Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2019, 05:10 AM

89,473 posts, read 45,156,209 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
Fair enough, I mispoke. I meant lower-middle class, middle class, and upper-middle class. But even if you simplify it.... the middle class is largely impacted. It's not just the rich.
Patently false. The article even says only 6% of taxpayers had an increase in their effective federal income tax rate. I'm in that 6% due to the SALT deduction limit. Though I now live in a relatively low-tax red state, what I pay in state and local taxes exceeds $10,000 by quite a bit. It's significantly less than what I would have paid in my former home state of IL, all things being equal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2019, 05:18 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,804,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Let's break this down for you.

"the majority of Americans receiving a tax cut" - Yes, the majority of Americans were able to pay less income taxes thanks to the tax cut.

"more individual returns" - More people had jobs.
The employment situation has improved 0.1% since the tax law went into effect, so it does not come even close to explaining the numbers. The tax rates dipped a fraction, but other changes caused millions of Americans to pay much more in taxes.

Old 07-21-2019, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
The employment situation has improved 0.1% since the tax law went into effect, so it does not come even close to explaining the numbers. The tax rates dipped a fraction, but other changes caused millions of Americans to pay much more in taxes.
Only 6% of taxpayers had an increase in their effective federal income tax rate due to the new tax law.

Old 07-21-2019, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Only 6% of taxpayers had an increase in their effective federal income tax rate due to the new tax law.
Read what I said and let it sink in.

"The tax rates dipped a fraction, but other changes caused millions of Americans to pay much more in taxes."

You might save $500 with the rate reduction and lose $8000 with the elimination of the dependent exemption. In many cases, the change in standard deduction did not come close to covering many of the tax hikes in the new tax law.

Old 07-21-2019, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Read what I said and let it sink in.

"The tax rates dipped a fraction, but other changes caused millions of Americans to pay much more in taxes."
Quantify that. How many millions do you think paid a higher effective tax rate with the new tax law in effect? It's 6% of those who actually pay any federal income tax, at all. So how many is that?

Old 07-21-2019, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Quantify that. How many millions do you think paid a higher effective tax rate with the new tax law in effect? It's 6% of those who actually pay any federal income tax, at all. So how many is that?
I asked you to let it sink in, but apparently that was too much to ask for, since you are still taking about the rate.

Example:

A person paid $20 000 in taxes in 2017 while the rate was 20%, and paid $25 000 in in 2018 with rate was 19%.

So he paid $5 000 more. Was it a tax cut, or a tax hike?

You call it a cut, but it was not a cut, it was a hike.

You've been duped.

Old 07-21-2019, 06:29 AM

Quote:
I asked you to let it sink in, but apparently that was too much to ask for, since you are still taking about the rate.

Example:

A person paid $20 000 in taxes in 2017 while the rate was 20%, and paid $25 000 in in 2018 with rate was 19%.

So he paid $5 000 more. Was it a tax cut, or a tax hike?

You call it a cut, but it was not a cut, it was a hike.

You've been duped.
Nope. You've given an extremely bad explanation that exposes your ignorance of both math and taxes. Anyone who paid $20,000 in federal income tax with an effective federal income tax rate of 20% theoretically has a taxable income of $100,000 (which is unlikely - a $100,000 taxable income earner has an average effective federal income tax rate of only 10.71% according to the IRS's latest published data). And that theoretical $100,000 is not low-income, anyway.

I'll ask again... Quantify how many millions you think paid a higher effective tax rate with the new tax law in effect? It's 6% of those who actually pay any federal income tax, at all. So how many is that?

Old 07-21-2019, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Nope. You've given an extremely bad explanation that exposes your ignorance of both math and taxes.
You are STILL clinging to the irrelevant tax rate.

You have bought a lie, which mandates that any reduction in rate is always a cut, even when you end up paying more to the IRS.

It is not me who is ignorant, it is you. You are easily manipulated.

I do not care what my rate is, I only care about how much I owe the IRS.

Old 07-21-2019, 06:58 AM

4,274 posts, read 3,200,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Thats just silly. Its called a business cycle and the president has very little to do with that no matter how many of you think that some authoritarian figure in the White House can work miracles.

Tax revenue always increases unless there is a big recession. Its called GDP growth. The result of the tax cuts are massive deficits and ballooning debt as tax revenue has slowed down dramatically relative to the trend line.
Spending is the issue....not the tax rate!!!

Old 07-21-2019, 07:00 AM

20,186 posts, read 23,915,129 times
Quote:
You are STILL clinging to the irrelevant tax rate.

You have bought a lie, which mandates that any reduction in rate is always a cut, even when you end up paying more to the IRS.

It is not me who is ignorant, it is you. You are easily manipulated.

I do not care what my rate is, I only care about how much I owe the IRS.
If you pay more its because you are not paying your fair share. Ironic cause you are a Democrat...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies