Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2019, 10:29 AM

14,229 posts, read 4,593,980 times

Advertisements

Well, I am not going to the back of the kitchen (if they even let me) to check on the immigration status of the employees at the local Mexican or Chinese restaurants.

Plus, California just passed a law prohibited both pubic and private employers from cooperating with immigration officials
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2019, 10:30 AM

15,713 posts, read 9,523,000 times
I typically do not do boycotts because of politics. In this case, I'm not sure just being on eVerify means you never hire an illegal. As someone mentioned, there are "compliant" companies who then contract some work out where the contractors hire illegals. Like I said, I am not a fan of boycotts in most cases. When my friends told me I should boycott Chick-Fil-A, I just laughed. I don't boycott companes who put out a good product.

Old 07-21-2019, 10:32 AM

6,326 posts, read 6,590,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
I posted before about the poultry plant. Highest wages and best benefits in the area. Legal Americans won't stay because it is hard and dirty work. Some of the Hispanics have been there more than 10 years. I am sure that some of the long-term employees are illegals. They would close without them.
Supply and demand is a dirty word if it demands higher wages to keep people motivated in less than compelling lines of work. Businesses have very peculiar idea about Econ 101. They believe it is their right to hire enough of workers at fixed low hourly rates.

Old 07-21-2019, 10:34 AM

6,326 posts, read 6,590,988 times
Boycotting illegals is easy though. Just stop eating. It is impossible to eat and not to support this or that abusive practice at home and abroad.

Old 07-21-2019, 10:36 AM

19,718 posts, read 10,124,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RememberMee View Post
Supply and demand is a dirty word if it demands higher wages to keep people motivated in less than compelling lines of work. Businesses have very peculiar idea about Econ 101. They believe it is their right to hire enough of workers at fixed low hourly rates.
These are not low hourly wages. Those of you who don't "hire and fire" don't realize how lazy young Americans are. They are spoiled.

Old 07-21-2019, 10:36 AM

62,952 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
There is a poultry plant not far from here. They run TV, Radio and newspaper ads trying to hire. They pay the best wages in the area and have good benefits. My daughter worked there for 4 years. The day she was hired they hired 23 white Americans. After a couple weeks she was the only one left. It is hard, dirty, hot work. Americans don't want to do it. Why should they close simply because Americans are lazy?
Many of the Hispanics have been there 10 years or more.
Oh stop with the lazy American BS! Are these Hispanics you speak of here legally? No employer has a right to hire them for any reason whatsoever. If they truly have a shortage of American workers then why don't they petition our government for visas or legal workers? Why would you just single out white Americans anyway? Why aren't American blacks, etc. working those jobs also? If these employees are all illegal Hispanics then doesn't that mean the legal Hispanics are supposedly lazy also? Let's face it, illegals allow themselves to be exploited because they have no other choice but that doesn't make them superior workers to anyone else.

Old 07-21-2019, 10:43 AM

62,952 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:
They are not looking for cheap labor. They pay the highest wages in the area and offer health insurance and other benefits. Americans are just too coddled to do hard work.
Just stop with this hatefulness and lies about Americans. Americans do plenty of hard work just because they may not want to work in stinky chicken plants does not change that fact. If there are certain jobs that are too nasty for an American to work then petition the government for legal workers with visas. There is no excuse to hire illegals, period! After all there are unlimited visas for farm workers because it's not a career job for Americans and only seasonal work so why can't there be unlimited visas for certain other jobs? But calling Americans lazy or that they don't want to hard work is nothing but BS and lies!

Old 07-21-2019, 10:43 AM

7,293 posts, read 4,095,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Oh stop with the lazy American BS! Are these Hispanics you speak of here legally? No employer has a right to hire them for any reason whatsoever. If they truly have a shortage of American workers then why don't they petition our government for visas or legal workers? Why would you just single out white Americans anyway? Why aren't American blacks, etc. working those jobs also? If these employees are all illegal Hispanics then doesn't that mean the legal Hispanics are supposedly lazy also? Let's face it, illegals allow themselves to be exploited because they have no other choice but that doesn't make them superior workers to anyone else.
He said that the poultry company pays the highest wages and offers the best benefits in the region.

Old 07-21-2019, 10:47 AM

19,842 posts, read 12,102,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Absolutely I boycott companies that I know about that hire illegals.Make E-Verify the law of the land and hammer every single employer that gets caught hiring illegals. That includes the cheap skates that hire them to do odd jobs around the house. Hammer the illegals too. No free passes.
I remember a vociferously Pro-illegal poster here who, when pressed, admitted she hired illegals to clean her home, lay new flooring and another major home improvement that I do not recall at the moment. She was thrilled that she got all of the work done at a huge discount.

Old 07-21-2019, 10:49 AM

19,718 posts, read 10,124,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Just stop with this hatefulness and lies about Americans. Americans do plenty of hard work just because they may not want to work in stinky chicken plants does not change that fact. If there are certain jobs that are too nasty for an American to work then petition the government for legal workers with visas. There is no excuse to hire illegals, period! After all there are unlimited visas for farm workers because it's not a career job for Americans and only seasonal work so why can't there be unlimited visas for certain other jobs? But calling Americans lazy or that they don't want to hard work is nothing but BS and lies!
I hired and fired for years. Most American young people are lazy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies