Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2019, 12:34 PM

2,448 posts, read 892,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
All the working people I know (and I come from a family of them) would say that the issue isn't the nature of the work. It's the pay that is offered. Turning down a particular job (or category of jobs) doesn't mean that a person is lazy.

I couldn't agree more. You need to explain this to your brethren who are confused on this and clearly imply or, sometimes, just explicitly state that our native-born working poor don't work as hard. Did you read a few of the replies just above that clearly state that illegal immigrants work harder?

Old 07-21-2019, 12:35 PM

Quote:
I'm missing the pertinence of this piece to the discussion of why the US would be better off with more whites and fewer nonwhites.
It was a response to a poster who uses "cat lady" as her handle and the article is from a cat lady.

Old 07-21-2019, 12:36 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,735,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiociolliscalves View Post
It was a response to a poster who uses "cat lady" as her handle and the article is from a cat lady.
Still missing the pertinence. I'm a cat lady too, BTW.

Old 07-21-2019, 12:37 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoMeO View Post
I am sick of all this hate against people of color - that color is white.

I am sick of ALL OF THIS stupid racism crap which comes in all forms. Especially when it is made up and not true.

There is a true racism, many times what people call things is NOT, but its that someone cant handle an opinion of someone.

One of the stupidest accusations of racism is this cultural appropriation. Yesterday on TV, they were talking about Scarlett Johansen could not play a role as a transgender because she is not transgender. But actors are supposed to play parts that they are not.. which is why it is called ACTING. This has gone way off into the Twilight Zone. Also along with this cultural appropriation, one race cannot wear certain hairstyles, schools cannot have Taco Tuesday, etc. This is ridiculous.

Instead of celebrating various cultures, now some people are insulted.
Oh for crying out loud. The argument is that studios should try to cast actors to be as close to the source material as possible. I remember reading that people were not exactly happy with a young Jennifer Lawrence getting the role of Katniss Everdeen in The Hunger Games because in the book, Katniss was olive skinned which Lawrence isn't. ScarJo was named the actor for an adaption of the Japanese manga/anime The Ghost in.the Shell and got backlash there for being named in the lead role which is Asian in nature, specifically Japanese. It bombed in theaters partially due to white washing. I was against Michael B. Jordan as Johnny Storm in Fantastic Four not because of the race swap but because Sue Storm was still white. They were both supposed to be brother and sister and I can't recall any sibling combo being different races...

As for the trans role. The argument is that it should go to a trans actor. I cannot think of any off the top of my head at all. I'm sure there has to be. If there isn't, that means you either make the story as best you can with non-trans actors or you don't make it. Since ScarJo left the project, the movie went into development Hell.

Old 07-21-2019, 12:42 PM

14,762 posts, read 8,093,254 times
Quote:
I'm missing the pertinence of this piece to the discussion of why the US would be better off with more whites and fewer nonwhites.

Makes perfect sense to the Prejudiced and the racists. They feel that they are superior due to their skin pigmentation.
If they are white and have a Y chromosome their sense of superiority doubles.

Old 07-21-2019, 12:45 PM

12,966 posts, read 9,645,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
The truth hurts sometimes. I’m all for people of any color or ethnicity as long as they are productive, law abiding citizens and appreciate the freedoms afforded to them here. The facts are though some groups don’t contribute much at all and others blatantly try to destroy the foundation this country was built on.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/u-pe...220301733.html

You sound like you are entitled, more so than people of color. Everybody came here from somewhere else, and there are plenty people who are not people of color and not productive and law abiding.

Old 07-21-2019, 12:45 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,735,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiociolliscalves View Post
I couldn't agree more. You need to explain this to your brethren who are confused on this and clearly imply or, sometimes, just explicitly state that our native-born working poor don't work as hard. Did you read a few of the replies just above that clearly state that illegal immigrants work harder?
I grew up in southern california. I am very familiar with the sight of immigrant laborers doing stoop labor in fields when it is 100 degrees outside, while I was comfortably riding in a car.

I've done physical labor - worked in machine shops, mopped floors, cleaned restrooms, worked in nursing homes. I have never worked as hard as those people in the fields. My parents did, and sacrificed much so that I would never have to. Just as many of the people in those fields are doing.

It's a simple fact - field work is extremely hard work, and few people, other than immigrants, are willing to do it at the wages offered. Farmers themselves say this. Are you willing to do it?

And again, avoiding these jobs doesn't mean that a person is lazy. It means they think they can find a job with better pay and more of a future if they keep looking.

Old 07-21-2019, 12:51 PM
Status: "Apparently the worst poster on CD" (set 22 days ago)

27,631 posts, read 16,115,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazee Cat Lady View Post
Makes perfect sense to the Prejudiced and the racists. They feel that they are superior due to their skin pigmentation.
If they are white and have a Y chromosome their sense of superiority doubles.
Wow. Racism and sexism. You should be proud.

Old 07-21-2019, 12:51 PM

3,637 posts, read 1,696,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
The truth hurts sometimes. I’m all for people of any color or ethnicity as long as they are productive, law abiding citizens and appreciate the freedoms afforded to them here. The facts are though some groups don’t contribute much at all and others blatantly try to destroy the foundation this country was built on.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/u-pe...220301733.html

Gee, I think we just got a little glimpse into your prejudices ! Bet you voted for Trump, didn't you ?

Old 07-21-2019, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Still missing the pertinence. I'm a cat lady too, BTW.
That's good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies