiring and promotion of only employees from India, stating that ‘Indians work hard’ and ‘Indians are harder workers,'” the suit alleged. That manager also encouraged a supervisor to hire only Indian employees, the suit filed Wednesday claimed.
In my prior career I employed many Asian- American men in technical capacities. They were not immigrants. Like most, they descended from immigrants. It was an eye- opener to grasp the legacy cultural pecking order within some Asian - American communities. Some had to be terminated because they continued to be challenged to grasp ethnic / cultural dramas/ preferences were unwelcome.

Promoting a highly competent white woman from within the team to lead the team eventually brought the team together. They were equally appalled they reported to a female, especially one who took no crap.

And life moved on.

Old 07-30-2019, 08:16 AM

6,980 posts, read 2,703,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biker53 View Post
My son-in-law is a software engineer for a company with Indian immigrants in top management positions who are fairly blatant in their discrimination against non-Indians.
Most are getting kickbacks from Indian contracting firms to bring on more people with questionable ability.

Old 07-30-2019, 08:47 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
That has been my life for the last 7-8 years. Day in, day out. People don't understand it until they experience it and even then, many are prone to dismiss it as a one-off or an example of one person being a complete douchebag. I'm so used to people trying to push me under the bus that my back is covered in handprints and I cover my ass militantly and without thought.

I don't like how abrupt, blunt, and sometimes rude I have to be to the Telugu tribe sometimes. It annoys me that I have to behave that way to them to get anything done, and I don't like for other Americans to witness it. People from other parts of India get it (and they treat them the same way).

I actually have no beef with people from some parts of India. They have by and large treated me with courtesy and respect and I do the same in return. Some of my favorite coworkers at my present job are north Indians. They dislike the behavior of the Andhra crowd as much as I do.

Don't you believe anything your client is telling you. He's acting like a meek puppy because you made him do it. He's not sorry and he'll continue to behave that way with anyone who will put up with it. Cover your ass and get everything (and I mean EVERYTHING) in writing. Save everything. Record your phone calls if you have to. I've seen this before where they say one thing to guy A, then deny all of it when guy B asks about it. Then it's on you to make him into a liar.
I recall all those posts you'd written when I was still hanging out in the Work and Employment forum and I don't know how you've put up with this long-term. I'm sure whatever I dealt with is 1000x worse for women.

I'm great at covering my behind, so everything is always documented anyway. I have dates, times, who was in the room, etc. When Comey was saying he went back immediately after meeting with Trump and made detailed notes, I thought - that's Monday through Friday for me...lol.

Hats off to you, BigD - I couldn't do this every day - but I know in your field you haven't had a choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Beta wolf got schooled by the alpha. Finish the project before he tests again.
I think loud obnoxious alpha was shocked into silence by the louder, more obnoxious alpha....lol. At least momentarily. He knows who he is. When I said he was insufferable and I wasn't going to put up with it, his response was a sheepish, "I know....I know...."

The project is being wrapped up even as I type and I've already made the decision not to work with him again. I'm too old for this and have earned enough stripes where I can be selective.

I can only imagine how guys like this treat their wives.

Old 07-30-2019, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Dude, I live in an area with FANTASTIC public schools.

Indian, Pak, Chinese kids around here (plus mine) destroying the top scores in math etc. competitions.

It's not the schools buddy. It's the soft, cushy, US lifestyle and culture....in the US being great in school = nerd.

Same complaint my sibling makes about their medical field.

All theses American kids seem interested in it until....ooops! Wow, that's a lot of hard classes! <transfers to business, teaching etc.>
It’s easier to blame the schools than our own culture and it’s nothing new.

Old 07-30-2019, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annandale_Man View Post
Most are getting kickbacks from Indian contracting firms to bring on more people with questionable ability.
Do you need a hand to help you carry that broad brush?

Old 07-30-2019, 09:04 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,861,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
You see that in medicine. My brother (also a doc) calls it an Indian "infestation", in that one Indian doc will recruit only Indian docs to their group. Sadly, many Indian docs are very greedy and look upon medicine as an ATM. Before you know it, you have a problem in your medical community.

Our group, on the other hand, does not hire Indian docs, as you cannot trust them to do what is best for the patient, rather than their own wallet. We have been consistently burned in the past. Apparently it has something to do with their religion, in that one said he had to achieve $5 million in savings as a part of some goal related to his religion!

Indian cardiologists and GI docs are notorious at over utilization of procedures that net them the most money. They are hard workers- I will grant you that. However, in medicine, you simply can't trust them to do what is best for the patient. They are quite open in saying that they are only in the US for the money and will return to India once they get their desired pile of cash.
I will say that I had an Indian ER doctor at Cedars-Sinai in LA that saw me after a groin injury from a bike accident... Terrible attitude, ordered numerous unnecessary tests and procedures, which left me basically right back at square one with a $4k bill and a diretive to come back for other treatments which seemed superfluous and unnecessary.

In desperation, I went to a clinic in Hollywood and a very friendly and empathetic doctor prescribed me Flomax, told me to take cranberry pills for a couple weeks, and charged me $50. The problem was fixed in an hour.

Old 07-30-2019, 09:08 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,183,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I recall all those posts you'd written when I was still hanging out in the Work and Employment forum and I don't know how you've put up with this long-term. I'm sure whatever I dealt with is 1000x worse for women.

I'm great at covering my behind, so everything is always documented anyway. I have dates, times, who was in the room, etc. When Comey was saying he went back immediately after meeting with Trump and made detailed notes, I thought - that's Monday through Friday for me...lol.

Hats off to you, BigD - I couldn't do this every day - but I know in your field you haven't had a choice.
She and I are in the heart of India central for technology for Texas. I have a thousand stories I could tell.

I had a Senior VP at Citi Group tell me once 15 years ago when they first started importing them: "I can hire and import for half the price an American kid wants right out of College".

They are difficult to deal with in the Real Estate business also.
I find many cases I'm very abrupt with them and the only word they understand is NO.
Doing business with them is so different then doing business with an American, especially a home grown Texan.

The good thing is most of the time 2nd generation wants nothing to do with the Fresh off the Boat gen.
Many 2nd Gens don't want to live near where they cluster because they get stereotyped.

Old 07-30-2019, 09:41 AM

78,404 posts, read 60,579,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Everywhere in America doesn’t have fantastic public schools.
Not the point.

Old 07-30-2019, 09:49 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
She and I are in the heart of India central for technology for Texas. I have a thousand stories I could tell.

I had a Senior VP at Citi Group tell me once 15 years ago when they first started importing them: "I can hire and import for half the price an American kid wants right out of College".

They are difficult to deal with in the Real Estate business also.
I find many cases I'm very abrupt with them and the only word they understand is NO.
Doing business with them is so different then doing business with an American, especially a home grown Texan.

The good thing is most of the time 2nd generation wants nothing to do with the Fresh off the Boat gen.
Many 2nd Gens don't want to live near where they cluster because they get stereotyped.
Interesting. There's been a recent trend of Indians moving into my town and two real estate agents I know have told me the same thing you've posted here. They have a very bad reputation as both buyers and sellers of property.

And as they've moved in, my Jewish neighbors have moved out. I'm told there's a correlation there, by those moving out, but when I've asked what it is, I don't get clear answers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies