Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2019, 07:10 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
We are all paying more for gas, food, clothes, etc now.

Let me ask you something, if you are making $10 an hour now. Why would you find it acceptable to be paid $15 if some HS kid with absolutely no job experience could make that?

...and you will pay more for these things if the minimum goes up. That $10 represents the value of your labor, the value of your labor doesn't increase by increasing the dollar amount. There may be short term where you will benefit but prices for goods and services will adjust and you'll be back to square. As I already mentioned if you are going from $10 to a minimum of $15 that would be a pay cut long term because you will be at the bottom of the pay scale.

Quote:
$15.00 and hr would free up a lot of time for me and I wouldn’t have to work two jobs unless I wanted too.

You are assuming a $15 an hour minimum will have same buying power it has now, it will not.

If you want to increase what you make you need to increase the value of your labor. You need a skill or job that someone is willing to pay more for.

Old 07-22-2019, 07:10 AM

78,409 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Depending on said job automation can kill a lot of jobs as you stated. Sadly there is no cure all for this there are assembly jobs, packing jobs that can’t be replaced. We own our home and other then my wife’s car everything else is paid off. So we would be among who would benefit from it.
Yep. It's refreshing to have an honest conversation about these things.

There will be a complex set of reactions and as noted in the thread there has already been checkout automation going on for years.

You're going to see some real desperation out there from the very bottom of the employment ranks. People that struggled to find\keep low paying jobs anyway are going to be frozen out.

Regardless, it won't pass because it's not intended to pass. Didn't get passed in 2008-10 either. I think there is a much higher likelihood that an employer takes actions on their own (like Target for example).

Biggest hurdle is that $15/hr min is crazy in low cost areas, they need some sort of cost of living zoning.

Old 07-22-2019, 07:22 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,960,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Let me ask you something, if you are making $10 an hour now. Why would you find it acceptable to be paid $15 if some HS kid with absolutely no job experience could make that?
Thats silly. A mailman typically makes $26.50 an hour while an ambulance driver makes $12.40 an hour, less than half of the mailman. Meat cutters in production facilities also make significantly more than the typical hair dresser.

Arizona, Maine and California have all raised the minimum wage significantly and there has been no skyrocketing inflation eating up all the gains. Thats just wishful thinking.

Old 07-22-2019, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post

There will be a complex set of reactions and as noted in the thread there has already been checkout automation going on for years.

You're going to see some real desperation out there from the very bottom of the employment ranks. People that struggled to find\keep low paying jobs anyway are going to be frozen out.

Regardless, it won't pass because it's not intended to pass. Didn't get passed in 2008-10 either. I think there is a much higher likelihood that an employer takes actions on their own (like Target for example).

Biggest hurdle is that $15/hr min is crazy in low cost areas, they need some sort of cost of living zoning.
$15 an hour by 2025 is not crazy in any state. Far from it. I do agree that it is crazy low in places like the Bay Area, Honolulu and NYC though. So they should go higher than that by 2025.

Old 07-22-2019, 07:25 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,536,243 times
Quote:

...and you will pay more for these things if the minimum goes up. That $10 represents the value of your labor, the value of your labor doesn't increase by increasing the dollar amount. There may be short term where you will benefit but prices for goods and services will adjust and you'll be back to square. As I already mentioned if you are going from $10 to a minimum of $15 that would be a pay cut long term because you will be at the bottom of the pay scale.

You are assuming a $15 an hour minimum will have same buying power it has now, it will not.

If you want to increase what you make you need to increase the value of your labor. You need a skill or job that someone is willing to pay more for.
And your buying into the fear that everything will double or triple in price. So the out of high school shouldn’t be able to carry his own weight and pay his own bills?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post

As someone else pointed out a while back people don’t want to hear about the struggles of people like myself it goes against everything they are told to believe. Your either rich or poor and no one cares about the poor unless it’s election time.

Old 07-22-2019, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Thats silly.

If I'm paying you $15 an hour now because you have a skill experience or whatever, if my minimum wage HS worker who is doing menial tasks has their pay doubled to to $15 are you going to expect a pay raise? When you get a pay raise is the guy making $25 an hour also going to expect a raise?

Explain how this will not cause inflation? Furthermore if each of these employees does not get a pay raise they effectively will take a pay cut.

Quote:
A mailman typically makes $26.50 an hour while an ambulance driver makes $12.40 an hour,

Instead of complaining about what the mailman is making the ambulance driver needs to increase their skills. EMT >> Paramedic >> Flight Nurse off the top of my head.

Each individual in this country is effectively a business, offer something someone is willing to pay more for.

Old 07-22-2019, 09:43 AM

16,911 posts, read 10,591,580 times
If liberals actually wanted to address low wages and do it wisely they would propose a bill that requires local minimum wage laws to comply with a formula based on the local cost of living.

Old 07-22-2019, 09:48 AM

Quote:
So the out of high school shouldn’t be able to carry his own weight and pay his own bills?

If you are coming out HS with no qualifications you can settle for minimum wage flipping burgers or immediately begin working towards a job with better opportunities. Pick up a trade...

I currently have three sources of income all of which are distinctly different, it didn't start out like that when I came out HS. On top of that I have the ace in the hole with a CDL, with my experience I could have a job making $25 an hour minimum within hours and probably higher because of the contacts I have.

Old 07-22-2019, 09:48 AM

Quote:
If I'm paying you $15 an hour now because you have a skill experience or whatever, if my minimum wage HS worker who is doing menial tasks has their pay doubled to to $15 are you going to expect a pay raise? When you get a pay raise is the guy making $25 an hour also going to expect a raise?

Explain how this will not cause inflation? Furthermore if each of these employees does not get a pay raise they effectively will take a pay cut.

Instead of complaining about what the mailman is making the ambulance driver needs to increase their skills. EMT >> Paramedic >> Flight Nurse off the top of my head.

Each individual in this country is effectively a business, offer something someone is willing to pay more for.
Why not focus on reality instead? The reality is that the labor market is all about leverage. The employer pays whatever he or she can get away with. Not "value" or anything like that.

Who says that minimum wage increases cause zero inflation? The question is whether it causes skyrocketing inflation which eats up the entire wage gain. You claim it does. Reality says it does not. And you know it. You know that Arizona, California and Maine have not had skyrocketing inflation in the past 5 years relative to the trend and national rates.

Not everyone can be some big shot highly skilled worker. Why should the restaurant cook (not fast food) or ambulance driver settle for starvation wages? I dont get it. Workers have every right to organize and fight back. Big capital certainly knows the power of organization. Thats why they fight tooth and nail against labor unions. And yes, mail delivery is well paid because of labor unions. Not because the workers provide so much more "value" or have more "drive" than tens of millions of other workers.

Old 07-22-2019, 10:18 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,536,243 times
Quote:

I could have a job making $25 an hour minimum within hours and probably higher because of the contacts I have.
Typically this is what getting a good job requires even more so in the South East parts of the U.S.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies